Roosevelt Maggitt eligibility

GWestCyde

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 16, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I was just wondering what was the news or if there will be any news on his classification. It says he's a RSr on the athletic website, but I didnt know if ISU tried to get a medical redshirt for last year's knee injury during the UNI game. Or if that would even be possible for him to get another redshirt.

And I also didnt know if the NCAA gives out medical redshirts if the player actually got to play a little in the first game.

Any thoughts about this would be great, I hadn't seen this brought up at all so thought I'd ask. Thanks

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It is my understanding that you can't apply for a medical redshirt until after your final year of regular eligibility. I don't know if that's true or not though.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
True, you can't apply for it until your eligibility has run out. It will be up to him whether he gives it another year or not which I would assume he would.

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
True, you can't apply for it until your eligibility has run out. It will be up to him whether he gives it another year or not which I would assume he would.

Not true. There is nothing in the NCAA Division I manual that states you can't apply for a medical redshirt immediately upon injury. You could even submit one after getting injured, get cleared medically, and then compete later on in the year that you applied for the medical hardship (at which point your application would get denied).

Robert Griffin got his medical redshirt for the 2010 year when he tore his ACL. That is why he was classified as a fourth year junior for the 2011 season and then could come back next year if he wanted even though he redshirted in 2007.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Didn't he RS his first season? If so, he'd be looking for a 6th year? From what I've seen, you pretty much have to miss two full years of competition to get a 6th. So if somehow, he got hurt this year and missed a majority of the games, he might have a shot. Otherwise, chances are slim.

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
he got the medshirt, hes here.. sitting out the spring iirc, had his knee cleared up or something from another minor knee issue

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Didn't he RS his first season? If so, he'd be looking for a 6th year? From what I've seen, you pretty much have to miss two full years of competition to get a 6th. So if somehow, he got hurt this year and missed a majority of the games, he might have a shot. Otherwise, chances are slim.
What he said. He's already used his redshirt, so a medical redshirt is a non issue. You're (OP) referring to a sixth year of eligibility, which is petitioned for after the player completes his career.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I am pretty sure that to qualify for a medical redshirt a player needs to have either not used their normal redshirt or have been hampered by injuries for the better part of two or more seasons. Not sure if the rules are different for football though.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
I am pretty sure that to qualify for a medical redshirt a player needs to have either not used their normal redshirt or have been hampered by injuries for the better part of two or more seasons. Not sure if the rules are different for football though.

Didn't he play for about one half before his season ended? I don't know the rules, but I feel like that should be close to enough to get a medshirt.

CYCL0NE1

Jan 22, 2009
Waukee
To obtain the "Medical Redshirt" you can not have played in more than 1/4 of the season before going out with a season-ending injury. Since he went out in the UNI game, he qualifies for the Medical Redshirt. He would have qualified even if he went out in the UConn game.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
He can't get a Medical Redshirt, because he had already used a regular redshirt.

He can apply for a 6th year of eligibility at the end of the year if he wants to. That is all.

Reactions: Aclone

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Is this a new rule? Because there are plenty of instances where a player redshirted and received a medical redshirt as well.

No its not a rule. That guy is an idiot. It is called a medical redshirt or a medical hardship waiver. See Jason White and Case Keenum.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
He can't get a Medical Redshirt, because he had already used a regular redshirt.

He can apply for a 6th year of eligibility at the end of the year if he wants to. That is all.

Is this a new rule? Because there are plenty of instances where a player redshirted and received a medical redshirt as well.

What's the difference between what is commonly called a "medical redshirt" and a 6th year of eligibility? Other than you can get a 6th year for (rare) non-medical reasons? I'm not aware of a difference.