How much better is ISU basketball in just 2 years?

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Well had a big lead and should have beat KU at the Phog and beat them in Hilton (in final two). Was tied with Kentucky in the 2nd half (in final two). Just sayin its kind of cool to think of the progression in just two years...

Last edited:

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Well had a big lead and should have beat KU at the Phog and beat them in Hilton (final four team and may be in final two). Was tied with Kentucky in the 2nd half (in final two). Just sayin its kind of cool to think of the progression in just two years...
Not only that, but ISU was playing some great ball towards the end of the season. This is where the tourney seeding irks me just a bit, even though it didn't surprise me. ISU may have received the seed that it "deserved" but I don't believe it reflected the caliber of team that it was/was becoming to close the season. And I can't help but wonder where they would have been ranked/seeded, with the same season results, had there been a bit more preseason recognition of the talent that CFH had amassed.

But it's not worth fretting over as ISU bball is heading in a positive direction.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I still think we deserved a better seed and would have gone further with a different seeding.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I suck Kool aid down by the gallon, and the two year progression is better than I could have hoped.

Me, too.

Unless this season happened to be a misleading anomaly in the long-term (and little reason to believe that's the case) — think about how much better we're feeling compared to March 2010.

And '09, and so on...

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I agree. This team was easily Sweet 16 good, and possibly Final 8 good with the right seeding. Oh well, they represented us well either way, and you have to play your draw.

True, nothing to be ashamed for what we accomplished this year.

Heilsqauvador

Aug 21, 2011
Hampton, IA
I started paying attention to ISU basketball right after the glory years, during the Stinson Blalock and Clark period. I have never experienced this much success as a fan. It feels pretty good. :yes:

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Agree with all that has been said, but we should have taken care of Texas to deserve a better seed. I think we would have been fine with our seed if we didn't have to go with Kentucky as the #1 in our region.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It is too bad that ISU was stuck at the deadly 8-9 game, where the winner gets to play a 1 seed on practically a home court. Still, the Clones had a pretty good chance against KU, if they could have made the open shots they got and if KU would have not been on fire.

It was much better to be playing the number one team in the country in the NCAA, rather than hoping to get in the NIT like under McD.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not only that, but ISU was playing some great ball towards the end of the season. This is where the tourney seeding irks me just a bit, even though it didn't surprise me. ISU may have received the seed that it "deserved" but I don't believe it reflected the caliber of team that it was/was becoming to close the season. And I can't help but wonder where they would have been ranked/seeded, with the same season results, had there been a bit more preseason recognition of the talent that CFH had amassed.

But it's not worth fretting over as ISU bball is heading in a positive direction.

As good as Kentucky is, really one of the best teams I've seen in a while, it was also kind of stupid they got ISU/UConn for a second round opponent.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
It is too bad that ISU was stuck at the deadly 8-9 game, where the winner gets to play a 1 seed on practically a home court. Still, the Clones had a pretty good chance against KU, if they could have made the open shots they got and if KU would have not been on fire. It was much better to be playing the number one team in the country in the NCAA, rather than hoping to get in the NIT like under McD.

UK?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I still think we deserved a better seed and would have gone further with a different seeding.

You cannot lose to Drake, UNI, Oky State, and Texas twice and then ***** about your seed. It sucks but take care of the games you should win and the seeds will take care of themself.

HiltonMagic23

Feb 27, 2012
This thread just makes me think how much national recognition we would have next year if Royce was coming back. Damn

Nihawk

Nov 3, 2009
You cannot lose to Drake, UNI, Oky State, and Texas twice and then ***** about your seed. It sucks but take care of the games you should win and the seeds will take care of themself.

Finally the voice of reason! I wanted ISU to do well, but they had just lost to the 11th seed a week earlier. Bad seed no doubt but not without warrant.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I am not one that thinks we were screwed in our seeding. It was probably right on, although the B12 was probably under-respected overall.

My beef, is more with the team. We should have taken care of biz against Texas, because we could have made an Elite 8 run if we hadn't run into the buzzsaw that is UK.

We still had more room in our ceiling. Now of course the same could be said for a lot of teams that lost before the Sweet 16.