Expectations for next year

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
As we celebrate the Cyclones great season, what are your expectations for next year? I know this is dependent on Royce staying, but where do you see this team finishing next year? I think they end up in second place in the Big 12, get to the finals of the Big 12 tournament and an Elite Eight berth. That may be a lot to ask for, but I think next year's team has that potential, especially if Royce stays :smile:. Thoughts, Preguntas?

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
With Royce White there is no limit to what the team can do, with out him - a return to the tournament would be an incredible feat considering this tournament team would be losing its best 3 players. This will likely be the case every year. the better the players CFH attracts, the more "reloading" will need to be done each year.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
If Royce stays, legit shot at a final four. If Royce leaves, legit shot at a sweet sixteen.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Sweet 16 with Royce would be a good target, anything above that would be gravy. Without Royce making the dance would be good.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
Allot, can happen between now and next year. ( Ex. player defections, injuries, grades, trouble with the law). I just want to enjoy this year, and see what happens next year. This is the same reason I never get to excited about recruiting, allot can happen that is out of our controll.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Allot, can happen between now and next year. ( Ex. player defections, injuries, grades, trouble with the law). I just want to enjoy this year, and see what happens next year. This is the same reason I never get to excited about recruiting, allot can happen that is out of our controll.
Sorry man I have to do it!

debbie-downer.jpg

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Without Royce, it starts to get difficult to find where the points are going to come from?

Royce, Scotty, and Allen have been our best scorers this entire season. Babb can't hit the broad side of a barn anymore it seems? Lucious is more of a passer, isn't he?

Of course, Clyburn would be expected to be a scorer, and McGee can light it up at times too. Okoro is known for defense, not offense. Dorsey-Walker looks like he might be able to provide a little scoring? Naz Long looks more like a facilitator than scorer? I think Niang can be a 10+ pts per game guy.

It will definately be interesting to see. Percy Gibson is going to be a stud before too long as well. So we do have some pieces to work with, it's just a matter of who will step it up?

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yeah, I think Percy is going to be relied upon a lot more for scoring. And, personally, I think he'll be up to the challenge.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I expect Hilton to be feared once more. I expect to win every single game we play in Ames.
I expect to win over 75% of the away games and a return trip to the NCAA.

Oh and at least a win or two in the Big 12 Tourney next year would be good too.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
If white leaves to hard to call. Clyburn and korie will need to be as advertised to return to the tournament without Royce.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Assuming no RW:

Depends on Lucious and Clyburn. If Lucious is more complete/effective than Scotty, then that is an upgrade. If Clyburn > Allen, then that's an upgrade. But until they hit the floor, IDK, I have not seen them. There's no replacing RW, but the points can come more conventionally from Gibson and Booker posting up (esp Gibson, I think he is mini-Big Vic in the making).

The thing I am worried about is chemistry. Lots of guys who can play but only so many minutes to go around. Especially at the 2/3 spot - Clyburn, Babb, McGee, Sledge, Bubu - that feels tough to manage to me. Babb will be the team leader, like Kantrail once upon a time. This will be a very different team, might start slow and come on late, like this year. I expect much wailing and grinding of teeth on these boards in December.

I would say equaling this years record would be a reasonable goal. Conference will be about same level of difficulty, some teams up and some down. Could challenge KU if it all works out, although one of OU, OSU, TX will probably rise up to a high level as well.

With RW: Scary good, though still some early chemistry problems.

With RW after CFH works on his jump shot over the summer: Everything is possible.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Expectations are different than hopes. I expect to make the tournament again. I hope we finish top 2 of conference and make sweet 16.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Assuming no RW:

Depends on Lucious and Clyburn. If Lucious is more complete/effective than Scotty, then that is an upgrade. If Clyburn > Allen, then that's an upgrade. But until they hit the floor, IDK, I have not seen them. There's no replacing RW, but the points can come more conventionally from Gibson and Booker posting up (esp Gibson, I think he is mini-Big Vic in the making).

The thing I am worried about is chemistry. Lots of guys who can play but only so many minutes to go around. Especially at the 2/3 spot - Clyburn, Babb, McGee, Sledge, Bubu - that feels tough to manage to me. Babb will be the team leader, like Kantrail once upon a time. This will be a very different team, might start slow and come on late, like this year. I expect much wailing and grinding of teeth on these boards in December.

I would say equaling this years record would be a reasonable goal. Conference will be about same level of difficulty, some teams up and some down. Could challenge KU if it all works out, although one of OU, OSU, TX will probably rise up to a high level as well.

With RW: Scary good, though still some early chemistry problems.

With RW after CFH works on his jump shot over the summer: Everything is possible.

As far as the PG position goes, I think we will be a LOT better next year with Lucious and Naz Long than we were with Scotty, but neither of those two guys will be able to shoot it like Scotty.

And I'm hopeful that Clyburn will be an upgrade over Allen, although Allen really came on late in the season and was very good for us. But I trust Hoiberg when he says that Clyburn was the most NBA ready guy on the roster to start this season. That says a lot.

If Royce leaves, I really think his scoring can be made up for between Gibson and Niang, but we would miss all the intangibles that Royce brings to the table. Running the full length of the court and dunking over two guys gets everyone energized a LOT more than a great jump hook in the lane.

I'm hoping for better organization on the court next year.... with less sloppy passes and needless turnovers. Royce and Scotty turned it over a lot it seemed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron