Playstation 3 junkies?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Any Playstation 3 junkies out there?

Looking to grab a PS3(BluRay for Dad) for the kiddies for Christmas. Anyone got any comments on running older model games?

Reason I ask is because my 4 yr old will be using it and I can't find any new preschool games for the PS3 yet. As long as I can use her current games or even some PS2 Daddy gets a new PS3....ooops....I mean my kids get a PS3.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Any Playstation 3 junkies out there?

Looking to grab a PS3(BluRay for Dad) for the kiddies for Christmas. Anyone got any comments on running older model games?

Reason I ask is because my 4 yr old will be using it and I can't find any new preschool games for the PS3 yet. As long as I can use her current games or even some PS2 Daddy gets a new PS3....ooops....I mean my kids get a PS3.

I have the 60gb PS3 and it plays all the old games. I don't think the new cheap one($399) does.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Just received my 80 gig model Friday (hardly posted here over the weekend) and it has setting for old PS2 games. So I am assuming it does a nice job.

- keep.

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
A few questions about the ps3. I have had mine for a while and just now getting the internet hooked up. Anybody have some tips on doing this?

I have wireless in my office which is about 50 yards from my house. The PS3 wont pick that up. So I bring my laptop over and it picks up internet signal but is very weak. the ps3 will connect with the computer but the computer says weak or no signal with the ps3 but the laptop can still display internet pages. can i just get a wireless booster and hook the ps3 up to the laptop or can i put a wireless card in the front of the ps3? somebody help me out here.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Yes, stay away from the 40gb $399 model if you want backwards compatibility. One of the cost cutting measures Sony used was eliminating PS2 support -- but oddly enough, I think it will still play PS1 games. :confused:

Also, the graphics for the PS2 playback are somewhat worse from what I've heard, but I doubt your 4 year old will even notice.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The 40 GB PS3 will not play any old PS2 games at all. THe 80 GB version will play some older games, but not all, and some of the ones that it does play have problems.

Backwards compatibility took a step "backward" when Sony released the 40 and 80 GB SKU's. If you have the older 20GB or 60 GB models you should be fine. (although I've heard of some problems with playing old games) Unfortunately, unless you go the Ebay route, you probably won't be able to find one of the older ones. They just don't make them anymore.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Go get the 80 gig and take advantage of I think there is a deal out there that includes Motorstorm, which is rated Teen, I think just because of the crashes. And the free 5 blu-ray's, which is a hell of a deal.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
A few questions about the ps3. I have had mine for a while and just now getting the internet hooked up. Anybody have some tips on doing this?

I have wireless in my office which is about 50 yards from my house. The PS3 wont pick that up. So I bring my laptop over and it picks up internet signal but is very weak. the ps3 will connect with the computer but the computer says weak or no signal with the ps3 but the laptop can still display internet pages. can i just get a wireless booster and hook the ps3 up to the laptop or can i put a wireless card in the front of the ps3? somebody help me out here.

You have a few options that I can think of.

#1 Run cat 5 from the office router to the PS3

#2 Buy another wireless router and bridge that with your current wireless router. I tried this and it didn't work very well.

#3 If your home is using the same electricity as the office you can buy one of these.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009JR3S4/ref=nosim/coffeeresearch70137-20]Amazon.com: IOGear GHPB32W4 PowerLine Networking Kit: Electronics[/ame]

I use the 3rd option and it works good. Just make sure you don't plug it into a powerstrip.