New TV, help me out.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
We just got a new tv we want to mount on the wall in our living room. The mount we purchased is a swivel/pivot mount. We would be putting it up fairly close to a window so we are a bit concerned about that.

I am looking for a service to come in and do this. I ordered the TV and mount online so some places will not touch it and I also do not want to shell out for an electrician to put in new wiring to hide the cords. (unless someone knows of anyone that would do it all for under $250.)

I, along with a friend, installed the TV in our basement but we did not do anything out of the ordinary and I am not very handy.

Any ideas on who I can call? A lot of places around Des Moines will only install what they sell.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Buy a Powerbridge (or alternative) PowerBridge In-Wall Power Extension System Home

Unless you're doing something weird, you should be able to do this in an hour or so. And wall mounts are simple. Literally 4 "screws"

Yep...

Maybe buy a stud finder, but otherwise this is a pretty easy install. I've never had a problem with the toggle bolts, but for my tv (will be pride and joy when I get it finally) I'd only trust the mount if attached to studs. Should be easy to do, but try to get the mount attached to two different studs, (one is better than none (with wall anchors elsewhere)
if you're in that predicament).

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I did this project a while ago, I was scared I would mess it up. Turned out to be the easiest home improvement project I have ever done. Just go for it, you will be fine. Just make sure you get the lag bolts in the mount in studs, that is about the only way to mess it up. Ohhh, and triple check it is level before you bolt it down.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I really like the Powerbridge set-up. I don't have it, but it looks a lot cleaner then cutting out holes in the wall and running the wires through those. The only problem is that I have a sound bar that I wanted to also mount to the wall. Instead, I'll have to set it on the stand below the tv.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Yeah thanks for that powerbridge link. I think I am going to get one of those for my setup.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I have a guy coming in next week that is going to reroute the cable wire and electric wires to go behind the wall mount so there are no visible cords. He will also do the mount for a total of $200. I thought it was a good deal.

I did do the one in the basement and my stud finder did not work! Of course the studs were something like 14 inches apart, not 16. Awesome huh? Luckily there was open space behind the wall to figure that out even though I had to crawl under the steps.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Yeah thanks for that powerbridge link. I think I am going to get one of those for my setup.

I bought the Monoprice version of the Powerbridge, but it was pretty slick. And supposedly, it is all kosher for electric codes. IF that matters to anybody. :laugh:

You do have to buy the Romex separately though. Any hardware store/home improvement store has that, though.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I bought the Monoprice version of the Powerbridge, but it was pretty slick. And supposedly, it is all kosher for electric codes. IF that matters to anybody. :laugh:

You do have to buy the Romex separately though. Any hardware store/home improvement store has that, though.

What? You mean my extension cord running through the wall is not up to code?