Maddy Baier's Senior Season

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
Maddy Baier's team, South Tama, is No. 2 in 3A in Iowa.

In game one, South Tama beat Vinton-Shellburg 68-34. Maddy had 15 points & 14 rebounds.

GIRLS BASKETBALL: South Tama starts with decisive win - TimesRepublican.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community info - Times Republican

In game two, South Tama faced No. 14 Waverly-Shell Rock and won 46-43. Maddy had 22 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks for the Trojans.

Ranked clash goes South Tama’s way - TimesRepublican.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community info - Times Republican

Off to a great start this season for the recruit!

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
Sounds good so far. Do you know whether or not she has gone up against anyone near her size yet? Just wondering.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I had originally planned to go to the first game because it is the closest one to me. Then the OSU fb game ended up bring that night, and I opted to stay home to watch it.

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
Sounds good so far. Do you know whether or not she has gone up against anyone near her size yet? Just wondering.

Not that I know of. I know in the Grinnell game she was easily half a foot taller than Grinnell's tallest.

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
Maddy in the last three games:

Maddy had 8 pts in South Tama's 56-49 win over Grundy Center.

GIRLS HOOPS: Fourth-ranked STC survives challenge in NICL West debut - TimesRepublican.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community info - Times Republican

Maddy finished with 24 points vs East Marshall as South Tama won 70-48.

GIRLS HOOPS: Baier leads No. 2 STC over Mustangs - TimesRepublican.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community info - Times Republican

Maddy had 19 in the South Tama win over West Marshall, 65-45.

No. 1 pours it on in fourth quarter - TimesRepublican.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community info - Times Republican

Before the West Marshall game, South Tama moved to No. 1 in 3A.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
I'm excited, her high school moved to my high school's conference this year and i will be able to see her play... she'll probably kill us, but I'm definitley going to this game.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Last season, Baier averaged a staggering 4.5 block per game and that has only improved on that this season. Already up to 21 blocks and is averaging nearly 9 boards a game for the 7-0 Trojans. On the offensive side of the ball, she is leading the number one ranked class 3A Trojans with 17 points per game.
21 / 7 = 3.0. Not sure that's an improvement. :)

(Not a knock on Baier. Just making fun of the story.)

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
Thanks, MRed, for the video. I hope she will learn to use the backboard even more forcefully than she does here. Looks like she has great potential, given her defensive ability.

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
I'm excited, her high school moved to my high school's conference this year and i will be able to see her play... she'll probably kill us, but I'm definitley going to this game.

It doesn't seem like her team has had much competition as of yet. Most of the games haven't been too close.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
It doesn't seem like her team has had much competition as of yet. Most of the games haven't been too close.

Yea, the NICL West isn't very good this year. It has in the past; Grundy Center won state like in 2004 and my high school won state in 2009. Our team is def. not good this year, so I would say South Tama should roll and win the conference. Grundy Center this year is decent, and they might make it to state.

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
Per Travis Hines of the Times-Republican, 3A No. 1 South Tama lost 54-50 to Grundy Center tonight.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Yea, the NICL West isn't very good this year. It has in the past; Grundy Center won state like in 2004 and my high school won state in 2009. Our team is def. not good this year, so I would say South Tama should roll and win the conference. Grundy Center this year is decent, and they might make it to state.

Go G-R!

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Per Travis Hines of the Times-Republican, 3A No. 1 South Tama lost 54-50 to Grundy Center tonight.
Spartans stun top-ranked South Tama - TimesRepublican.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community info - Times Republican

Baier picked up her second foul with 3 minutes remaining in the first quarter, sat until halftime and then picked up her third and fourth fouls within a minute of each other late in the third.

She checked in with under 4 minutes to play in the fourth and lasted until there were 52 seconds remaining, with STC down just two.

"When somebody who is such a big part of your team is out for a majority of the game," said Roberts, "it's tough."