Ejim's Screens

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I love the screens Melvin was doing in the second half when we bring the ball up the court on our own half. I hadn't noticed this much before the second half today so I am not sure if this is usual or not. Rodriguez was being a feisty little guy and this slowed him down quite a bit. There was one time though where I felt Ejim really leaned in and could have been called for it. It was after a few frustrating plays for him where Kansas State got physical and the refs didn't call anything whether there was any foul or not. I will try to point it out when I rewatch the game but the announcers did not seem to notice so I was not sure if it was just me. Other than that, the screens were very effective in getting us set to start our half court offense and keep the pressure off our stand in PG.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Mel is really physical and that's a good fit with the other parts of our team.

He's about as good a stone-handed player as you'll find.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Ejim has really improved his 'stone-hands' imo... Booker takes the cake for that title, at least for the K State game.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I love the screens Melvin was doing in the second half when we bring the ball up the court on our own half. I hadn't noticed this much before the second half today so I am not sure if this is usual or not. Rodriguez was being a feisty little guy and this slowed him down quite a bit. There was one time though where I felt Ejim really leaned in and could have been called for it. It was after a few frustrating plays for him where Kansas State got physical and the refs didn't call anything whether there was any foul or not. I will try to point it out when I rewatch the game but the announcers did not seem to notice so I was not sure if it was just me. Other than that, the screens were very effective in getting us set to start our half court offense and keep the pressure off our stand in PG.

I love how Mel is stepping up of late. The great screens are part of the game that doesn't show up in the stat sheet. His rebounding is feroucious. It seems to me that he is embracing a similar role to what Stevie Johnson played on the Elite 8 team, but his added length gives him a bit more upside. The toughness of an undersized four stepping up was needed on both teams, yet both were flexible enough to hit jumpers, or even at times stray out to the 3 range. I think Mel has more upside, but was struck by the comparison.

McKinney

Feb 1, 2012
McKinney, TX

I noticed it too, and I was cringing in fear that the refs were about to call one of them and it'd become a critical turnover.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
I noticed it too, and I was cringing in fear that the refs were about to call one of them and it'd become a critical turnover.

but he didnt move his feet or throw an elbow.:yes:

the refs were probably laughing as they saw it coming and KSU player started to pick splinter out of his face as he got off the hard wood.:twitcy:

Cysmik

Feb 25, 2012

the refs were probably laughing as they saw it coming and KSU player started to pick splinter out of his face as he got off the hard wood.:twitcy:

Is Melvin leaning into the screen allowable by the rules, as long as there is no movement of the feet or elbows thrown? I recall him doing the same thing in the oklahoma game around the same time as he was called for the intentional foul and booted from the game.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

He didn't move or extend his elbows like the case when he was ejected but he did lean in a little aggresively on one occasion that I was nervous about. The refs weren't looking for it as they were accustomed to his screens by then.

Jun 11, 2010
Urbandale, IA
Is Melvin leaning into the screen allowable by the rules, as long as there is no movement of the feet or elbows thrown? I recall him doing the same thing in the oklahoma game around the same time as he was called for the intentional foul and booted from the game.

It wasn't the leaning in--it was the elbows to the face that drew him the flagrant 2, which is an automatic ejection.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
His ejection from the OU game wasn't because he set solid screens. That one was because he clearly set an aggressive screen to retaliate for uncalled fouls by the OU player. I was at the game, and watching the leadup to his ejection was like watching a semi skidding around on black ice: You just knew that something bad was going to happen before it was all over.

Cysmik

Feb 25, 2012
It wasn't the leaning in--it was the elbows to the face that drew him the flagrant 2, which is an automatic ejection.

I understand that, I was just saying that I had seen him do it before. It seems he tends to lean into these screens more as he gets more frustrated. I'm fine with it, actually enjoy watching it. I was just wondering it this leaning into the screens is allowable by the rules?

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I understand that, I was just saying that I had seen him do it before. It seems he tends to lean into these screens more as he gets more frustrated. I'm fine with it, actually enjoy watching it. I was just wondering it this leaning into the screens is allowable by the rules?

It's a judgement call I believe. Players naturally lean forward when about to get hit setting a screen but you can't throw yourself at them.

cysox2

Nov 30, 2011
Newhall
Some guys let their poor play on the offensive end effect their defensive effort. Babb and ejim seem to play even harder on the defensive end when their shots aren't falling, I think ejim has a hard time controlling his emotions when he's frustrated, but if he gets called for a "hard" screen once in a while, I think we can live with that.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I love how Mel is stepping up of late. The great screens are part of the game that doesn't show up in the stat sheet. His rebounding is feroucious. It seems to me that he is embracing a similar role to what Stevie Johnson played on the Elite 8 team, but his added length gives him a bit more upside. The toughness of an undersized four stepping up was needed on both teams, yet both were flexible enough to hit jumpers, or even at times stray out to the 3 range. I think Mel has more upside, but was struck by the comparison.

Agree re Stevie comparison. See my post on other former ISU players who are avatars of this year's team.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
In the oklahoma game, the ou player went right through Ejim on one of his backcourt screens. ejim lost his cool and went after the guy on the next "screen"

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Some guys let their poor play on the offensive end effect their defensive effort. Babb and ejim seem to play even harder on the defensive end when their shots aren't falling, I think ejim has a hard time controlling his emotions when he's frustrated, but if he gets called for a "hard" screen once in a while, I think we can live with that.

Agreed. It's rare he is in foul trouble but another ejection for a screen would result in a more severe punishment this time. As long as he keeps his arms in he should be safe from that and the hard screen definitely relieved his frustrations.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
His screens push the line but that's what you do...find the line. I did get nervous even though I was watching dvr

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
It's a judgement call I believe. Players naturally lean forward when about to get hit setting a screen but you can't throw yourself at them.
Technically he should remain vertical but as long as he's not launching himself into the other player he will usually be fine. Most refs will see a slight lean as a guy trying to anticipate contact and it will usually not get called.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
I love Ejim but he has got away with about 12 moving screens in the last 3 games. Glad he's getting away with them. That one against OU was rediculous when he knocked the guy down

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron