Random thoughts on Cyclone MBB.....

Tazzels

Aug 22, 2006
'72 Winnebago
1) This is probably the 5th best team we have had in the last 25 years.

2) The players on this team are really developing roles and a strong team chemistry.

3) Booker is the missing link to this team taking it to the next level. Ejim and White need a quality sub to back them up. He would complete the 7 man rotation. A healthy Palo will help as an 8th man.

4) It will be really interesting to see how this team plays against Mizzou, Baylor, and in the Big 12 Tourney... We could from a No. 9 seed to a ???????

5) The players and the coach are really developing a effect playing and coach style and it is fun to watch!!!!!

6) Who want's Kool Aid????

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
What Freddie has done in two years is nothing short of amazing. I really think he has what it takes to take Iowa State to contender level. Quality players are coming on board with nothing more than his reputation and force of his personality, and this year he is establishing that he coach the hell out of the game too.

I'm in the middle of watching the game again, and his time outs are perfectly timed.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
And next year looks really bright too. We're actually going to have some depth.

I feel SO much different this year looking towards the future than years past. Mostly cuz I think I'm still super amped about this team and what they can accomplish. I'm with ya tho that the thought of the incoming freshman and Lucious and Clyburn...and if most likely RW is back... That's just SCARY talent/potential.

DumbFan

Mar 15, 2009
Central Iowa
I feel SO much different this year looking towards the future than years past. Mostly cuz I think I'm still super amped about this team and what they can accomplish. I'm with ya tho that the thought of the incoming freshman and Lucious and Clyburn...and if most likely RW is back... That's just SCARY talent/potential.

White is coming back. Too many reasons for him to stay. If he continues to improve, his draft stock would go up substantially and he said he wants an NCAA championship. Next year they may actually have a chance to make a deep run in the tourney. I also just feel that he likes this place and the support he gets from the community around him. The rest of this year will be insanely fun and next year could be rediculous...

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I have a strong feeling that we are going to miss Scotty alot. Similar to DG this year.. DG may have been the missing PG piece but I think Scotty's leadership will be something we miss next year.

Hope someone can step it up and be as big of a leader has he on the floor.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Next year is Royce White's year. He'll be the quiet leader the team needs, with assistance from Ejim and Babb.

As far as replacing scoring, Clayborn will pick up the slack. From what I've read and heard, the dude is a definite NBA talent.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Next year could be a big year. The big 12 will be down and ISU should be very deep.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't think Booker is necessarily the key. I think we've gotten about as much out of him as we're going to see. The guy I've liked has been Gibson. If he can be another interior scoring threat, especially when White gets into foul trouble, we might be able to make a run.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
It will be interesting to see, with the loss of Scotty, if we continue to be a 3pt offense or if we transition to jump shot and post ups with our incoming bigger guard and hopefully a point.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
The thing I like about this year's team? We don't necessarily seem to need A key to succeed. It's like the players all do a round of "rock-paper-scissors" in the pregame to decide who's going to save the day each game. It's getting into "Lombardi's Packers" territory when you don't know who is going to go off each game for the Cyclones. Royce is a big part of the puzzle, as are Babb, McGee, Scotty, Allen and Gibson.....but that doens't mean that Booker or Bubu won't do something to put us over the top if they're in the game at the right time.

Missing Scotty next year might mean that we lose an early game that we should have won (Drake this year?), but I'm confident that the rest of the team AND Coach Fred will get his replacement up to speed well before the conference season starts. Unlike prior seasons, I don't think we need to have all the pieces in place before the season starts. We can improvise on the fly now. And that don't suck.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
White is coming back. Too many reasons for him to stay. If he continues to improve, his draft stock would go up substantially and he said he wants an NCAA championship. Next year they may actually have a chance to make a deep run in the tourney. I also just feel that he likes this place and the support he gets from the community around him. The rest of this year will be insanely fun and next year could be rediculous...

It's best for RW, ISU and RW's future NBA team for him to stay another year.

Often fans talk selfishly about a player staying, but in this case it's true.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I agree with everything you said, except I think Babb will be more of a key than Booker.

Babb will once again be our best defender next year, but if he can find his long distance shot for a whole season next year, that will help us dramatically.

When Scotty, Babb, Allen, and McGee are all hitting their shots, we're virtually unstoppable IMO. Next year Scotty and Allen are gone, so Babb will have to step it up from behind the arc.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Next year is Royce White's year. He'll be the quiet leader the team needs, with assistance from Ejim and Babb.

As far as replacing scoring, Clayborn will pick up the slack. From what I've read and heard, the dude is a definite NBA talent.

Its Clyburn.

cyrobb

Jan 1, 2012
Pleasant Hill
Many are suggesting that we end up an 8 or 9 seed. I LOVE IT!!!! do you know any #1 seed that is not going to be ticked to have to face Royce White and the 3 point shooting that we have? I can guarntee that Kanas doesn't want to see us at the Big XII tourny. Other than Kentucky I don't see us not playing any of the top 4 seeds in any region tough and think we could beat any of them on any given day. Michigan and Baylor were flukes and I don't see that happening again.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I'm with atlantacyclone. We've beat some very good teams when we weren't even hitting on all cyclinders and our players continue to improve in their roles. If this team continues to improve and gets it rolling, we could be a very tough out in the NCAA tourney THIS YEAR.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have a strong feeling that we are going to miss Scotty alot. Similar to DG this year.. DG may have been the missing PG piece but I think Scotty's leadership will be something we miss next year.

Hope someone can step it up and be as big of a leader has he on the floor.

Leadership *shouldn't* be an issue next year - we will have 5 RS Seniors and 3 very experiences juniors.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron