Holiday Party Happenings

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Anyone here seen or been apart of a Holiday Party gone bad? Our yearly shindig is this Saturday evening... I buy the meal, one drink and open the bar up till $250 is gone.

Last year I had a spouse lay into me (basically yelling across the bar) that I should promote their spouse for the job that was just posted and they applied for. Anyone wanna guess who DIDN'T get the job?

-keep.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
I saw my former boss get plastered with his girlfiend a few years ago. They are both in their mid 50's. By the end of the night they were "Dirty Dancing" on the floor, she was giving him a lap dance and they were just generally making out everywhere.

At the same party another supervisor was so drunk that she missed her chair when she went to sit down. Might not have been that big of deal but when she fell she reached for the table and grabbed the tablecloth instead. As she fell she pulled everything on top of her. Too funny.

That was the talk of the office for awhile.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Anyone here seen or been apart of a Holiday Party gone bad? Our yearly shindig is this Saturday evening... I buy the meal, one drink and open the bar up till $250 is gone.

Last year I had a spouse lay into me (basically yelling across the bar) that I should promote their spouse for the job that was just posted and they applied for. Anyone wanna guess who DIDN'T get the job?

-keep.

Where's it at?? I'm sure we (your CF friends) can have that $250 spent pretty darn quick.

EDIT: I actually had two co-workers show up together to the office party....basically formally announcing their office romance. It was kind of awkward!!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
$250 bar tab... jeez, that would not last 5 people a few hours...

Ours is this friday, and I won't have any good stories. I will go, have a few beers and then leave.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
One of my girlfriend's friend from college and her husband have a wine party where everyone brings at least a bottle of wine and everyone just has whatever they want. The whole kitchen counter is basically a free for all wine buffet. Here's the total bottles gone through by year and their goal is to beat that total the next year:

2003: 18
2004: 27
2005: 46
2006: 57

I'm guessing the guest list has gotten bigger each year and the drinking probably a little more too but last year was the first time I could make it so I don't have much to compare the 18 to 57 bottle jump in 4 years.

Work used to have a really nice Holiday party but that got axed just like some of our other benefits have over the years.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Does female co-workers making out, grinding on top a bar with each other count?:smile:

Best Christmas party EVER!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Does female co-workers making out, grinding on top a bar with each other count?:smile:

Best Christmas party EVER!

Do you have any job openings?

The past two jobs I have had, dont bother to have christmas parties. =(

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Mine is on a Thursday and we are expected to make it in to work by 8 on Friday :wacko:.

I actually don't plan on staying at it much past dinner. I haven't heard any interesting stories about last years party.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Last year at the then fiance's Christmas party one of her coworker's blew up on me and stormed out... I guess she is just the 'hate everyone' type and I gave her a hard time because she was all pissy that Cooney's wouldnt let her start a tab and didn't have jaeger.... This year's starts at Spaghetti Works... should be interesting...

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Ours is the 14th. First one at this company.

In the past - my boss brought his new girlfriend (he was still married, but talking about getting seperated). They made out. He moved out of his house shortly after that.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
There's a reason I'm not too fond of attending these types of things anymore.

You get co-workers together after a rough day/month/year, booze, crazy conversation and suddenly it's anything goes.

Had a former boss who's wife (they had kids) committed suicide and not long after he was dating an employee that reported to him. Coincidence? Hard to tell. He took to the drink, got fired and they supposedly ran off together. She was a damn good employee until getting mixed up in all that.

Extreme situation, I know.

I enjoy working with the people I am around and will partake in some company functions. The holiday ones are the worst though and if I go - it's not for very long anymore.

Ours is tonight and I already had other plans - so I have an out.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Xmas parties are the worst. Nothing good can come of them. I figure I spend 40+ hours a week with these people, why in the heck would I would want to go out and have a party with them? The ones I care to be around away from work I already am, so what is the point?

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
I keep the "Professional Redrocker" and "After-hours Redrocker" seperated. I do not need the guys that work for me seeing the wild side.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I have found that sometimes people open up at holiday parties. You get to know some folks you otherwise wouldnt ever think about. Yeah that can have its drawbacks, but all in all if you dont take things so seriously they are fun. Its Christmas, i tend to let go a little and be merry.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
We're gonna have to ask for some pictures or even better a video of that for proof!!

Oh trust me I knew things were going to get out of control at that party. I took pictures and still have them. You never know when you'll need to blackmail someone!

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have avoided most office Christmas parties since my first formal one. I was working in Aspen and our company had our party at a local hot spot. The office (not a big one mind you) ran up a $2,000 bar tab. One of the manager's brought her husband to the party and he started untying one of the assistant's dresses in front of all of us.....then her top came off the moment she moved. She had only been with the company a couple of months. One of the boyfriends that was brought to the party was dealing at the bar. I am not talking about cards or wacky tobaccy. The Senior Partner's wife interrogated me for half of the party about her husbands inability to remotely connect to the office while he was visiting Siberia.
The only positive is that I was invited to an invitation only Details Magazine Party.

I am going to my current company's party on Saturday...after successfully avoiding it for a couple of years.

Last edited: