Beef and Steak Lovers

jakecovo21

Nov 9, 2009
Waukee, IA
Hey Fanatics,

My family bought some beef from these guys a couple weeks ago and it's very very good. Best My family and I ever had! Also there beef Jerky is very good! There out of Gilmore City.
But they come down to Des Moines / West Des Moines quite a bit to make deliveries and meet up with people to talk about their Beef. At least 2 or 3 times a month.

I uploaded there Brochure as a pic. Also you can check em out on facebook.

Thought I'd share with everyone. Definitely recommend it.

#gostate

Last edited:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Fareway is the grocery chain that has the best meat of all grocery stores. Buying beef from a local farmer where grain is part of the diet (as opposed to all pasture fed beef) is way above Fareway, bar none. Those guys are pretty high priced compared to the guy I get my quarters from 2 times a year. He's $1.95 / lb plus the processing.

So not only is the meat tons better than what you get at the local grocery stores, it is quite a bit cheaper.

C

CyBer

I love me some beef jerky, but I hate me some jacks links.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Fareway is the grocery chain that has the best meat of all grocery stores. Buying beef from a local farmer where grain is part of the diet (as opposed to all pasture fed beef) is way above Fareway, bar none. Those guys are pretty high priced compared to the guy I get my quarters from 2 times a year. He's $1.95 / lb plus the processing.

So not only is the meat tons better than what you get at the local grocery stores, it is quite a bit cheaper.

Huh? Since when does Fareway not carry grain fed beef?

Fareway gets their meat from farmers (where else would they get it? the meat factory?)

Btw, probably around 99% of beef available for purchase is grain fed......

Especially now that there is not very much pasture available in the country.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Huh? Since when does Fareway not carry grain fed beef?

Fareway gets their meat from farmers (where else would they get it? the meat factory?)

Btw, probably around 99% of beef available for purchase is grain fed......

Especially now that there is not very much pasture available in the country.

There is a lot of pasture fed beef......Western NE, SD, ND, CO, WY, TX, OK. Not much corn goes in to that meat. NO way your 99% number is anywhere close.

A little fact for ya........Grain fed beef is a far superior product to pasture fed beef. Most of the corn belt has grain fed beef so you would think most of that would be sold in Iowa right? Wrong......most gets shipped to the right and left coasts where they pay more for the meat. The range fed stuff gets shipped in to midwestern grocery stores and is a lot of what you buy. Fareway might be an exception because their meat is a lot better than the others but a lot of your lean meat is grass fed.

C

CyBer

I know nothing about raising cows, but wouldn't grass fed beef be better? Aren't they supposed to eat grass?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I know nothing about raising cows, but wouldn't grass fed beef be better? Aren't they supposed to eat grass?

Your leaner cuts are grass fed beef. They are higher in nutrient value, but tougher and not as tasty.

Feeding grain to beef cattle causes more fat in the meat which translates to better flavor and tenderness.

Both good, but grain fed is mucho better!

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
There is a lot of pasture fed beef......Western NE, SD, ND, CO, WY, TX, OK. Not much corn goes in to that meat. NO way your 99% number is anywhere close.

A little fact for ya........Grain fed beef is a far superior product to pasture fed beef. Most of the corn belt has grain fed beef so you would think most of that would be sold in Iowa right? Wrong......most gets shipped to the right and left coasts where they pay more for the meat. The range fed stuff gets shipped in to midwestern grocery stores and is a lot of what you buy. Fareway might be an exception because their meat is a lot better than the others but a lot of your lean meat is grass fed.

Thats like, your opinion, man. There are some small local farmers in the central Iowa area that raise fantastic grass-fed beef.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I keep hearing that Fareway has good beef, but I always thought Hy-Vee's distributor was better.

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
San Francisco, California
the 99% number probably isn't too far. Even cows that are pasture fed early on most often are finished with grains

Beef fed only grass is fairly rare and is much more expensive--but its the only beef I'll eat for a number of reasons.