Founders beer now found in Iowa

AdamO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 28, 2010
Ankeny
My cousin from the Twin Cities was raving about the beers of Founders Brewing when he came down to visit for the OKC football game last fall, and after looking around we saw that they weren't distributing in Iowa yet at that point. Fast forward to last night when I went to see The Envy Corps at the new music venue Woolys in Des Moines (great band and great place to see a show), and to my delight I see that they have Founders Dirty Bastard on tap. It was quite good, and today I remembered to look into how this came to be. Turns out Founders is now distributing in Iowa, as of March 19th.

Just picked up a couple of six packs at the Hy-Vee Liquor Store in West Ames.

Good beer for all!

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
Founders Dirty Bastard is also on tap at Es Tas. I shared a pitcher of it and it was surprisingly good.

caustic217

Apr 25, 2009
The Cyclone State
I tried both their Rye and Double Ipa on tap at el bait shop this weekend and was impressed with both.

Looking forward to trying some of their others/ picking up a sixer or two.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I tried both their Rye and Double Ipa on tap at el bait shop this weekend and was impressed with both.

Looking forward to trying some of their others/ picking up a sixer or two.

I wasn't too fond of the IPA, but the rye was quite good. I'll still only drink Surly if I'm ever in Minnesota, but until we get Surly in Iowa Founders will have to be my Minnesota beer when I run out of Surly.

I too am impressed with Founders, can't wait to try some of their others.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I drink bid light. Its cheap and I don't have to sound like beer deuchbag when I tell people what I drink. Its what I really hate about wine people.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've actually had quite a few of their beers. We've had it in Ohio for awhile now. They're pretty good.

I like Great Lakes and Thirsty Dog. Too bad they don't have it here in Iowa

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Lagunitas is great. All Founder's 6 packs were on sale for 6.99 last week at my local liquor store...I had their dry hopped pale ale...pretty tasty!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I had a few glasses at Bait Shop this weekend. I'm very excited to see it around. I went to Hy-Vee to pick up some 6 packs last night, and all that was left was 2 6 packs of the Scotch ale (I was looking for the Rye or IPA).

The more we can make stuff like Founder's and Lagunitas fly off the shelf, the more we can convince breweries like Oskar Blues, Dogfish Head, etc to start distributing in Iowa.

Regarding Surly, I think that the hold up on their distribution is on the Minnesota end of things. I've heard (have not researched this) that they have some strange laws that limit the distribution of breweries under a certain level of output, and until Surly expands their production, they won't be able to distribute out of the state.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I drink bid light. Its cheap and I don't have to sound like beer deuchbag when I tell people what I drink. Its what I really hate about wine people.
I bet you think Mcdonalds makes the best burger as well. Mmmm now thats consistently cheap and flavorless.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

Why not Busch Light? It's cheaper and pretty much the same thing. You must be a beer snob. haha

Looking forward to trying Founders and Lagunitas.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I wasn't too fond of the IPA, but the rye was quite good. I'll still only drink Surly if I'm ever in Minnesota, but until we get Surly in Iowa Founders will have to be my Minnesota beer when I run out of Surly.

I too am impressed with Founders, can't wait to try some of their others.
Founders is out of Grand Rapids, MI.

I picked up their IPA on Saturday and enjoyed it. Not the best, but I've had their breakfast stout in the past and it is truly phenomenal.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/11757

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
Founders is excellent. Everything I've had of theirs has been really good. They make beers for beer geeks: interesting, flavorful and high alc styles.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Don't worry, you had the deuchbag thing covered long before good beer and wine came along.

troutslayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2011
While I believe that we'll always want what we can't have (Founders, Lagunitas, Stone), we have some great breweries right here in Iowa that produce great beer!

Olde Maine Brewing - Ames IA
Peace Tree Brewing - Knoxville IA
Madhouse Brewing - Newton IA
Hub City Brewery - Stanley IA
Mill Stream Brewing - Amana IA

I just visited Hub City this weekend. They are now distributing to Chicago! Touring Peace Tree this Saturday.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA

Hey, what kind of F-Body should I get? Also, do you think the mullet is making a come back?

Last edited:

AdamO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 28, 2010
Ankeny

I would just like to add my response:

windmill2.gif

(Credit to ISUAgronomist's twitter feed for gif)

Also, I'm definitely a fan of the Olde Main brews and would like to try all of the Iowa brewery offerings. I think it's great that there's so much variety available across the board, in state, regionally, and nationally.

Turbo

Jan 10, 2011
Ames
While I believe that we'll always want what we can't have (Founders, Lagunitas, Stone), we have some great breweries right here in Iowa that produce great beer!

Olde Maine Brewing - Ames IA
Peace Tree Brewing - Knoxville IA
Madhouse Brewing - Newton IA
Hub City Brewery - Stanley IA
Mill Stream Brewing - Amana IA

I just visited Hub City this weekend. They are now distributing to Chicago! Touring Peace Tree this Saturday.

Peace Tree is an ok tour, the sampler of all the beers is a good time. We did it in a group of 7 people and it was well worth the drive

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
^ I also did the tour at Peace Tree. Tour itself isn't anything special as it's a very small operation, but the beer is great!

Help Support Us

Become a patron