Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Neither Cal nor Texas sold their 11,000 ticket allotment. Also, it was the smallest Holiday Bowl crowd (57,313) since 1997.

I know these mid-level and lower bowl games love when a Texas, OU, Ohio State, etc. fall into their games but why? The reason they do is because they have a disappointing season and the majority of their fans don't really care about the game. Sure the TV ratings may be better but the people running the games care more about actual attendance than ratings (unless its an ESPN-owned bowl).

Do you think ISU would have sold 11k? I do. If we sold 5k for the Pinstripe (expensive as hell), I think double that to go to San Diego would be attainable.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I would have gone to any other bowl, but I was not going to NYC for an reason.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Neither Cal nor Texas sold their 11,000 ticket allotment. Also, it was the smallest Holiday Bowl crowd (57,313) since 1997.

I know these mid-level and lower bowl games love when a Texas, OU, Ohio State, etc. fall into their games but why? The reason they do is because they have a disappointing season and the majority of their fans don't really care about the game. Sure the TV ratings may be better but the people running the games care more about actual attendance than ratings (unless its an ESPN-owned bowl).

Do you think ISU would have sold 11k? I do. If we sold 5k for the Pinstripe (expensive as hell), I think double that to go to San Diego would be attainable.

I'm not sure this is actually true. If I'm ponying up money to sponsor a bowl is it more beneficial to me to have a big crowd at the game, or lots of tv viewers seeing my logo all afternoon and getting bombarded with my commercials? I'm sure the tourism boards and such want well travelling schools, but I would imagine their influence is negligible.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I'm not sure this is actually true. If I'm ponying up money to sponsor a bowl is it more beneficial to me to have a big crowd at the game, or lots of tv viewers seeing my logo all afternoon and getting bombarded with my commercials? I'm sure the tourism boards and such want well travelling schools, but I would imagine their influence is negligible.

That may be true because why would the Houston Bowl select ATM - they did so in order to sell more tickets but it would not maximize the economic impact to Houston like ISU would have made, it must be TV rev.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Easily...I had a trip for 3 all ready until we got punk'd.

I think we would have had 15-20k in San Diego and sold the 11k allotment through the University. Holiday Bowl would have represented another "next step" for the program.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
That may be true because why would the Houston Bowl select ATM - they did so in order to sell more tickets but it would not maximize the economic impact to Houston like ISU would have made, it must be TV rev.

There are some exceptions I see. For example, the ratings for the BCS games and a few other bigger bowls are generally going to be high regardless, so I'm sure there is more of an emphasis on travelling fanbases for those. Take this year's Sugar Bowl for instance, I'm pretty sure that Boise St. would draw bigger tv ratings than Virginia Tech (although KSU would still get screwed).

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
My wife, my 5 month old and I would have driven to Dallas. NYC? No way.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I really don't think the Holiday Bowl was any cheaper. I know most of the flights were actually more expensive.

1981CY

Dec 27, 2011

Tickets to San Deigo were way more expensive than to NYC!!

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
It's not cheaper, but it's the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. People would have FLOCKED there.

Perhaps, but the argument that NYC is expensive as a reason not to go goes out the window with San Diego. Expensive crappy flights, expensive food, expensive hotels.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Perhaps, but the argument that NYC is expensive as a reason not to go goes out the window with San Diego. Expensive crappy flights, expensive food, expensive hotels.

Yes, San Diego would have been a lot more expensive of a Trip. But the idea of going to San Diego probably would have propelled a lot more people to go. I still wouldn't have been able to make it though as this years vacation time I had was used up watching the kids at home.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I already had a trip to arizona planned that I just got back from. I could of extended that flight and gone to the insight or the holiday bowl easy. I think those would of been the only ones I would of tried to attend this year. Maybe a Texas bowl.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Holiday Bowl was the one possible bowl destination I could have sold as our annual winter vacation, other than the outside chance at New Orleans bowl at large selection.

I think ISU takes a TON of fans the first time if we ever score a Holiday Bowl invite.

We love New York but we go there once or twice a year for business already.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm going to NYC but I think you'd have about 4-10 more ISU fans there considering I live 2 hrs from that stadium and have friends with a house in SD. Holiday next year plz :)