EXTRA POINTS: Pass game potential, more notes

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
“I think there is unlimited potential with what David can become. Your first inclination is that he’s going to get so big he’s going to be a tackle but he’s got enough athleticism that he’s going to be able to stay at end the whole time. It doesn’t matter if he gets to 290. He’s going to be able to stay as a defensive end. He’s still just a young football player and I don’t mean that in the sense that he’s just a true freshman here still going into his sophomore year. He hasn’t played that much football overall, not playing much in high school. He’s still learning the game. He’s still learning the level of aggression that you need to play with, especially on the defensive line to be successful. As he starts to acquire that, he can really become into a fine defensive lineman in this program.”
Wow. Just...wow.

Of course, the rest of the paragraph is CPR saying that Irving is really, really green--but I'm good with that. :wink:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
He's should be an All-American and huge name for ISU football
CPR and his staff seem to be doing an incredible job of identifying and landing those undiscovered, overlooked nuggets, from Klein and Knott to Irving, a couple of his classmates, and a couple of the guys in this most recent signing class.

I'm happy with that!

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I'm worried Irving won't really come into his own until his Senior year and then he will be gone too quickly. I want at least 2 years of domination from the big guy.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm worried Irving won't really come into his own until his Senior year and then he will be gone too quickly. I want at least 2 years of domination from the big guy.
Sigh. Would you rather he "came into his own" after he left ISU--as Reggie Hayward did?

He's already ahead of Reggie's curve.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
So is the reason we always see pictures of Barnett and never see pictures of Jantz and always see quotes from Barnett but never see quotes from Jantz because Jantz has already lost out, because only Barnett gives interviews, or because of something else?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
So is the reason we always see pictures of Barnett and never see pictures of Jantz and always see quotes from Barnett but never see quotes from Jantz because Jantz has already lost out, because only Barnett gives interviews, or because of something else?
Perhaps the reason is that you haven't been looking or listening in the right place?

Especially since CPR said Tuesday that he wouldn't decide before the Fall...

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Perhaps the reason is that you haven't been looking or listening in the right place?

Especially since CPR said Tuesday that he wouldn't decide before the Fall...

I'm well aware of what CPR said, friend.

Perhaps Cyclone Fanatic is the wrong place to look for such information.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Sigh. Would you rather he "came into his own" after he left ISU--as Reggie Hayward did?

He's already ahead of Reggie's curve.

no he is not. Reggie was on the field a bunch his freshmen year, much much more than the little exposure to live action that Irving had. IMO, we should redshirt him. He obviously needs that extra year from lack of overall football experience.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames

I wondered this exact same thing after reading this story

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
no he is not. Reggie was on the field a bunch his freshmen year, much much more than the little exposure to live action that Irving had. IMO, we should redshirt him. He obviously needs that extra year from lack of overall football experience.

Reggie also played on a 1-10 team. There was no one in front of him on the depth chart.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
You're reading into things. Steele has been on our front page plenty of times. Last Saturday Steele wasn't available to interview. Today I was interviewing Jared and Steele was gone by the time I got done. Simple as that. Believe what you want though.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You're reading into things. Steele has been on our front page plenty of times. Last Saturday Steele wasn't available to interview. Today I was interviewing Jared and Steele was gone by the time I got done. Simple as that. Believe what you want though.

I'm assuming that Steele was called away to take care of some kind of trouble in Metropolis. :smile:

Reactions: Aclone

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Perhaps the reason is that you haven't been looking or listening in the right place? Especially since CPR said Tuesday that he wouldn't decide before the Fall...
I'm well aware of what CPR said, friend.Perhaps Cyclone Fanatic is the wrong place to look for such information.
We are a free website that produced four pieces of content from one spring scrimmage today. If that is not enough then perhaps you should be looking elsewhere.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
We are a free website that produced four pieces of content from one spring scrimmage today. If that is not enough then perhaps you should be looking elsewhere.

If that were not enough, then I would.

Please read the comment in context. I posted a legitimate question which posed a number of potential alternative reasons why there don't seem to be quotes from Steele Jantz or pictures of Steele Jantz in recent reports about the football team. The poster I was responding to suggested that perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place. My response was directed at his suggestion.

Luckily I see you are on the scene, Mr. CW. Are you able to answer the original question posed (by which I mean are you at liberty to discuss it?). Perhaps Jantz isn't giving interviews. I honestly don't know and I was curious.

OK NOW I SEE YOUR RESPONSE ABOVE. Thank you.

Last edited: