ESPN Bubble Watch (2-24-12 Edition)

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I figured KSU would be a lock after those wins. They have a good shot to win out. We have to win 1 game just to secure 4th place.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
at Kansas State, at Missouri, versus Baylor -- can't possibly yield a bad loss. Even an 0-3 mark (which might be the most likely result) will keep them in pretty decent shape. Remember, there's still that win over Kansas. Things are looking up in Ames.
I agree here.
However, I would really like to get just 1 of those, and I think we will. Winning one of those games will move us into a lock for the tourney. I would really like to sweep KSU. I would also like to send Mizzou to the SEC with a loss. And I would love to beat Baylor on senior day. F it, just win em all.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
On an off topic note on the Big 10:

"A few short weeks ago, it appeared the Big Ten was set to get as many as eight, possibly even nine, NCAA tournament bids. That dream is over."

At least somebody is starting to realize it lol.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Even with 0-3 we will be in decent shape, yes. But go 0-4, and we just may be in slightly less decent shape.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

"A few short weeks ago, it appeared the Big Ten was set to get as many as eight, possibly even nine, NCAA tournament bids. That dream is over."

Only idiots had that dream. I swear some "experts" don't even watch the games.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
Might not be a lock, but pretty crazy that we can lose our last 3 games of the regular season and still have a good shot to get in.. so so nice not to be in that "if we win out, we might still have a shot to get in" scenario. Our guys have put us in a great position.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Alot of talk about losing our last three. I just don't see it though. Our guys hate to lose and take it personally. No way we lose 3 straight.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Finishing in the top 4 would be a tremendous accomplishment for Fred and the boys, even if the standings have no bearing on our tournament prospects. The top 5 would still be good, to finish in the top half of the Big 12 for the first time in forever, but I want to finish as high as possible.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Scrolling down through the rest of the report...whoops, they forgot to put the team logos for the "locks" on that conference...oh...it's the Pac12. Nevermind.

:biglaugh:

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

IMO, that was a total homer pipe dream all along. Yeah, numbers wise is was doable, but to think all of those teams were going to win the games they needed to to get into the tourney was quite a stretch. Especially the whole Illinois thing. They were obvioiusly on a downward path, but a few people kept them in there. It's like buying a lottery ticket and telling everyone you are as good as a millionaire.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
Scrolling down through the rest of the report...whoops, they forgot to put the team logos for the "locks" on that conference...oh...it's the Pac12. Nevermind.

:biglaugh:
hahaha.. yeah. "Cal's best nonconference win came at home versus Weber State." Pretty much says it all

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
What seed do we want?

I imagine a 12 seeding would be better than 9th or 8th, just cause there is quite a history of the 12 seed beating the 5th seed and the 9th/8th seed as the play the #1 seed.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
Did anyone read the write-up on the Big 10 and catch this portion?

In fact, if there's any team that might make a late bubble push, it's -- wait for it -- Iowa. The Hawkeyes' back-to-back wins over Indiana and Wisconsin (the latest of which came by one point Thursday) gave them a season sweep of the Badgers and four marquee wins overall (also beat Michigan). That's impressive in and of itself. Even so, Iowa will have to overcome a plus-120 RPI number (which isn't anywhere near tourney-worthy at this point) and a sub-300 nonconference schedule, one that included blowout losses to Campbell and Clemson. This profile looks remarkably like Colorado's did last year: awful nonconference schedule, bad nonconference losses, solid conference performance, big wins down the stretch. That Buffs team didn't make the tournament. In other words, this remains a long shot. But if the Hawkeyes win their last three regular-season games to finish 10-8 in the Big Ten, they've definitely got a shot. We'll see.

cyclonefan1983

Feb 12, 2009
ISU fans should be Iowa fans for the next 3 games....Iowa winning the last 3 only helps ISU as it would be another good win for ISU

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I agree here.
However, I would really like to get just 1 of those, and I think we will. Winning one of those games will move us into a lock for the tourney. I would really like to sweep KSU. I would also like to send Mizzou to the SEC with a loss. And I would love to beat Baylor on senior day. F it, just win em all.

I can maybe see two wins there. I think ISU does beat Baylor in Hilton, and they may be able to steal one in Manhattan. I don't see any way they knock off Mizzou in Columbia, though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron