We are a Top 15 team if...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
we beat UNI and Drake. We would be 24-7. Other BCS teams in a similar situation:

#15 Indiana - 24-7
#14 Wisconsin - 23-8
#13 Georgetown - 22-7
#12 Baylor - 25-6
#10 Michigan - 23-8
#9 Marquette - 25-6
#8 Michigan State - 24-7

Those two losses are killing our seeding right now. Instead of the 7-8 seed we are currently projected to be, we would be up in the 3-4 range.

I'm not complaining because after the beginning of the season, I didn't think we would be anywhere near this position but its another one of those "what if" situations to think about.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Probably wouldn't have needed the wake up call from Willoughby (it was him right?) and things would be way different.

Last edited:

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
We would also be the number 1 team in the country if we didn't lose the other 7 games throughout the year.

Sorry, I have to give some crap....

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
That's the price we pay for having a team with little initial experience playing together in actual meaningful games. I'll gladly pay it at this point.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
You could say we've grown into our #25 ranking. Without the preseason hype that most of the teams you mention we might be right where we are though. No one thought we would be good. No reason too either really. Objectively, some people knew we had talent but weren't sure how they would play together. Fred really has done a great job coaching this team. It will be one of my favorite teams ever - until next year!

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
Everything that has happened this season has been for a reason - by losing to those crappy programs (sorry, but come on) it initiated the 'meeting' over Christmas.

Things started turning around...no ranking yet...guys get focused and play harder.

Win more games, including beating KU...no ranking yet...guys get focused and play harder.

Win more games, lose a couple stinkers (Texas, anyone?)...no ranking yet...

you get the idea.

Now that we are ranked (but just barely) and are fighting for a seed, it continues to motivate this team. They are not worrying about anything other than beating Texas - we shouldn't be either. Sure, it would be great to be in the top 15, but honestly I'd rather win the Big 12 tournament and go in as a 3/4/5 seed because of the momentum it would give us.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
we beat UNI and Drake. We would be 24-7. Other BCS teams in a similar situation:

#15 Indiana - 24-7
#14 Wisconsin - 23-8
#13 Georgetown - 22-7
#12 Baylor - 25-6
#10 Michigan - 23-8
#9 Marquette - 25-6
#8 Michigan State - 24-7

Those two losses are killing our seeding right now. Instead of the 7-8 seed we are currently projected to be, we would be up in the 3-4 range.

I'm not complaining because after the beginning of the season, I didn't think we would be anywhere near this position but its another one of those "what if" situations to think about.

I know what you mean and would sorely like to have those games back for the added respect and chance at a better seed. However, the important thing in my mind is that we have been playing as well as those teams or better in the last couple of months. Playing powerfully trumps a team with the appearance of power. I would rather be in the position we are in than some of these teams that played lesser competition and will face the best team they have played all year in the first or second round.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
As stated above, those 2 losses were vital in giving this team the wake up call it needed. If we had won those 2 games, who's to say the guys wouldn't have continued to coast, not making the necessary changes, and only finished 6 or 7th in conference?

While not leaving the best taste in the mouths of fans, they were the boulders that catapulted this team to where it is today.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We're a top 15 team now, at very least top 20. The polls may not recognize it for those reasons, but i think the most recent 2 months of evidence is enough to tell what level we're at.

Cyclonetbone

Dec 12, 2011
How about we just beat UNI next year to get it out of the way. Sick of living in Waterloo and having to take junk from a second rate school. At least the Iowa garbage thrown at me doesn't make me question all my previous life choices. :spinny:

LostinIowaCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 15, 2011
Ames, IA
This team is stronger because of where it's been. Stop worrying about rankings and seeds because it will all take care of itself. The only thing that matters right now is a Thursday night game against Texas.