WHo the F%^*& runs the ball in the 4th Qtr.?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Dude...the game is over. We've had 2 or 3 guys leave the game injured. Just trying to get out of this thing in one piece.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I agree. The way we are handling this game after we got down at halftime has been absolutely pathetic. When we get momentum on offense, we run a quarterback sweep or something silly like that that nets about -5 yards on average and puts them in a hole. Also, WHERE THE HELL IS OUR F$&#ING SENSE OF URGENCY. THERE IS NONE! AAAAHH!

I agree that as fans we don't "always" have the right to complain, but we have seen and are continually seeing this year is P%&$ING ME OFF.

Also our team has given up, and I feel that this is because our coaches don't put the players in the position to make a play. I refuse to believe that it is because our team doesn't have the potential. We all know they do.

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
Urgency may not be the best word but its good one. they dont seem to be confident. no one leads offense like the QuarterBack I am reminded of the year we would play Meyer and Flynn you saw two offenses on the field and it took both time to warm up. it looks like the same this year.

lots of times they never got rolling its absolutely sickening to see that this year with a Quarterback that seems locked in to starter and he is looking like a freshman

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think today was the biggest display of why coaching is not the real big issue for the Cyclones.

We've all wondered about some of the play calling on offense. But look...with the pathetic play of our offensive line - our play calling is rather restricted. It's next to impossible to get creative when we can't block much of anything. So, the inability to move the ball is not only hurting our offense, but kills the defense.

While the defense needs to attend a year-long clinic on tackling (and the coaches do beat that into their heads in Ames - I've seen in first hand)...they are doing ok considering the circumstances.

Our offensive line is just bad. Bad, bad, bad, bad....bad. IMO, they are 70-85% of the reason we are struggling.

Now, I did think Cotton would be our offensive line messiah. So far that has not happened. So he does deserve some of the blame for the offensive line (part of that 70-85%). Perhaps he’s not what he’s cracked up to be or maybe it’s because of the spread responsibilities (coordinator and offensive line coach).

I don’t know really – but that entire offensive line unit should be ashamed.

dudeluv

Mar 26, 2006
Sioux City Iowa
Was the offensive line this bad last year? Don't think they were but honestly can't remember. Maybe they look worse this year due to competition?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
They had troubles last year...but not THIS much.

It is partly competition. However, we had the same problems against Toledo, UNLV and UNI that we had today.

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
this is starting to remind me of 2003 all over again... whats disappointing is that the continued loses and lack of execution could potentially kill the synergy and "togetherness" of the team as I heard happened in 2003.

Besides B Cotton's inept play calling, why is this veteran O so bad? could it be that all they heard in the off-season was how good they were going to be just b/c they were experienced? and they didn't really work out with hunger? is the team chemistry just terrible, something we on the outside aren't aware of and cannot see? I dunno, but I'm sick of this crap being put on national tv. And yes, all the Mac supporters will yak about we're better than we were before Mac started and give him more time b/c it's so hard coaching in the Big 12, but geesh, when I look at some of those conference records and statistics over the last 5-6 years on other threads from this week, I don't see this program going anywhere! Remember a few years ago, all the talk was, "man, wait 'til Meyer and Blythe are upperclassmen".... yeah, great things have happened haven't they?

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
this is starting to remind me of 2003 all over again... whats disappointing is that the continued loses and lack of execution could potentially kill the synergy and "togetherness" of the team as I heard happened in 2003.

Besides B Cotton's inept play calling, why is this veteran O so bad? could it be that all they heard in the off-season was how good they were going to be just b/c they were experienced? and they didn't really work out with hunger? is the team chemistry just terrible, something we on the outside aren't aware of and cannot see? I dunno, but I'm sick of this crap being put on national tv. And yes, all the Mac supporters will yak about we're better than we were before Mac started and give him more time b/c it's so hard coaching in the Big 12, but geesh, when I look at some of those conference records and statistics over the last 5-6 years on other threads from this week, I don't see this program going anywhere! Remember a few years ago, all the talk was, "man, wait 'til Meyer and Blythe are upperclassmen".... yeah, great things have happened haven't they?

My thoughts exactly:no6xn::no6xn::no6xn:

Chris

Mar 20, 2006
Houston
Visit site
I think again today that even with questions on the O-line, another display of issues for the Cyclones is that they are not put in a position to succeed. There were too many second / third down and long facing us... I saw no plays on first down such as a quick drop to throw a slant pattern, quick throw to a tight end, a screen, quick toss to the outside that could gain good yards on first down to make second/third down easier to make. Were/who does that fall on?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We do not have a full complement of plays inb the pro set. We are stagmant as far as dformations go. The years have passed the pro set by witghotu oline blocking.

I am not sure how many pooints we will score against Kansas, Missouri, and Colorado at this point.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I think our offense is lacking in a balanced attack.... we put ourselves in a position where we have to gain big yards in a small amount of time, because we get down early. Otherwise, we probably need to run the ball more, however I when we do run the ball I haven't been real pleased with the variety in the running plays... besides the fact that our o-line just can't get it done. I personally wouldn't have had too much of a problem with a little more running than we've been doing... but it needs to be called in a smart manner. Not 3 or 4 times in a row like we typically do. Then, if a run doesn't get us a bunch of yards, we need to be able to throw a slant to still pick up yards rather than our offense automatically going three-and-out if one run play doesn't go well... I've seen that pattern a bunch this year.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Ya ever notice how Iowa state blocks??? They never pull anybody unless its a ROLL OUT PASS. Stevie hits the hole everytime with nobody as a lead blocker or clearing out a running lane. If Barney Cotton has a job next year in Ames, I'm dumping the clones and rooting for a team of the same caliber. Go Drake!!!

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Urgency may not be the best word but its good one. they dont seem to be confident. no one leads offense like the QuarterBack I am reminded of the year we would play Meyer and Flynn you saw two offenses on the field and it took both time to warm up. it looks like the same this year.

lots of times they never got rolling its absolutely sickening to see that this year with a Quarterback that seems locked in to starter and he is looking like a freshman

I think Meyer is shell-shocked. He's under immediate pressure every time. I'd love to see what would happen if the receivers got the chance to get down field and Meyer had a pocket to throw from.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I think Meyer is shell-shocked. He's under immediate pressure every time. I'd love to see what would happen if the receivers got the chance to get down field and Meyer had a pocket to throw from.

I definitely agree.

I was watching him carefully during the OU game. When we actually had some time to throw (which was rare), he got happy feet like he was expecting someone to be on top of him.

And OU's D-line was pretty bad...I believe they were last in the Big 12 in sacks. :growl5cj:

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
I definitely agree.

I was watching him carefully during the OU game. When we actually had some time to throw (which was rare), he got happy feet like he was expecting someone to be on top of him.

And OU's D-line was pretty bad...I believe they were last in the Big 12 in sacks. :growl5cj:

Yes, they WERE.