why is there so much talk of northwestern on the bubble?

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
17-11 (7-9). one win over a top 25 team. how does this make any sense to anyone? even if they win out they will only have 19 wins with 2 wins over top 25 teams and .500 conference record. i guess they don't have any "bad losses" like (ahem) drake, but still.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
it almost feels like the media is going to will them into the tourney even they don't deserve a spot.

This is absolutely what I think is happening with NW. The media has picked up on how they've never gone dancing, and I think they're trying to force NW in there for the sake of a good story.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Look, the sports media talking bobbleheads have been telling us all year long how great the Big 10 is. The NCAA tournament selection is their final exam. IF the Big 10 doesn't get 7 or 8 teams in, they look stupid, like they didn't know what they were talking about all year.

They don't want to look bad, so they have to keep it up. And then express their shock, SHOCK that the selection committee didn't see things their way.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
I almost think Iowa is more deserving than Northwestern. Iowa at the very least has a lot better wins.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
it almost feels like the media is going to will them into the tourney even they don't deserve a spot.

Yep agree. The media wants the story of the 1st time getting in plus they are the "high academic" institution so that they want that "feel good" story.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I almost think Iowa is more deserving than Northwestern. Iowa at the very least has a lot better wins.
BLASPHEMY! But true. I think Iowa is one spot above them in conference also. OTOH though, I think the Hawks only play the Buckeyes and the Spartans once each. How do they ALWAYS get the easiest possible schedule in football and basketball?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
17-11 (7-9). one win over a top 25 team. how does this make any sense to anyone? even if they win out they will only have 19 wins with 2 wins over top 25 teams and .500 conference record. i guess they don't have any "bad losses" like (ahem) drake, but still.

Haven't you heard? They play in the toughest conference...............ever!

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'd love for Northwestern to make the tourney sometime, but not this year. They just don't deserve it.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'd love for Northwestern to make the tourney sometime, but not this year. They just don't deserve it.

It's really evidence of the weak field (and how we werent really a bubble team). Who are you going to take instead? Colorado state? Miami? Those are the last in/ first out teams right now and they are worse than NW

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Probably because the bubble is so soft and they've never been in the NCAA tournament before.

Looks pathetic that 1/6th of the entire Big Ten has the same # of NCAA tournament wins as Ames Middle School.

It's a good conference, but historically that's the worst bottom of any major conference and worse than the bottom of several mid majors.

TCU has 6 more appearances and 5 more NCAA wins than Northwestern and Nebraska combined.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Look, the sports media talking bobbleheads have been telling us all year long how great the Big 10 is. The NCAA tournament selection is their final exam. IF the Big 10 doesn't get 7 or 8 teams in, they look stupid, like they didn't know what they were talking about all year.

They don't want to look bad, so they have to keep it up. And then express their shock, SHOCK that the selection committee didn't see things their way.

The thing is, if the Big Ten is so awesome, NW should have a chance to beat a ranked team every week and they've only beat one.

Can't rationally have it both ways.

I think Northwestern was actually better last year and the year before.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Look at their home game against Baylor.

The very definition of "one of these two do not belong".

And Baylor is no "great" team.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Generally speaking, the media has already determined that a certain number of Big Ten teams are getting in, regardless of their real records or rip. Iowa is their newest ludicrous suggestion.

This Iowa run has been great to get some of their fans back on the bandwagon for the first time in years, but I really think it has cost the Big Ten a tournament bid or two. A team just doesn't get housed by Campbell and Clemson and then rip through the an incredible conference with 75% tournament teams.

Illinois clearly played themselves out. Minnesota and/or NW may be staying home because Iowa exposed the conference as a whole and showed the common sense idea that an 18 win team in that league is no juggernaut.

7 or 8 is still likely. 9 is now very unlikely and 6 is a possibility for the first time. In large part thanks to Mad Fran and his scrappy Hawkeyes.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
This Iowa run has been great to get some of their fans back on the bandwagon for the first time in years, but I really think it has cost the Big Ten a tournament bid or two. A team just doesn't get housed by Campbell and Clemson and then rip through the an incredible conference with 75% tournament teams.

Illinois clearly played themselves out. Minnesota and/or NW may be staying home because Iowa exposed the conference as a whole and showed the common sense idea that an 18 win team in that league is no juggernaut.

7 or 8 is still likely. 9 is now very unlikely and 6 is a possibility for the first time. In large part thanks to Mad Fran and his crappy Hawkeyes.

FIFY

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Two reasons IMO:

1.) The bigten is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overated!

2.) The media really wants a good story since they've never been to the big dance.