Will there be any true freshman playing this fall?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Netten, Aka, and Wiliams should be the top three not to RS. Maybe Mutcherson too.

Mutcherson will redshirt from what I have heard and read. He's a player but he hasn't played in two years. After that, game on.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Mutcherson will redshirt from what I have heard and read. He's a player but he hasn't played in two years. After that, game on.

Yeah I wasn't sure about his situation or if he even could. I know the staff loves him but think he's raw kinda like Irving.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Most likely only Cole Netten will play. Redshirt the rest and build them up and get them ready.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I would love Rohach to come in and destroy our QB's and start.

Keep dreaming. CW was on KXNO last night, and he put it best - if a true freshman walks onto campus this summer with zero experience playing with the team or working with the playbook and beats out two guys with Big 12 experience plus a well regarded sophomore for the starting job in the matter of a few weeks, then we better be really excited about ISU football for the next four years.

It would be cool if he was that good, but I'm not counting on it.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I can't believe it took 13 posts to get to a qb playing,nice.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Keep dreaming. CW was on KXNO last night, and he put it best - if a true freshman walks onto campus this summer with zero experience playing with the team or working with the playbook and beats out two guys with Big 12 experience plus a well regarded sophomore for the starting job in the matter of a few weeks, then we better be really excited about ISU football for the next four years.

It would be cool if he was that good, but I'm not counting on it.

I can't believe it took 13 posts to get to a qb playing,nice.

I am not saying he is absolutely awesome, I am just saying our QB situation is not good at all. The completion % for both guys is not good and they are both turnover prone. Neither one can hit open guys, it is amazing. Here's to hoping they improve by leaps and bounds, this would get ISU to average QB play.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I am not saying he is absolutely awesome, I am just saying our QB situation is not good at all. The completion % for both guys is not good and they are both turnover prone. Neither one can hit open guys, it is amazing. Here's to hoping they improve by leaps and bounds, this would get ISU to average QB play.

So you think an 18 year old true freshman would have a better completion percentage and better grasp of the playbook. You think that is even possible?

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I think the only "true" freshmen that have a chance to play this fall would be the ones with the Big 12 bodies. Those guys would be Aka, Williams, or maybe White or West. Rohach will not play. Netten will for sure, obviously.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Aka and Big Dawg will see time for sure.

Unless they are just tha good or we really need them to play in depth positions I would love for them to get that redshirt year. It really helps players, especially lineman, acclimate the the college game. These two especially will be even better next year with a full year of college S&C. I also want them here and at their peak for as long as possible. Redshirting will get them closer to that peak with 4 years left to play.

Just think if we had the luxury to redshirt Irving last year. We would have him for another year longer. Same with George. He is just now coming into his own and he will be a Jr this season. He will play solid minutes this year but will only have a chance to start full time next year as a Sr. I'd love to have him for that extra year.

Last edited:

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Unless they are just tha good or we really need them to play in depth positions I would love for them to get that redshirt year. It really helps players, especially lineman, acclimate the the college game. These two especially will be even better next year with a full year of college S&C. I also want them here and at their peak for as long as possible. Redshirting will get them closer to that peak with 4 years left to play.

Just think if we had the luxury to redshirt Irving last year. We would have him for another year longer.

I agree. As long as there are no more injuries at guard, Williams should redshirt, assuming he isn't good enough to start from day 1. I doubt that happens.

Aka should redshirt as long as he isn't one of the top 4 defensive ends.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I agree. As long as there are no more injuries at guard, Williams should redshirt, assuming he isn't good enough to start from day 1. I doubt that happens.

Aka should redshirt as long as he isn't one of the top 4 defensive ends.

Oh, and don't forget that Big Dawg was hurt all last year. I think it would be good for him to use this year to get stronger and be that much more prepared for next season.

Reactions: isufan

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think Aka coming in and playing could be a good thing. That means he's as good as expected and he can have solid pt before he's asked to step in and start next season. Knott and Klein played their freshman seasons for that very reason.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I think Aka coming in and playing could be a good thing. That means he's as good as expected and he can have solid pt before he's asked to step in and start next season. Knott and Klein played their freshman seasons for that very reason.

Right, but even the coaches had admitted they wish they could have redshirted Klein and Knott. If there is enough quality bodies in front of the freshmen, they need a redshirt year.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Maybe a QB?

images

Last edited:

sp8815

Apr 10, 2006
I expect the Manatee linebacker not to redshirt and have a special teams role similar to Klein, Knott, and Miller as freshmen.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I expect the Manatee linebacker not to redshirt and have a special teams role similar to Klein, Knott, and Miller as freshmen.

I could see that.

George, Miller, Morgan, & Morton, are all the backup linebackers who would take up all the special teams LB responsibilities. Either George or Miller will likely be starting. So that leaves 3 backup linebackers to take special team duties. Do we usually use more than that? I would guess so?