K-State fan starts early

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
The teacher was obviously a bitter KU fan. I imagine there are a lot of hok fans that are teachers that would act the same way. Probably why the overall quality of education in Iowa is trending down.

At least we can take comfort in the fact that there are several Clone fans on this site that are teachers and who continue to fight the good fight. :yes:

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I had tears in my eyes reading the mom's blog it was so funny. I also have a 5 year old girl that I could picture doing the same to her teacher if asked to color a certain Iowa mascot. Thankfully we do not live in state so we won't have that issue, but I love that the parents are raising their kid to be proud of the school and understand what a rivalry is all about. None of this feel-good happy go lucky I root for the other school when not playing us.

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
Agreed that the teacher/school was in the wrong to not give kids an alternative to color, especially when it comes to in-state rivals. (This probabably wouldn't be a story in a state like MN w/no real in-state rivals).

But does anyone else think the girl needs a little bit more perspective? Why is the girl so passionate about a school she has not attended? My wife and I are both ISU alum, and we generally root against the Hawkeyes. But I would be mortified if my kids reacted this way.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Agreed that the teacher/school was in the wrong to not give kids an alternative to color, especially when it comes to in-state rivals. (This probabably wouldn't be a story in a state like MN w/no real in-state rivals).

But does anyone else think the girl needs a little bit more perspective? Why is the girl so passionate about a school she has not attended? My wife and I are both ISU alum, and we generally root against the Hawkeyes. But I would be mortified if my kids reacted this way.

This!

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
The teacher was obviously a bitter KU fan. I imagine there are a lot of hok fans that are teachers that would act the same way. Probably why the overall quality of education in Iowa is trending down.

At least we can take comfort in the fact that there are several Clone fans on this site that are teachers and who continue to fight the good fight. :yes:

It's just coloring a picture in kindergarten.

2Xclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

It's a 5 year old. They sometimes act like this. The mom handled it well, she didn't just let it slide.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Teacher should have done something more neutral. Like color map of Kansas or something.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I find it totally inappropriate that the teacher's response was SO negative. Find SOMETHING ELSE for the girl to color.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
That kids got a hot mom. Yes please.

2011-04-12_19-32-31_140.jpg

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I find it totally inappropriate that the teacher's response was SO negative. Find SOMETHING ELSE for the girl to color.

Absolutely. It is the teacher who should be reprimanded, not the child. If the teacher told her that today the whole class is coloring a Jayhawk and tomorrow the whole class will be coloring a Wildcat, I might be a little more sympathetic. I don't think it is appropriate for a teacher to be indoctrinating grade school students in college loyalties. When they have college spirit days at my kid's school my daughter wears Cyclone gear if she wants to and even though this is Gopher country they better be okay with that.

And yes, I don't think that a teacher should be demanding that Ames school kids have to do Cyclone projects either. If a kid supports another school and feels strongly about it, they should have the right to an alternate project.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
On one hand, I don't know why the teacher didn't compromise, and let her color the Jayhawk purple. They're just purple Kansas anyway.

:wideeyed:

On the other hand, I don't get the inclusion of the Jayhawk anyway. Sounds like it was a "learn about Kansas" activity. Kansas is the Sunflower state, it's not like Iowa, where it is officially (begrudgingly) the Hawkeye state. Jayhawk is not the state bird or animal. As mom said on her blog, the only Kansas (the state) plausible reason for the Jayhawk would be historical, the Jayhawkers, and that's not appropriate for kindergartners.

Although, I suspect that the teacher's reaction was more about the refusal than Jayhawk/Wildcat. Kindergarten teachers have a whole different mindset. It's first and foremost about keeping order. Allowing kids to do something else because they don't want to do something is asking for future issues.

In the end, it's a funny little slice of life story.

Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron