So we can all assume that Babb will not be wearing his gold shoes anymore right?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I can't ever recall such a streaky shooter in my lifetime. The first 2 months of the season, Babb was burying the prettiest 3 pointers I can recall. They rarely even caught the rim they were so money. He missed 4-5 completely uncontested 3's last night. I really hope he finds his stroke soon, he needs to be able to hit those consistently.

With that being said, I love watching the guy play and I'm really happy he's a Cyclone. Really nice guy too - big fan.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
His defense is as fun to watch as White's offense.
Absolutely agree. Did you see him face guarding Nurse last night at the start of the second half? You could tell it really got into Nurse's head. He threw up his arms twice in frustration that he couldn't get open. Defensively he is our most valuable asset because he shuts down the leading scorer and it forces other players to step up in a roll they might not be comfortable in.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I thought the shoes looked good. I can guarantee you that last night's performance had nothing to do with any sort of jinx from wearing new shoes.

I don't care if Babb misses 10 3's in a double digit win against Texas Tech. I just need him to keep playing great D, like he has all year, and for him to get hot from 3 at some point in the B12 or NCAA tournaments.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I'm ok with him having a night where he doesn't score often, as long as he continues to own the other teams leading scorer on the defensive end.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I'm ok with him having a night where he doesn't score often, as long as he continues to own the other teams leading scorer on the defensive end.

Bingo. Saving 10 points on defense is as good as scoring 10 on offense.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Nurse didn't have a chance with Babb on him. Big height advantage and every bit as quick. Highlight of the game if you ask me.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Very true. But at the same time, even if he scored 8-12 points and held the other team's best scorer 10 points under his average, that could be a 20 point swing in ISU's favor. An incredibly more dangerous and solid team.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
More likely he has to go back to the fohawk! I thought Babb was really cold the last few games, but he's still a bit of 33% in the last 5 games or so. It's just he gets there by going 4-6 and then 0-6.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
It's just in his head. I definitely want him to keep shooting it, as I'm confident that he will start to hit those, and when he does, watch out.

For sure just in his head. He's been getting more and more visually frustrated about it too. Easy to see during the games. Seems like his first 3 of the game usually determines how his shooting will be for the night. Either way, he is a great defensive asset and him coming out if his shooting slump would just be icing on the cake.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Early in the 2nd half I saw Babb kind if getting in Nurse's face and talking trash (I assume). Nurse's body language seemed as if he immediately slinked away - he wouldn't look at Babb or return the gesture.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Regarding his shot, I noticed he was fading a bit last night, and sort of scissoring/ kicking his legs. I'm no shot doctor, but I notice that when Scott and Allen are hitting, they rise perfectly vertical, and they're legs are still/ straight. I assume this is why they are more consistent.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Regarding his shot, I noticed he was fading a bit last night, and sort of scissoring/ kicking his legs. I'm no shot doctor, but I notice that when Scott and Allen are hitting, they rise perfectly vertical, and they're legs are still/ straight. I assume this is why they are more consistent.
Noticed that to on a couple shots. I'm sure Hoiberg is helping him.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
He expends a lot of energy on defense and a 3 pt. shooter needs his "legs". And missing your first couple doesn't help your confidence. Babb is my favorite guy for his 100% effort on defense and his over-all attitude. I can not recall any past Cyclone's who were money lock shut down defenders like him. Even though they lost the game, the job he did against Mizzou was epic. Hope he can do it again in Columbia.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
When a good 3 pt shooter is wide open facing the basket, receives the pass ball, and shoots without dribbling, he hits half the time.

The shots I saw Babb take were off a dribble and on a swing around to the basket--poor percentage shot.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm not in any way, shape or form saying that Christopherson is Babb's equal on defense, but Scotty guarded Nurse quite a bit when Chris had to sit with foul trouble in the second half and he did a decent job. It's not like Nurse immediately heated up and took over the game again. He may not be the best defensive player on the team but he certainly is better than how he is often portrayed on this board.