Iowa DOT to begin replacing license plates April 2

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
The Iowa Department of Transportation, in cooperation with Iowa’s 99 county treasurers, will implement a 10-year license plate replacement cycle beginning April 2. The Iowa DOT is not implementing a new license plate design; the design of the replacement plates will be the same as the currently issued plates.

The Iowa DOT first issued the standard blue and white plates with the town and country landscape in 1997. In 1999, the embossed version of the plate was replaced by a flat plate, but the design did not change. This design remains within the recommended standards for license plate function and legibility, and the Iowa DOT plans to retain and use this design well into the future.

The Iowa DOT recognizes, however, that because Iowa has not conducted a plate reissue since 1997, there are plates in circulation that are reaching the end of their useful life and are faded, worn or damaged, making them difficult to read.

Rather than reissue all Iowa plates, as has been done in the past, the Iowa DOT is implementing a "rolling" replacement cycle replacing only those plates that have reached an age that is beyond the usual lifespan for a plate, with replacement to occur at the time of annual registration. This will replace plates that are too old, without wasting money by replacing plates that are not.

Under the replacement cycle, all currently issued license plates will be replaced over the course of the next 10 years, with the oldest plates being replaced first.

• 2012: Plates originally issued in 1996 and 1997 will be replaced.
• 2013: Plates originally issued in 1998 through 2003 will be replaced.
• 2014: Plates issued in 2004 will be replaced.
• After 2014: Plate replacement will be on a rolling 10-year cycle.

Specialty plates will be replaced with the current version of the same specialty plate. Personalized plates, whether standard or specialty, will be replaced with the same personalized alpha-numeric sequence. Specialty and standard plates that are not personalized will be replaced with a plate that has a new alpha-numeric sequence.
Iowa DOT to begin replacing license plates April 2 | Iowa City Press Citizen | press-citizen.com

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
They should require you to bring your plates in every time they're renewed and if you have stickers all over on it, revoke your driver's license. And additionally take out the ridiculous law that you can be ticketed for having something over the county name.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Of course there is also a precedent for increasing the number of counties. In 1976 an Iowa league of counties voted to make Mars the 100th Iowa county.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Want any more worthless Iowa county trivia? Iowa has 99 counties but 100 county seats.

Special thanks to Keokuk and Fort Madison I believe in Lee County for being to a-holes.

Maybe I did pay attention in 6th grade Iowa history.

Kossuth County: "Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated."
I laugh thinking about what Bancroft County would be now. 12 residents in Lakota. 14 in Ledyard. 85 in Bancroft. 13 in Swea City. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Special thanks to Keokuk and Fort Madison I believe in Lee County for being to a-holes.

Maybe I did pay attention in 6th grade Iowa history.

Almost all the others are in mississippi and arkansas... so i guess they've got that similarity going for them..

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
They should require you to bring your plates in every time they're renewed and if you have stickers all over on it, revoke your driver's license. And additionally take out the ridiculous law that you can be ticketed for having something over the county name.

Is that actually an infraction? Seems to me if you got busted for that you could point to a college vanity plate and say, "What county are they from?"

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
EDIT: Didn't read the post correctly. My written warning was for a frame covering the bottom text on the yearly sticker.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Is that actually an infraction? Seems to me if you got busted for that you could point to a college vanity plate and say, "What county are they from?"

Absolutely is an infraction. My Iowa State Alumni vanity plate is against the law because "Alumni" covers up Kossuth.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
He is talking about the college vanity plates not the frames...the plates do not say a county name on it