Greg McDermott on KXNO today at

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you are between your man and the ball you can deny AND help. It's kind of a funny thing, also the defensive philosophy for Mike Krzyewski, Bob Knight, Lon Krueger...

Haven't you ever been playing a pick-up game and identified who is going to help and who needs to stick with their guy? Haluska is usually the one who needs to stick with his guy.

Furthermore, I have a tough time believing that you have watched Haluska on an island enough to even make a educated judgment on his help defense vs his on the ball defense.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Haluska is one of the best defenders we have. I definitely agree with Gmac on that one. I would tend to agree he is usually on one of the opposing teams best players. I went to a bunch of basketball camps when I was young to, but I still take Gmac's word over mine.......Yessir, he makes more sense then the "hide behind the keyboard head coaches" that go into complete meltdown everytime we lose a game.

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
How about we all eat our young? that seems better than were this thread has went.... attacking other Cyclones about their opinions and thin defenses.....

Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one. And when either one stinks it is the right of your friends/family to point that out...

copenhagen

Apr 23, 2007
Ha! I must say i love it lol

Boy you Haluska haters are looking like fools! I say thank god Sean, Bryan, and Alex walked on. Imagine where the team would be without them!

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Haven't you ever been playing a pick-up game and identified who is going to help and who needs to stick with their guy? Haluska is usually the one who needs to stick with his guy.

Furthermore, I have a tough time believing that you have watched Haluska on an island enough to even make a educated judgment on his help defense vs his on the ball defense.

Not gonna disagree with your bigger point but pick-up game defense is MUCH different than Big 12 defense. I agree there are certain guys you can't help as much off of, but unless you're running a box and 1 or triangle and 2 (something we almost never see with Mac) there needs to be some element of help defense in the Big 12. You can get away with face-guarding or not helping in a pick-up game. I haven't watched Sean play enough basketball against division 1 athletes to make an educated opinion on his "team" defense, but I'd venture a guess that very few if any people on this board have seen him play enough to make that judgment. My opinion is, if Mac says he's our second-best defender, I have to believe it.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Not gonna disagree with your bigger point but pick-up game defense is MUCH different than Big 12 defense. I agree there are certain guys you can't help as much off of, but unless you're running a box and 1 or triangle and 2 (something we almost never see with Mac) there needs to be some element of help defense in the Big 12. You can get away with face-guarding or not helping in a pick-up game. I haven't watched Sean play enough basketball against division 1 athletes to make an educated opinion on his "team" defense, but I'd venture a guess that very few if any people on this board have seen him play enough to make that judgment. My opinion is, if Mac says he's our second-best defender, I have to believe it.

Well, the bigger point was what I was trying to make. Some people you are just not going to help off, regardless of the level of competition.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Well, the bigger point was what I was trying to make. Some people you are just not going to help off, regardless of the level of competition.

So let's say Haluska is guarding the other team's best player. That guy goes and sets a pick at the top of the key for his point guard. The point guard uses it and makes a step towards the basket like he's going to drive. You're saying Haluska shouldn't hedge on that screen? Not trying to be smart, just trying to understand exactly what you're saying? Because the way I'm taking it is that you would want Haluska to essentially face guard his guy.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
So let's say Haluska is guarding the other team's best player. That guy goes and sets a pick at the top of the key for his point guard. The point guard uses it and makes a step towards the basket like he's going to drive. You're saying Haluska shouldn't hedge on that screen? Not trying to be smart, just trying to understand exactly what you're saying? Because the way I'm taking it is that you would want Haluska to essentially face guard his guy.

NO, of course not. I am referring more to things like doubling down on a big or jumping a passing lane. Of course you have to help or switch on a pick.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
The reason I through out those three is because I went to Duke and Florida basketball camps every year growing up and my high school coach played for Knight with Coach K and taught the same system as Knight.

I'm just going to leave the basketball camps part of that alone, but don't you think the high school version is going to be a lot different than the Big 12 version of defense even if we were running Knight's exact version of man defense? Think about the caliber of player that you see in a high school game against what we see in the Big 12. You're not going to be able to sag into help side as much against a higher level player because you'll get burnt on a skip pass that a perimeter player will can every time without a hand in their face, especially one of the better players who Haluska has been guarding. He is quick, has active hands, and is a great on-the-ball defender. If you can't see those things at least it makes me wonder what they are teaching kids at these Gator and Blue Devil camps! Ok sorry, I lied about leaving the basketball camps alone :biglaugh:

ArathornClone

Oct 10, 2006
Maybe Sean isn't the best defender GMac has seen, but maybe, just maybe he does what GMac wants better than the other players. Garrett has all the ability to be a better defender that Sean, but maybe he just hasn't grasped the concepts that GMac is trying to teach him yet.

All I know is this, when Sean is in there, good things seem to happen on the defensive end. He gets his hands on passes, causes problems for the dribbler and generally plays good defense.

Bingo! Go back and read the original "quote" of what GMac said ---

"...just said that Haluska has been our most consistent defender except for Rahshon Clark"

Now, I didn't play basketball but I believe there is a difference between "best" and "most consistent." I take this to mean that perhaps others like Garrett is a better defender but only in spurts or perhaps for every great defensive play Garrett makes he has 3 screw ups. (just using Garrett as an example, not being literal.) So, saying Haluska is the most consistent defender other than Rahshon to me says he is more often than not defending well and do the things GMac is trying to teach. Does that mean the "best?" Not sure 'consistent' and 'best' are synonymous. But maybe I'm splitting hairs.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm just going to leave the basketball camps part of that alone, but don't you think the high school version is going to be a lot different than the Big 12 version of defense even if we were running Knight's exact version of man defense? Think about the caliber of player that you see in a high school game against what we see in the Big 12. You're not going to be able to sag into help side as much against a higher level player because you'll get burnt on a skip pass that a perimeter player will can every time without a hand in their face, especially one of the better players who Haluska has been guarding. He is quick, has active hands, and is a great on-the-ball defender. If you can't see those things at least it makes me wonder what they are teaching kids at these Gator and Blue Devil camps! Ok sorry, I lied about leaving the basketball camps alone :biglaugh:

After this I'm just gonna stay out of it and let so ya'll can just keep up the attacks if you want. Both Knight and K encourage letting the team skip pass. If you are in the right position you should be able to recover, break down, and still man up. The thing that really got to me about Sean was the Drake game. There were a number of times the next man over beat his man off the dribble and he still had his back to the ball on his man. All it would have taken was one step to open up and stop the dribble. After that I really began to watch the D alot. Maybe guys like Boozer, Cory J. and Thompson are told something different but it seems like they really get the help D. concept. Other then that, I can't think of any situation not to deny passing lanes...Peace, I'm out...

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
After this I'm just gonna stay out of it and let so ya'll can just keep up the attacks if you want. Both Knight and K encourage letting the team skip pass. If you are in the right position you should be able to recover, break down, and still man up. The thing that really got to me about Sean was the Drake game. There were a number of times the next man over beat his man off the dribble and he still had his back to the ball on his man. All it would have taken was one step to open up and stop the dribble. After that I really began to watch the D alot. Maybe guys like Boozer, Cory J. and Thompson are told something different but it seems like they really get the help D. concept. Other then that, I can't think of any situation not to deny passing lanes...Peace, I'm out...

If McDermott wanted him to help on those drives and he didn't than McDermott wouldn't be calling him his most consistant defender. Blame McDermotts defensive plan there, not Haluska's execution of it.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Bingo! Go back and read the original "quote" of what GMac said ---

"...just said that Haluska has been our most consistent defender except for Rahshon Clark"

Now, I didn't play basketball but I believe there is a difference between "best" and "most consistent." I take this to mean that perhaps others like Garrett is a better defender but only in spurts or perhaps for every great defensive play Garrett makes he has 3 screw ups. (just using Garrett as an example, not being literal.) So, saying Haluska is the most consistent defender other than Rahshon to me says he is more often than not defending well and do the things GMac is trying to teach. Does that mean the "best?" Not sure 'consistent' and 'best' are synonymous. But maybe I'm splitting hairs.

Yeah, you're right on.