Inbound play by mizzou with 25 secs left?

INCyclone

Jan 17, 2012
Indiana
Just had a question about this inbounds play (not that it would have made any difference in the game, just didn't think it was legal).

Scottie drained the 3 with 25.5 left and we called timeout. Then Mizzou's Denmon tried to inbound, couldn't and called another TO. They come out of timeout with Dixon inbounding the ball. He moves down the baseline and passed to Pressey who himself had stepped out of bounds behind the baseline and Pressey then passed back to Dixon who had come inbounds.

Must have been legal or I'd imagine the ISU coaching staff would have come out of their seats. Is it legal to pass back and forth behind baseline as long as you get it in in 5 seconds? Have never seen that play done before.

RollsRoyce

Jul 6, 2011
Cedar Falls
Just had a question about this inbounds play (not that it would have made any difference in the game, just didn't think it was legal).

Scottie drained the 3 with 25.5 left and we called timeout. Then Mizzou's Denmon tried to inbound, couldn't and called another TO. They come out of timeout with Dixon inbounding the ball. He moves down the baseline and passed to Pressey who himself had stepped out of bounds behind the baseline and Pressey then passed back to Dixon who had come inbounds.

Must have been legal or I'd imagine the ISU coaching staff would have come out of their seats. Is it legal to pass back and forth behind baseline as long as you get it in in 5 seconds? Have never seen that play done before.
(Don't take this seriously) 2 posts and you comment on this board. U a Troll??

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Yes its legal... usually can pass it to the original inbounder pretty easy.

Should be used more.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I swear i'd never seen it before this year, yet have seen it more than once the last few weeks. Its not the first time i've seen the question asked recently either.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Its legal, but aweek ago we got a TO got doing the same thing but all un intentional.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Good question. If a timeout was called first.... is it then a deadball the next time they have to get the ball in? Or do they get to run the baseline again?

dpo4isu

Jun 1, 2006
Southwest IA

After a made basket you can run the baseline and pass to another player out of bounds. If you are restricted to the spot then the play is illegal.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
Good question. If a timeout was called first.... is it then a deadball the next time they have to get the ball in? Or do they get to run the baseline again?

This. It is clearly legal after the bucket, but is it legal after the timeout? I am no basketball expert though...

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
This thread just makes me realize I don't know as many rules about basketball as I think I do..

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Legal play. We ran this in high school all the time.

We'd also do an inbounds play after a basket where the inbounder can run along the baseline-- if there wasn't enough time on the clock to get a good shot, we'd put a picker just inside the endline and run the guy defending the inbounder into the pick and half the time would get him to run the picker over and get some free throws out of it.

cymate

Oct 28, 2011
Ames, the labb
anytime after a basket is made they can run the baseline and or do what ever they did. if you call a timeout after a made bucket you can also run the baseline.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
If you think about it, they're just intentionally doing what many people do when the wrong guy picks up the ball after a made basket. How many times do you see one guy out of bounds hand the ball to another guy, who then makes the inbound pass? No difference between these two situations.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron