Royce and ISU getting some love - Huffington Post

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
"But White's best moment may have actually been when he got so fired up that he started to violently pound his chest and scream at the Kentucky players, only to have CBS cut him from camera."

classic. i love Royce

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah, loved that quote. Dude had some adrenaline for sure.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
nice. Really going to miss him, not just for who he was on the court, but for who he was off of it. One of my favorite Cyclones of all time.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
"But White's best moment may have actually been when he got so fired up that he started to violently pound his chest and scream at the Kentucky players, only to have CBS cut him from camera."

classic. i love Royce

So, what did he say? I read a Kentucky fan post that quoted him as saying "I'm the best player in the nation," but have heard others who think he said "I'm the best player on the floor."

Also, who was he talking to? I've heard that he was staring at the bench, but it seems like he might be staring at Anthony Davis.

At any rate, some Kentucky fans point to this as a game-changer, namely that Kentucky went on a tear after this. As I watched the game, I was looking to see if Kentucky players were giving it back to him and it didn't seem like they were (except for going on a run and winning the game). It seems like they would have been talking back to him during the end and after the game if he had said it to Davis.

I don't know, so this seemed like a good place to try to nail it down for sure.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So, what did he say? I read a Kentucky fan post that quoted him as saying "I'm the best player in the nation," but have heard others who think he said "I'm the best player on the floor."

Also, who was he talking to? I've heard that he was staring at the bench, but it seems like he might be staring at Anthony Davis.

At any rate, some Kentucky fans point to this as a game-changer, namely that Kentucky went on a tear after this. As I watched the game, I was looking to see if Kentucky players were giving it back to him and it didn't seem like they were (except for going on a run and winning the game). It seems like they would have been talking back to him during the end and after the game if he had said it to Davis.

I thought he said it to the Cyclone fans in the audience.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Love that video, but a Royce White tribute HAS to have passing. It just has to. Never in the history of Iowa State basketball have we had a big man passer like him. Hell, college basketball has seen few of them.

Anyone up to the challenge of making a Royce White passing highlight video!?

:smile:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That was my impression. He appeared to be looking over the scorer's table/Cyclone bench towards our fans.

This would explain why there wasn't an overt reaction from the Kentucky players.

At the time, I thought if he was talking to Kentucky players, it was going to be one of the coolest moments in sports history if he led us to the upset win (or a colossal mistake if he started something he couldn't finish). Turns out that it may not have even been that much of a game factor other than him getting fired up for a moment that didn't translate into much game impact.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Royce wasn't taunting the Kentucky players, he was yelling to our fans and crowd. The Kentucky fans that claim otherwise are full of ****.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Love that video, but a Royce White tribute HAS to have passing. It just has to. Never in the history of Iowa State basketball have we had a big man passer like him. Hell, college basketball has seen few of them.

Anyone up to the challenge of making a Royce White passing highlight video!?

:smile:

That was my point exactly. Passing is what makes Royce the closest thing there is to unique in college ball today and the reel doesn't have a single Royce pass in it. Looking at it from the outside (as many who would read this article would) I would say: Pretty good, but what puts him head and shoulders over everybody else? If his passing was in there everyone would see.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines

He was saying it to the Cyclone fan section. The Kentucky players were already on the way to their bench.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Isn't that the same song from the OSU/ISU football game hit tape?

Yep. Doesn't have quite the same impact as the Hit Tape video from the cyclones.com crew. I'm sure they have a lot more time and better equipment to get the timing down of the footage against the ebb and flow of the song.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That was my point exactly. Passing is what makes Royce the closest thing there is to unique in college ball today and the reel doesn't have a single Royce pass in it. Looking at it from the outside (as many who would read this article would) I would say: Pretty good, but what puts him head and shoulders over everybody else? If his passing was in there everyone would see.

While I admire his team spirit and interest in passing, I actually thought he passed too much during the end of the season. At times, he would just dominate games by going coast-to-coast and dunking over anyone who got in his way (including NBA lottery picks). Who else does that?

Granted he had some awesome passes and I love the team spirit evident in his desire to pass not just score himself. Yet, I would have liked to have seen a few less tricky passes and a few more dominations at the basket.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
He was saying it to the Cyclone fan section. The Kentucky players were already on the way to their bench.

Thanks for helping to clear this up.

How do you guys know? Were you there and saw it? I couldn't tell when I watched the game on TV. I think it would be good for us to nail this down and correct the folklore about this game.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Thanks for helping to clear this up.

How do you guys know? Were you there and saw it? I couldn't tell when I watched the game on TV. I think it would be good for us to nail this down and correct the folklore about this game.

I'm in the band, it happened 20 feet in front of me.

Help Support Us

Become a patron