It almost happened for the Gazette

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Saturday morning's Gazette gives top story to the Cyclones. ISU even got the front page notice over Iowa. AND The stories are positive about us, most of Iowa coverage is about who is going to play running back now.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
12533367.jpg

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
At first I was pleased to see such a lengthy write up for a paper that usually has to make room for feature articles about Iowa's 3rd string RB's part-time job or something, but as I kept reading, I realized it was the same old awful journalism you get from this paper--sans Mike Hlas and Orlan Love, of course.

It involves more Hawkeye coddling--evidently a win over a marginal football team was improbable--and he makes sure to get a discrediting detail about the OSU game in there with mention of their heavy hearts.

I'm posting this because I feel like this writer needs to be let known just how clear his wry smile is shining through.

Iowa State’s season from 20,000 feet: An unforgettable journey to the Pinstripe Bowl | TheGazette

I'm posting this because you appear to be somewhat of an insecure tool.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
...sorry, I don't find backhanded compliments from a writer to be a good article.

I don't have Hawkeye hate--I grew up in the area and know how one-sided The Gazette is when it comes to its sports reporting.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
...sorry, I don't find backhanded compliments from a writer to be a good article.

I don't have Hawkeye hate--I grew up in the area and know how one-sided The Gazette is when it comes to its sports reporting.

It's not articles lile this that make us seem like little brothers - its fans like you.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It's not articles lile this that make us seem like little brothers - its fans like you.

I thought it was a good article. The things in the article that bother me are true. But I don't think the article focuses on them. The fact that it includes links to good videos indicates to me that this is essentially a positive article.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Not seeing the "backhanded compliments" in this article. Criticisms listed are justified because they are true. If you think this season was a perfect one for ISU, the 6-6 record proves otherwise. As the writer says, 8-4 was attainable, and even then it wouldn't have been a perfect season.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Not seeing the "backhanded compliments" in this article. Criticisms listed are justified because they are true. If you think this season was a perfect one for ISU, the 6-6 record proves otherwise. As the writer says, 8-4 was attainable, and even then it wouldn't have been a perfect season.

Exactly. Some times I say that we were just a few plays from being 8-4, but also from being 3-9 with the second toughest schedule in the country. Second only to Kansas largely because we played them and they played us.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I thought it was a great article.

That being said, the "playing with heavy hearts" thing was redonkulas.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
The gazette has gotten a lot better lately about their Cyclone coverage. Hopefully it continues.

Help Support Us

Become a patron