Spring Game Attendance

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'll preface my observations with first saying that I couldn't make the spring game last year due to a prior committment, so I don't know what attendance was like last year. However, was it just me or did it seem like we had the largest attendance we've had in while for the spring game? The lower West side looked nearly full. My favorite part is also always the tailgating, and it seemed to me like a record tailgate for one too. Am I right in this or just delusional?

I know it is somewhat impossible to tell attendance exactly, as the university doesn't take a count on people coming in, so it really comes down to an eyeball test. This good attendance also says a lot beings how the weather prospects coming in were pretty dicey at best, even though the bad weather mostly held off until a little sprinkling in the 4th quarter.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I thought it was great, ive only been to 5 or so but I think this was the highest yet. I also noticed that the tailgating was good as opposed to years past.

One observation, I generally dont enjoy the spring game to much because its so dead and quiet in the stadium, I think they should play music and the siren ect and do the first down thing just like games. Would make the crowd expierience more entertaining imo.

I do however realize this is a practice so it would make it near impossible for the players to hear the coaches ect.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
It's been exactly the same for the last 5 years IMO. You can probably go back and find threads saying how the lower level of one side was "almost full". Truth is, it was probably only just over half full if you put 1 person on every seat.

4-5k is about right.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
I thought the turnout was pretty good considering that in previous years it had fallen on the Saturday of VEISHEA. This is also a reason that tailgating was probably better too.

I thought we had a few more than last year but I might I wouldn't be surprised if it was about the same.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
Lot of folks there, but security was pretty lax. Me and my 3 buddies walked right down to the sidelines for most of the 2nd half.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
It did look almost half full on the east side while siting on the west side. Good crowd for a crappy day/forcast.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I hope the AD does some more promotions in the future or something to get more fans to the spring game. That has potential in the future to be very good for the football program.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I hope the AD does some more promotions in the future or something to get more fans to the spring game.

Why? It's a glorified practice. Nobody is willing to pay to attend. And having 20,000 people in the stands with $0 to show for it seems counterproductive, especially if you're spending money to promote it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron