Feelings about rest of season?

mschwartzkopf

Mar 12, 2011
Ames
Now, with these 2 early wins in the big 12 slate. I was just wondering how everyone was feeling for the rest of the big 12 schedule, tourney. Maybe postseason tourney?
Other than that, 2 early impressive wins thus far.

DumbFan

Mar 15, 2009
Central Iowa
I won't predict a tourney appearance until we beat a quality opponent. If we win Wednesday, I think the post season is possible. If we beat Kansas then NCAA's here we come!

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
Ask this question in early February. Two wins is nice, but these weren't tourney teams by any stretch.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm happy with how we've played in the conference games so far. But we haven't run into any of the quality teams yet. We did our part to make A&M look bad, but they couldn't beat Ames High with the way they played today. Texas was without their best player for most of the second half (and was in the middle of a big run when he went out) and had mostly freshmen playing after that.

I'm hoping for good things and I think we have reason for optimism. But we'll know a lot more after the next two games.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm not convinced this team will make a post season appearance just yet but its really nice to see us winning the "winnable" games. UT and A&M are nothing special but these are the types of games you just have to win, you have to think this team feels like they can play with anyone in the conference.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Now, with these 2 early wins in the big 12 slate. I was just wondering how everyone was feeling for the rest of the big 12 schedule, tourney. Maybe postseason tourney?
Other than that, 2 early impressive wins thus far.

I feel a lot more confident than I did a week ago.

It isn't just the 2-0 start — which is nice in itself; I had moderate expectations in preseason that looked too optimistic after non-conference, and still predicted opening at 0-2.

I've watched two games vs. teams that weren't either mid-majors or sub-NIT: Michigan and A&M. This was night-and-day compared to the U-M game (although I'm pretty sure Michigan is much better than ATM).

Let's pretend UT and A&M underperform this season, and end up in the lower division. I haven't seen Iowa State close out a winnable home game and follow it with a beat-down on the road during Big 12 play in the same week for a long time.

In the short-term, that's refreshing. I won't extrapolate beyond that (although it's human nature to do so).

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
I think they can go .500 in league. .500 should get u into the dance.
.500 would put us at 19-12 going into the Big 12 tourney. I don't think that gets us in. We need 21+.

I feel like they are going to be really competitive in the big games: Texas, KU, Baylor, Mizzou. But they will play really poorly in the less important games: OU, TTU.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I think we have a shot at having a pretty good year. But if the guys get cocky and go back to playing like they were a few weeks ago we could be in for a few beatdowns over the next week or two.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We are solid not great yet. We are a team where if we make shots we are great, if we dont then we will struggle. Expect this trend to continue all year. Royce is a beast and an obvious team leader, he will win us a couple games on his own.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
.500 would put us at 19-12 going into the Big 12 tourney. I don't think that gets us in. We need 21+.

I feel like they are going to be really competitive in the big games: Texas, KU, Baylor, Mizzou. But they will play really poorly in the less important games: OU, TTU.

I think you're right about needing to get 21 wins, our non con slate isn't going to turn any heads, our entire tourney resume would be based completely on what we do in big 12 play. The good news is we get 6 games against top 10ish type teams, 3 at home. Those game are going to be huge as far as getting the media/committee's attention.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
I think you're right about needing to get 21 wins, our non con slate isn't going to turn any heads, our entire tourney resume would be based completely on what we do in big 12 play. The good news is we get 6 games against top 10ish type teams, 3 at home. Those game are going to be huge as far as getting the media/committee's attention.

I think 21 is too high. If we got 19 we would have to get a few wins against some real quality teams which sometimes matters more. I think the Big XII can get 6 in. IF ISU is indeed better than TAMU and UT thats puts em at 8th. I think they could also be better than OU TTU and OSU putting them around 6th in the conf. With a 16 game conf schedule 21 wins might be accurate but with an 18 game conf schedule I think 19 would do the trick.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
I think the media/committee are going to notice very quickly that the Big 12 is down this year. I see 4 maybe 5 getting in this year. KU, BU, MU and who knows after that.