Gottlieb giving isu some respect

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Thought this was funny because people always say how he seems to hate ISU and it seemed like he was sucking up to ISU or something at the end of this link.

Video: Katz and Gottlieb recap Saturday - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

4:30 mark

I never thought he hated ISU. I just figured that he made a comment without watching enough tape to know the truth, and then doubled down on the original opinion instead of reevaluating his position. Now, he's going to be ISU's best buddy on ESPN to try to make up for the mistake. That's not the worst thing he could do here.

The worst thing he could do would be to get a do-it-yourself lobotomy and change his name to Trev Alberts.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
He played it off more as a bad loss to k state than a good win for us. I'm just happy he took the time to mention it though.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
he brings up the "questionable call" again while ignoring all the fouls KSU got away with in that first match. for reference there is 4 fouls in just the you tube highlight alone that were not called on KSU. They were all on made shots. That does not include all the pushing, pulling, checking, and bumping they were getting away with throughout the game that were not in that little video.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
he brings up the "questionable call" again while ignoring all the fouls KSU got away with in that first match. for reference there is 4 fouls in just the you tube highlight alone that were not called on KSU. They were all on made shots. That does not include all the pushing, pulling, checking, and bumping they were getting away with throughout the game that were not in that little video.

I believe he said something along the lines of... Talking to K-State staff, they felt like they let one get away in Ames.. With the last second shot and non call... It wasnt Gottleb saying it, just passing on what he had heard.. Honestly he could say today that he felt like ISU was a FF team and people on here would *****...

Spam

May 21, 2008
I like how they showed their tv room- as if to say- "we actually watch all games"

yeah right...

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Baylor Game? And how many bunnies did we give up yesterday... We did play hard at times... but also gave up some easy ones...

"bad defense" is partly true. We play good perimeter defense. Our post defense is far from great, and we don't guard the rim very well.

The most frustrating part is making a team go 30 secs without really getting a shot, then they finally get a pass in to the post for an easy layup at the end of the shot clock. We do that too often.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'd say our defense is the biggest weakness of this team.

I wouldn't necessarily say that, I'd say our defense has problems guarding teams with a credible lane presence and teams with a legitimate point guard. If our opponent has both of those things, God help us.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
"bad defense" is partly true. We play good perimeter defense. Our post defense is far from great, and we don't guard the rim very well.

The most frustrating part is making a team go 30 secs without really getting a shot, then they finally get a pass in to the post for an easy layup at the end of the shot clock. We do that too often.

That's probably the biggest criticism about this team, but it's not completely awful, so I can live with it. I'm sure Fred knows it's there.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
defense isn't bad, sure there are some issues but that is true for every team. We guard the perimeter very well imo.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
That's probably the biggest criticism about this team, but it's not completely awful, so I can live with it. I'm sure Fred knows it's there.

Yeah - we are doing pretty damn well this year considering our personnel "imbalance". When we play our short, guard-oriented lineup, and not having a 6-11 shot-blocker type, we are going to have to live with that weakness. We have other strengths.

D

DistrictCyclone

That should be expected since we don't have a true center and despite Royce's size and strength, he's at a disadvantage against guys who are 6'8 and above.

That's not to say that there's nothing to be done about it; I think we're a little slow off screens, especially down low, and Royce's quickness to help out at the post has been suspect (hence all the scoring off of cuts). Overall, though, the coaching staff has done an outstanding job switching between defensive sets and forcing the opposing offense to mix it up.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
That should be expected since we don't have a true center and despite Royce's size and strength, he's at a disadvantage against guys who are 6'8 and above.

That's not to say that there's nothing to be done about it; I think we're a little slow off screens, especially down low, and Royce's quickness to help out at the post has been suspect (hence all the scoring off of cuts). Overall, though, the coaching staff has done an outstanding job switching between defensive sets and forcing the opposing offense to mix it up.

agree completely, see above.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Defense has been an issue, but we also give teams all kinds of problems offensively. Defensively yesterday, for the vast majority of the game, we were very good, but had some lapses, but kSU does lots of backscreening and cutting which is difficult to contain for an entire shot clock.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Finally giving in and being forced to admit that Iowa State is a tournament team, while still getting in his digs, is not showing respect.