Paul Rhoads Press Conference from Today

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Sounds like Mess has already done a good job of improving the QB's mechanics, and he still has plenty of time to get more work done.

cyrider2014

Aug 11, 2010
Iowa
OK CYCLoneNation, Efficiency or Flash?

As for me:
Efficiency, all day- every day without even a single split second's worth of thought or hesitation.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Provided out WRs show they can run after the catch and act as the playmakers, I'll take Barnett's efficiency over Jantz's flashiness. If our WRs don't improve we are going to need a QB to make the plays himself. I think our WRs will be better, and adding Nealy will allow the skill position players to be more explosive.

R1975P

Aug 17, 2009
Irvington
That was a good one , I heard the scream all the way to Irvington.
Maybe that will make it rain. If it does, I will buy CW dinner.

D

DistrictCyclone

That was a good one , I heard the scream all the way to Irvington.
Maybe that will make it rain. If it does, I will buy CW dinner.

Have you asked CPR for some water? Maybe you should email Pollard?

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Said Irving and Neely were not overly impressive at this point.

Whoever said JB had it locked up was smoking some bad weed. CPR spent more time talking about SJ than JB. It seems to me like JB is slightly ahead, but he is topped out and SJ still has a learning curve. Is there any advantage to NOT naming the starter, if you've already made your mind up?

Shaban Dika has a torn ACL, another guy sprained his ankle. Injury updates on Magitt, Daniels, Young - good to go.

CPR likes Tyler Leo. I've never seen him play.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Don't know if this was mentioned in Press Conference but browsing footballscoop.com I saw that Shane Burnham has added the title of special teams coordinator. Not huge news as I think most of us basically saw him as this but now it is an official title.

FootballScoop - The Scoop

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Said Irving and Neely were not overly impressive at this point.

Whoever said JB had it locked up was smoking some bad weed. CPR spent more time talking about SJ than JB. It seems to me like JB is slightly ahead, but he is topped out and SJ still has a learning curve. Is there any advantage to NOT naming the starter, if you've already made your mind up?

Shaban Dika has a torn ACL, another guy sprained his ankle. Injury updates on Magitt, Daniels, Young - good to go.

CPR likes Tyler Leo. I've never seen him play.

Is this a joke? Please tell me all of that was a joke.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
Iowa State hands offense to Messingham | iowa, ames, messingham - College Football Capsules - Brownsville Herald

Senior Steele Jantz and sophomore Jared Barnett have split time at quarterback this spring and the race for the starting job won't be decided until August at the earliest. According to Rhoads, Barnett and Jantz have both improved their decision-making and are more comfortable with the offense.

Jantz has shown the same attributes this spring that earned him the starting job last fall, when he led the Cyclones to a 3-0 start before a foot injury precipitated a downturn that landed him on the bench behind Barnett.

It's clear the coaching staff sees more raw talent from Jantz. That means Barnett must manage the game as well as he possibly can, and he apparently did just that in a scrimmage last Saturday.

"(Barnett) is not a flashy guy. He doesn't have the biggest arm. But his football teams were productive," Rhoads said. "(Jantz) was a little flashy. He showed us the same guy that we saw in the first 2 1/2 games with his escapability, with his ability to make people miss. He does have great velocity on his ball."

Rhoads said both quarterbacks have benefitted from the switch to Messingham, including improved mechanics and foot work. Third-string quarterback Sam Richardson, a redshirt freshman, said Messingham is also more "understanding" than Herman, who he said could be demanding and less willing to explain things.

"I think (Messingham) does a much better job trying to teaching you exactly what you need to do on everything," Richardson said.

That "team" comment is very important in this sport. One guy can't do it by himself...especially when your trying to be more productive offensively.

Last edited: