Positive of Royce going pro

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
There are very few positives of losing one of the greatest Cyclones ever.

However, one thing I can see looking great for Hoiberg is that his calling card as our coach was going to be putting guys in the NBA. Fred's connections to the NBA and high level of recruiting can now be tied together a little closer, vs being just speculation on what he can do.

It really sucks that Royce is going pro, bigtime. But this can only help Fred regarding other future recruits.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Royce is just plain unique on and off the court. He has charisma and is an ambassador for causes.

It will be fun to watch him play on the world NBA stage.

Maybe he can come back to watch a game next year.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Fred will get a ton of mileage out of this. He's shown what he can do with a player and that he will help them make a decision with their, not his, best interests in mind.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
His job is to win games and championships. It is not to put 4 or 5 star players in the NBA.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Yep. Fred most likely took a voluntary hit to his program to put the best interests of one of his players first. That will earn him some cred amongst recruits, assuming that Royce does get drafted where he is projected to.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
There are very few positives of losing one of the greatest Cyclones ever.

However, one thing I can see looking great for Hoiberg is that his calling card as our coach was going to be putting guys in the NBA. Fred's connections to the NBA and high level of recruiting can now be tied together a little closer, vs being just speculation on what he can do.

It really sucks that Royce is going pro, bigtime. But this can only help Fred regarding other future recruits.

I agree with your sentiment, but disagree with your ranking of Royce being one of the greatest cyclones ever. I don't we will retire his jersey some day. Is he a great cyclone? Yes. One of the greatest ever? Probably not.

Reactions: GeronimusClone

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I agree with your sentiment, but disagree with your ranking of Royce being one of the greatest cyclones ever. I don't we will retire his jersey some day. Is he a great cyclone? Yes. One of the greatest ever? Probably not.

let's split hairs

Reactions: ajk4st8

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
His job is to win games and championships. It is not to put 4 or 5 star players in the NBA.

4 or 5 star players' jobs are to get themselves in the NBA, winning games is just gravy that helps accomplish that. Probably good to serve their interests to get them here.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
There are very few positives of losing one of the greatest Cyclones ever. However, one thing I can see looking great for Hoiberg is that his calling card as our coach was going to be putting guys in the NBA. Fred's connections to the NBA and high level of recruiting can now be tied together a little closer, vs being just speculation on what he can do. It really sucks that Royce is going pro, bigtime. But this can only help Fred regarding other future recruits.

He probably could've been if he stayed longer.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
i think he stays still! whos with me????:rolleyes:

I believe Cyclone Power! It's not over til I hear it from the horse's mouth. I've wavered all day, but I would argue Royce wouldn't set a press conference to get his fans jacked up and then say hes leaving (He's not Lebron).

Also- I know information travels quick, but Fred got all this info for Royce in 72 hours? Color me surprised. He was doing radio shows half the day Monday.

I can see Royce coming off an adrenaline rush and just wanting to come back and win that championship!!

That being said, I won't be surprised either way.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Royce leaving is somewhat of a hit to next year's team, but I think we have players waiting to step up. I think if given more minutes, Booker and Gibson will answer the call.

In the longer term, Fred is showing he can do what he said he can do (coach talented players, prep them for NBA) and that will get us higher caliber players who can compete for championships. I can't wait to see how recruiting improves if we get another player drafted next year.

OOOOOO-WEEEE!!!

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

They are not mutually exclusive. In fact, putting players in the NBA makes recruiting the players that can win games and championships much easier.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

That's one of his jobs. Mentoring student athletes and looking out for their interests is also part of his job. If you want ISU to get back to a place where they are competing for B12 championships and perennially in the NCAAs then you have to accept that our best players aren't going to stick around more than 1-2 years.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
Dont you have to play 4 years or graduate to be considered for you jersey to be retired? Thought I heard that .