ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
College Basketball Bubble Watch - What do we mean when we say 'every game counts'? - NCAA Men's Basketball - ESPN

"Cue the celebrations in Ames, Iowa: The Cyclones are going back to the NCAA tournament. Iowa State's profile isn't overwhelming, but its solidity moved it up to "should be in" territory last week in part because Iowa State, with its last three games at Kansas State, at Missouri and at home versus Baylor, couldn't possibly take a bad loss going away. But after Saturday's win at K-State -- which gave the Cyclones a clean sweep of the Wildcats in addition to that big home win over Kansas -- this team can't miss the tournament. What Fred Hoiberg has done with this team, constructed primarily of cast-off transfers and leftovers from Greg McDermott's failed tenure, can't be overstated. As if the guy needed to be more popular in central Iowa. What a season."

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
That article has no Pac-12 team as a lock for the tournament yet. Just terrible basketball in that conference.

danrog

Jan 19, 2008
Seattle
That article has no Pac-12 team as a lock for the tournament yet. Just terrible basketball in that conference.

The best basketball team west of the state of Kansas is either UNLV or Saint Mary's. And its not even close. PAC 12 is terrible.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Well boys and girls imho, if we at Iowa State are not in the ncaa tourney now....

then they need....TO BLOW UP THE TOURNAMENT, because it will have absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
College Basketball Bubble Watch - What do we mean when we say 'every game counts'? - NCAA Men's Basketball - ESPN

"Cue the celebrations in Ames, Iowa: The Cyclones are going back to the NCAA tournament. Iowa State's profile isn't overwhelming, but its solidity moved it up to "should be in" territory last week in part because Iowa State, with its last three games at Kansas State, at Missouri and at home versus Baylor, couldn't possibly take a bad loss going away. But after Saturday's win at K-State -- which gave the Cyclones a clean sweep of the Wildcats in addition to that big home win over Kansas -- this team can't miss the tournament. What Fred Hoiberg has done with this team, constructed primarily of cast-off transfers and leftovers from Greg McDermott's failed tenure, can't be overstated. As if the guy needed to be more popular in central Iowa. What a season."
about time

Wappadu

Feb 7, 2012
"What a season."

I'm all smiles. We moved to icing on the cake territory a while back for me, though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I hope everyone read this part:
But two years ago, an NCAA eager to maximize the full length of the college hoops season did away with the criterion that weighted a team's final 12 games more heavily than the 20 or so contests that preceded them. Sure, many committee members no doubt still like to see teams trending upward at this point in the season, and "last 12 games" is almost certainly still a discussion point from time to time. But any line-by-line reading of the committee's principles is clear: Whether it's mid-November or mid-February, every game counts.
Hopefully we can stop talking about last 12 games on these threads. Sure, there is the appearance of how someone finishes but it is not a Selection Committee metric anymore.

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
all 5 locks for the big 12 were the "forgotten five" about 20 months ago, although i believe mizzou has lost that claim since being picked up by the sec. thought that was kinda interesting

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
all 5 locks for the big 12 were the "forgotten five" about 20 months ago, although i believe mizzou has lost that claim since being picked up by the sec. thought that was kinda interesting

Indeed.

I love seeing the Texas/South schools below the northern teams...we care more about hoops! (no beef with Baylor doing well this year either.)

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
I hope everyone read this part:
But two years ago, an NCAA eager to maximize the full length of the college hoops season did away with the criterion that weighted a team's final 12 games more heavily than the 20 or so contests that preceded them. Sure, many committee members no doubt still like to see teams trending upward at this point in the season, and "last 12 games" is almost certainly still a discussion point from time to time. But any line-by-line reading of the committee's principles is clear: Whether it's mid-November or mid-February, every game counts.
Hopefully we can stop talking about last 12 games on these threads. Sure, there is the appearance of how someone finishes but it is not a Selection Committee metric anymore.

So your saying there's still a chance - signed Illinois

Reactions: VeloClone

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
I really hope we don't end up an 8 or 9 seed which in my book is the Kiss of Death for the 2nd round. I'd rather be a 10, 11, or of course a 7 seed.

Part of the seeding is determined by which conference teams are in the bracket. If Missouri is a 2, we would probably be an 8 or 9 so we would not meet them in the 2nd round.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I really hope we don't end up an 8 or 9 seed which in my book is the Kiss of Death for the 2nd round. I'd rather be a 10, 11, or of course a 7 seed.

Part of the seeding is determined by which conference teams are in the bracket. If Missouri is a 2, we would probably be an 8 or 9 so we would not meet them in the 2nd round.

Or we could be placed in another region.

CloneCone21

Mar 11, 2009
Ames

I agree that an 8 or 9 is the kiss of death, but is a 7 that much better? I might even prefer an 11 or 12 than a 7. I really dislike the entire 7-10 range... just my two cents

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The best basketball team west of the state of Kansas is either UNLV or Saint Mary's. And its not even close. PAC 12 is terrible.

Id say those teams you mentioned, San Diego State, New Mexico and Gonzaga would all contend for the Pac 12 crown. The top 3 or 4 teams in the MWC and WCC would all do very well in the Pac 12.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
No reason to pay attention to ESPN...

They just showed Iowa on the bubble 5 minutes ago during the Indiana MSU telecast.

Help Support Us

Become a patron