ESPN SportsNation Poll

cyclone22

Sep 14, 2011
Ames, IA
I found this on ESPN and saw that the state of Iowa was most looking forward to the B1G Conference Tournament. I simply cannot imagine how this could be so I figured I would post this here to get the correct turnout.

Which college basketball conference tournament are you most looking forward to watching? - Sportsnation - ESPN

haha. Yea obv there are still way more loyal Hawkeye fans than Cyclones fans. More will jump on our bandwagon in the coming years (people like to see winning teams).

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I found this on ESPN and saw that the state of Iowa was most looking forward to the B1G Conference Tournament. I simply cannot imagine how this could be so I figured I would post this here to get the correct turnout.

Which college basketball conference tournament are you most looking forward to watching? - Sportsnation - ESPN

Honestly, I find all the Power 6 tournaments boring as ****. That includes the Big 12, too, unless ISU plays a vital role in it (which, face it, has happened about once in the past 11 seasons). At least this year has potential to be different.

I don't even have much interest in multi-bid "non-major" tourneys. When it's "win and you're in, lose and you aren't" — those are fun.

Championship Week suffers a severe drop-off after that.

Big East Tournament has had some exciting games over the years, but it's bloated and full of itself.

I admit, the double-bye concept was a stroke of television revenue genius, but it's a competitive smokescreen: It gives the appearance of meaningful games. In reality, it's a simple way to give a final nudge to its NCAA tournament contenders. It helps bubble teams, it elevates seeding for its locks, it rarely hurts the top dogs. Providence and DePaul could play for the title this year, and we'd have 12 BE teams in the tournament instead of 10.

Big East no-lose bracketing structure

ACC Tournament survives mostly on its role as the conference tournament Granddaddy. Less dynamic than BE; just as meaningless. Typically: "Who'll get a No. 1 seed, Duke or UNC? The loser is doomed to the dreaded No. 2 seed. Regular season already answered that question, although roles may be reversed.

Big Ten: I respected the conference more when it refused to hold a tournament. Many seasons, it's just been a collection of marginal teams trying not to suck, and upper-crust teams that have little to lose as far as seeding (to be honest, that's the case with most Big 6 leagues - it's just that Big Ten generally involves unwatchable games in the process)

Pac-10/12 has sometimes been mildly interesting, mainly because it gets so little mainstream coverage in regular season. This year, though, it'd be like watching the NIT.

End of Soapbox Rant for now. :unsure:

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Honestly, I find all the Power 6 tournaments boring as ****. That includes the Big 12, too, unless ISU plays a vital role in it (which, face it, has happened about once in the past 11 seasons). At least this year has potential to be different.

I don't even have much interest in multi-bid "non-major" tourneys. When it's "win and you're in, lose and you aren't" — those are fun.

Championship Week suffers a severe drop-off after that.

Big East Tournament has had some exciting games over the years, but it's bloated and full of itself.

I admit, the double-bye concept was a stroke of television revenue genius, but it's a competitive smokescreen: It gives the appearance of meaningful games. In reality, it's a simple way to give a final nudge to its NCAA tournament contenders. It helps bubble teams, it elevates seeding for its locks, it rarely hurts the top dogs. Providence and DePaul could play for the title this year, and we'd have 12 BE teams in the tournament instead of 10.

Big East no-lose bracketing structure

ACC Tournament survives mostly on its role as the conference tournament Granddaddy. Less dynamic than BE; just as meaningless. Typically: "Who'll get a No. 1 seed, Duke or UNC? The loser is doomed to the dreaded No. 2 seed. Regular season already answered that question, although roles may be reversed.

Big Ten: I respected the conference more when it refused to hold a tournament. Many seasons, it's just been a collection of marginal teams trying not to suck, and upper-crust teams that have little to lose as far as seeding (to be honest, that's the case with most Big 6 leagues - it's just that Big Ten generally involves unwatchable games in the process)

Pac-10/12 has sometimes been mildly interesting, mainly because it gets so little mainstream coverage in regular season. This year, though, it'd be like watching the NIT.

End of Soapbox Rant for now. :unsure:

I can agree with some of this. It's more fun with everything is at stake. The games between VCU/Drexel and WCU/Davidson were really exciting last night. WCU had no business being in the NCAA's and they were really close. That's whats so exciting about March

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE

This poll is clearly waaaay off. Take the states of Iowa and Nebraska for instance, I cannot accept that either of these states is most excited about the B1G tourney, everyone here in Nub-land was watching the MVC tourney or "other" and the Hawkeyes suck so there is your evidence.

Really though, the fact that the Big 12 and "other" representing the MVC in Nebraska weren't higher is all you need to know about how dumb this poll was. Way too many Jayhawk and Bluejay fans in NE for that to be accurate.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
i'm not sure how you are unaware of this but 80% of people in iowa who attended neither university follow the hawks.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
i'm not sure how you are unaware of this but 80% of people in iowa who attended neither university follow the hawks.

That's the point--hopefully the tide is changing. I've been seeing it in Dubuque, of all places. Much more Iowa State gear being worn around in public.

vortec22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2009
Grinnell, IA
Nope but you want those fans. Those fans bring money to your university.
I agree, ISU needs to win some of the bandwagon-type fans to keep the progress going. We all make fun of the Hawk fans that don't know anything about the team but we would love to have them all switch to ISU fans!

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
I would still make fun of them for not knowing ANYTHING about the team they are fans of. Why bother if you don't know jack ****?

Believe it or not, there are casual sports fans in America. Not everyone follows religiously. They will cheer for their team and might watch them but do not
Take it as seriously as some of us.

chris401

Nov 22, 2010
Uh oh. We aren't seriously the type of fanbase that criticizes "t-shirt" fans, are we? I thought that was exclusively an aggie-thing. I, for one, would LOVE to learn that Cyclone gear was "cool" or "hip" or whatever it needs to be to make people who know nothing about the team sport its colors and logo. How could that ever possibly be bad for us? In addition to any financial benefit, increased recognition and prominence can only help us with recruits, which in turn helps our teams.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Believe it or not, there are casual sports fans in America. Not everyone follows religiously. They will cheer for their team and might watch them but do not
Take it as seriously as some of us.

I realize that. But even my grandmother can tell me who Royce White is.