are we a basketball school again?

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
question fanatics. seems like we were trending toward a football school, but with the spring game today, I find myself not really into it like previous years. still dwelling on basketball being over. what do the rest of you feel?

K

KFitzy87

I think we've always been a basketball school even during the Doormat years

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
watching the spring game got me back into the football rhythm but until about a week ago I was still all BB...

I think both of our BIG athletics are on the rise causing me to be excited for everything ISU. Which in return is getting my girlfriend more and more mad at me for spending so much time on CF...

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
watching the spring game got me back into the football rhythm but until about a week ago I was still all BB...

I think both of our BIG athletics are on the rise causing me to be excited for everything ISU. Which in return is getting my girlfriend more and more mad at me for spending so much time on CF...
It's hard to imagine Sam getting mad at anybody. :unsure:

Heilsqauvador

Aug 21, 2011
Hampton, IA

Don't ever let your girlfriend on here. :realmad:
She gets more rep than you...

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
It doesn't always have to be either/or. I see us trending towards having a very solid balance between both, as we experienced briefly in the early 2000s.

Hopefully we avoid devastating controversy and hang on to our coaches and athletics director. If we do that, I don't see any reason it can't be [reasonably] sustained this time around.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Both programs are definitely headed in the right direction I'd say. BB however is definitely trending upward faster IMO. Nothing against football, but that's just how I see it. The coming year will be a big one in terms of proving worth for both teams

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I predict a very bad season in football. Not to put the cart in front of the horse, just a gut feeling. Not trying to be negative though.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It doesn't always have to be either/or. I see us trending towards having a very solid balance between both, as we experienced briefly in the early 2000s.

Hopefully we avoid devastating controversy and hang on to our coaches and athletics director. If we do that, I don't see any reason it can't be [reasonably] sustained this time around.

Exactly. I'd even go for more than that - I'd like to be dominant in both like Wisconsin and Ohio St.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Not many people besides Cyclone fans would consider us either. We are maybe trending towards both, although MBB has a much bigger ceiling, IMO.

I think we obviously have two very good coaches, so if they stay in tact for some time, we should be sitting pretty well in both major sports. I don't know if we can ever be a "football school". I'm just not convinced that we will ever be a perennial top half B12 football team.

MBB on the other hand, could very easily turn into that and could end up even more like top 3, if Hoiberg can start to deliver better players.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I think that it is easier to build a basketball team than it is a football team. Since in basketball, a team really needs to have that one guy who can make everyone on the floor a lot better, opposed to football where a team needs a good solid core of guys. Right now I would say that ISU is more a basketball since they just finished as one of the top 3 teams in the Big XII along with one game in the NCAA tournament. Until the football team can start winning more than 3 conference games a year, there is going to be more excitement for basketball season.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Being born in 79, I have always been a bball first guy. We were pretty horrible in the 80's in football. It helped growing up with season bball tix too.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Not many people besides Cyclone fans would consider us either. We are maybe trending towards both, although MBB has a much bigger ceiling, IMO.
I agree, but I was answering the question from a Cyclone perspective, which means we have to take our own history/expectations in each sport into account. The past seasons were "solid" for both programs, historically speaking.

In my opinion, we are trending towards having consistently solid football and MBB teams. For football that means expecting 6/7 wins each season, and getting 8/9 win seasons here and there. For basketball that means being able to reasonably expect a NCAA tourney team most years, and occasionally finishing in the top 3 in the conference.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
we don't have a winning overall record in either of those sports. can we legitimately call ourselves either?
you know what I mean. we were tending toward being more fanatical toward football. now is say its swung back to basketball. this is just a statement about our fan base.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron