Greg McDermott on KXNO today at

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
So now you are smarter than McDerrmott? What does it take for you to admit you are clearly wrong?

When Haluska is in, he is usually guarding the other teams best outside shooter, in which case you want him to stick to his man, not sag off.

actually if he is guarding the best player I would like him to deny the ball so he doesn't get the ball in the first place. I am not saying I am smarter than McDermott, but I don't agree with the philosophy of letting a wing catch the ball uncontested.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
actually if he is guarding the best player I would like him to deny the ball so he doesn't get the ball in the first place.

I thought you were complaining that he doesn't sag off when the ball is on the other side of the court?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Mac on Haluska: Anyone that saw him playing in the Cap league knows that he has the ability to make shots...making shots is making shots no matter what the level of play.

I guess I'll have to disagree with that statement. In my experience, it's easier to make shots against slack defense than it is to make shots in a game where 1) someone is hawking you defense, and 2) you have to expend a ton of energy guarding your guy on the other end. Maybe SH is in a slump, or maybe he's just not able to make shots against tough D. Time will tell...

I'm curious as to who guards SH in practice.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It is funny...message board poster says he's one of the worst off the ball defenders on the team. McDermott says he is the best overall defender besides Clark...Keep in mind out of those coaches you listed as your example-Bobby Knight thinks VERY highly of McDermott as a coach. He is the only one out of the three I can speak for, but if we're gonna throw out examples. Also, many, many, many coaches and experts of high esteem speak very highly of Greg's basketball IQ and coaching abilities. I'm sorry, but Greg McDermott knows more about defense than you...by a wide, wide margin.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Also ask Lickliter (national coach of the year) what he thinks of Greg's defensive philosiphy...McDermott didn't build a winner at UNI by dropping 85 a game on teams, he did it by focusing primarily on defense. This is one of the dumber debates I've seen on here.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It is funny...message board poster says he's one of the worst off the ball defenders on the team. McDermott says he is the best overall defender besides Clark...Keep in mind out of those coaches you listed as your example-Bobby Knight thinks VERY highly of McDermott as a coach. He is the only one out of the three I can speak for, but if we're gonna throw out examples. Also, many, many, many coaches and experts of high esteem speak very highly of Greg's basketball IQ and coaching abilities. I'm sorry, but Greg McDermott knows more about defense than you...by a wide, wide margin.

The reason I through out those three is because I went to Duke and Florida basketball camps every year growing up and my high school coach played for Knight with Coach K and taught the same system as Knight.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Different coaches have different systems...different systems work if executed properly-and McDermott knows FAR more about playing defense at the D1 level than you or me....so I'll take his word on it. Floyd, Eustachy, and McDermott all use different defensive strategies, but all three are very highly thought of across the nation from an X's and O's standpoint.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Sean might have developed his defensive skills while playing against brother Adam. He must have learned how to avoid fouling Adam.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Anyone thinking they are smarter then our coach? I'll give that a big thumbs down..

ThumbsDown.jpg

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Grew up a cyclone fan, but when I was little my parents did make make me watch Iowa games and learn the Iowa fight song. Back in the 80's, ISU games weren't on very much where we were and Iowa was always on. I still haven't forgiven them for making me cheer on the Hawks.

(They were ISU season BB ticket holders, so they aren't all bad.

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
The reason I through out those three is because I went to Duke and Florida basketball camps every year growing up and my high school coach played for Knight with Coach K and taught the same system as Knight.

LOL, well why didn't you just say that in the first place!!! If I had known you went to the Duke and Florida basketball camps growing up then I NEVER would have doubted your opinions.

I bow to your superior basketball intelligence... Hey, by the way where are you coaching at these days???

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
If you are in the market for anything musically related, go to Professional Music Center in Clive. Or if you are concerned about too much chlorine in your water, give my friend Boyd a call at 27-6250...now, back to the text pirating ;)

I'm related to Boyd. Give him a call, he fixed my crappy Marion water.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I could care less about the name, but defense is more than on the ball defending. Players need to deny the passing lane and play help defense, Haluska does not do this... If that is our defensive philosophy we will get killed by good big men or teams that can shoot the three...

Give McDermott a call about defensive philosophies. I'm sure he hasn't learned this stuff.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I would worry more about the offense. Really the offense is inept and the defense is pretty good.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Defense is a team thing. I'm firmly on the side of supporting Haluska's defense and I'll trust that he's doing what GMAC wants. I'll address a couple things here.

If GMAC thinks Sean is the best besides Clark, then he's probably guarding the best offensive player. Its quite possible that he doesn't want to have Sean play much help defense as it will open up a guy that can hurt us more.

As for denying the passing lanes, its a great thing as long as you have the skills to do it and the rest of your team is good on help defense. If your help defense is weak and you are guarding a quicker player, the other team will burn you on the back door too much. Maybe Brackins can help on the backdoor, but our other guards are slow on the rotation to cover Brackins' man. Maybe Sean has to protect against having new players learning team defense. If the other players haven't figured things out yet, then everyone has to compensate and maybe thats why Haluska isn't doing the things all our message board experts are demanding.

Maybe Sean isn't the best defender GMac has seen, but maybe, just maybe he does what GMac wants better than the other players. Garrett has all the ability to be a better defender that Sean, but maybe he just hasn't grasped the concepts that GMac is trying to teach him yet.

All I know is this, when Sean is in there, good things seem to happen on the defensive end. He gets his hands on passes, causes problems for the dribbler and generally plays good defense.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007

It's hard to believe JP picked McD over someone with that type of experience.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
How about we all eat our young? that seems better than were this thread has went.... attacking other Cyclones about their opinions and thin defenses.....

-keep

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
As long as Rashon is on the court I do not worry about defense. Even Drake scored only 79. When someone like Kansas hits 90, then I will worry. Hope Rashon takes more shots. He is a better shooter this year. He has a better mix of shots this year.

Last edited: