Schroll joins Central Michigan University

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
For those who are curious, CMU is only about a half hour from her hometown.

Best of luck to you Jess, and you're always welcome in Cyclone Nation.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Best of luck to her, she represented Iowa State with dignity during her stay here.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We will miss her just like we do the German Bomber and Hambone. They have gone onto other pastures.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
One bad season and we blame a coach who has taken one of our programs to the highest of highs. Also their is probably one big doner that really cares about womens basketball and what bill is doing. They care about mens b ball ane football

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
One bad season and we blame a coach who has taken one of our programs to the highest of highs. Also their is probably one big doner that really cares about womens basketball and what bill is doing. They care about mens b ball ane football
Its not the win/loss record that people are upset with.

Reactions: barometriclow

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Its not the win/loss record that people are upset with.

Unless someone actually knows what happened and is willing to put names and reputations on the line to bring out what they are "upset with" then IMO people need to shut up and move on. Anyone can hide behind an avatar on a message board but how many have the guts to stake something factual to back up their claims?

I highly doubt Bill has all the sudden changed the way he has coached in the matter of a few months. Prior to this season the man has compiled a 354-160 (.688) record at ISU, .602 winning % in conference play along with 12 NCAA tourney appearances that included making the Sweet 16 3 times and the Elite 8 twice. He's basically been the face of ISU athletics through 3 different AD's, 3 FB head coaches, and 5 MBB coaches. The women's program went from a doormat program in the conference lucky to get 100 people to come watch them to a consistent NCAA and Big 12 competitor and one of the top attendence in the country. His players love him as well as the fans and you are going to have a hard time finding someone willing to go on record and speak a bad word about the man over the years. As someone who knows a HS girls basketball coach that has had to deal with parents complaining about him yelling at their daughters during games, I tend to side with what he tells the parents "when I am no longer yelling at your daughter then you have a reason to be worried because that means I've given up on her and just don't care anymore." Seems like kids are too used to people telling them how great they are and whenever they get some criticism take it too personally these days. You can't have it both ways.

I don't get how 1 rough season and a player leaving and all the sudden there is a problem with coach Fennelly. I don't buy that one bit and I am sick of seeing people here questioning or throwing him under the bus over Schroll leaving. It frustrates the heck out of me how anyone can take the side of underachieving athletes that are not putting in the effort to compete at the level needed to win in the Big 12 over a proven coach who I might add was thought highly enough across the country to coach Team USA this past summer who demands perfection and the hard work and effort it takes to compete at this level. We haven't had the most talented teams in the conference in the past but Bill got every bit he could out of teams that may have been over-matched athletically on the court and beaten more talented teams.

It's time to quit passing the blame or trying to start rumors and support the team we have that is on the floor now that is committed to this program. Unless anyone is willing to back it with some factual stories and sources there is no need to continue to stir things up on this subject when you have nothing substantial to back it up with.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
I think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt right now. Cancer is a very strange disease and people handle it differently. Let's give the guy a break. Just my thought on this.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Unless someone actually knows what happened and is willing to put names and reputations on the line to bring out what they are "upset with" then IMO people need to shut up and move on. Anyone can hide behind an avatar on a message board but how many have the guts to stake something factual to back up their claims?

I highly doubt Bill has all the sudden changed the way he has coached in the matter of a few months. Prior to this season the man has compiled a 354-160 (.688) record at ISU, .602 winning % in conference play along with 12 NCAA tourney appearances that included making the Sweet 16 3 times and the Elite 8 twice. He's basically been the face of ISU athletics through 3 different AD's, 3 FB head coaches, and 5 MBB coaches. The women's program went from a doormat program in the conference lucky to get 100 people to come watch them to a consistent NCAA and Big 12 competitor and one of the top attendence in the country. His players love him as well as the fans and you are going to have a hard time finding someone willing to go on record and speak a bad word about the man over the years. As someone who knows a HS girls basketball coach that has had to deal with parents complaining about him yelling at their daughters during games, I tend to side with what he tells the parents "when I am no longer yelling at your daughter then you have a reason to be worried because that means I've given up on her and just don't care anymore." Seems like kids are too used to people telling them how great they are and whenever they get some criticism take it too personally these days. You can't have it both ways.

I don't get how 1 rough season and a player leaving and all the sudden there is a problem with coach Fennelly. I don't buy that one bit and I am sick of seeing people here questioning or throwing him under the bus over Schroll leaving. It frustrates the heck out of me how anyone can take the side of underachieving athletes that are not putting in the effort to compete at the level needed to win in the Big 12 over a proven coach who I might add was thought highly enough across the country to coach Team USA this past summer who demands perfection and the hard work and effort it takes to compete at this level. We haven't had the most talented teams in the conference in the past but Bill got every bit he could out of teams that may have been over-matched athletically on the court and beaten more talented teams.

It's time to quit passing the blame or trying to start rumors and support the team we have that is on the floor now that is committed to this program. Unless anyone is willing to back it with some factual stories and sources there is no need to continue to stir things up on this subject when you have nothing substantial to back it up with.

So are you saying/blaming Jess for all of the problem? You want this to stop but then you go ahead and blame the player! BF will be BF, he is human and can like all of us make a mistake from time to time. I think he will learn form this and continue to be a great coach and I agree the blame should end now so we can move forward this season.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
So are you saying/blaming Jess for all of the problem? You want this to stop but then you go ahead and blame the player! BF will be BF, he is human and can like all of us make a mistake from time to time. I think he will learn form this and continue to be a great coach and I agree the blame should end now so we can move forward this season.

I'm not blaming the player, I may have phrased it wrong but when it comes to a player/coach situation I usually tend to take the side of the coach who knows best and some of the players these days tend to have the attitude that the coach should cater to them not they play how the coach wants them to. I have never claimed I know what the issue was in this whole Schroll mess but based on the many years of service and success Bill has given this program and his track record with how he handles his players I have a hard time pointing a finger at him.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

+1
This isn't Jess' fault. And no one outside of the program and family knows much of anything. Time to move on. Wish Jess the best for representing ISU the way it is supposed to be done and support the Sisters!

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I don't get how 1 rough season and a player leaving and all the sudden there is a problem with coach Fennelly.

Unfortunately, the problem is that this isn't about one season. It's about what has been going on for the past several years, and it has been discussed here regulalry. The revolving door roster is catching up to ISU WBB, just like it did to ISU MBB when McDermott was coaching.

It was reported in a different thread that Gahan, Medders-Fennelly and Stuckey have all addressed the team recently. In my experience, when this sort of thing happens (whether in sports or business), it's done to get the "team" to buy into the staff philosphy. Nomally this would be done by seniors who have been in the program four (or five) years and can guide the yonger players. Unfortunately, ISU has none of those to take the lead. ISU's two seniors are JUCO transfers. Behind that, there are only three juniors.

BF needs to find a way to stabilize his roster, or things are only going to get worse. If he needs to change his ways to adapt to "kids nowadays", then that's what he needs to do. ISU can't survive in the Big 12 with roster dominated by freshman, sophomores, and JUCO tranfsers. Players need to come up through the sytem.

As others have pointed out, with the once-in-a-decade-or-two favorable NCAA tourney setup for ISU this year, this is a really bad time to hit a slump.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Acoustmac is probably in the know as much of anyone.
Best to move on for now, wish Jess the best, but recognize there is always a lot in play.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron