Burgason's barrage not enough to topple the Cyclones

dglade

May 13, 2006
Waukee
I am not sure what Fred sees in White all the time. Offensively he has been very good at times. His defense though has been pretty suspect. Flat footed all the time and looks really slow. We play a lot better defense when he is not on the floor. I guess he see a lot more then the majority of the fans see. He just doesn't hustle.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The turnovers in bringing the ball up the court continue for him. Six turnovers last night.

One thing for sure is Railey has not had much court time yet. That may tell you what Fred is thinking.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I am not sure what Fred sees in White all the time. Offensively he has been very good at times. His defense though has been pretty suspect. Flat footed all the time and looks really slow. We play a lot better defense when he is not on the floor. I guess he see a lot more then the majority of the fans see. He just doesn't hustle.

All the ******** of White really reminds me of alot of the ******** of DG when he was younger( well hell alot of people ******* about DG up until last year.) White is a good player...

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Burgason would be nice to have on our bench.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is the Johnny part of Fred. Johnny had many larger posts ie victor Alexander who were lucky to make it to half court by the time the other team scored. When you are building a team you try to put points on the board, people would rather see a 80-70 loss than a 45-35 loss.

You put butts in the seats with offense, lickliter learned this.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
People ripping on White don't know much about basketball. The guy is very skilled. Yeah he turns it over but you have to remember this is his first year of college basketball. He will get better with that as time goes on. He makes some unbelievable passes at times. Last night he would have had more than 8 assists if a couple more open shots went down. He also had three blocks and a steal. I bet at some point this season the guy has a triple double.

Also, I have to say to Chris. Chris Allen looked very good last night. I have never seen him play that good. He didn't settle for shots and he was aggresive. If he continues to play like that he will be the leading scorer the rest of the season.

Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
People ripping on White don't know much about basketball. The guy is very skilled. Yeah he turns it over but you have to remember this is his first year of college basketball. He will get better with that as time goes on. He makes some unbelievable passes at times. Last night he would have had more than 8 assists if a couple more open shots went down. He also had three blocks and a steal. I bet at some point this season the guy has a triple double.

Also, I have to say to Chris. Chris Allen looked very good last night. I have never seen him play that good. He didn't settle for shots and he was aggresive. If he continues to play like that he will be the leading scorer the rest of the season.

Re: White: Agreed he has SO much raw ability it blows my mind. He makes plays on defense because of his athleticism, but isn't great fundamentally. Same could be said for his offense - he could stand to work on fundamentals and his jimmy over the next year.

Re: Allen: early on, he jacked an early shot-clock contested three. I thought "great, here comes the Allen show again..." then, he played really well. Made good decisions, attacked the basket some. Seemed to follow Scott's lead.

This team needs to have guards get into the lane. Scott's pull up jumpers work great. We have trouble getting the ball deep into the post. Last night, when Royce or Percy caught the ball, they were outside the lane.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I think the bench is where he'd stay for the most part if he was on our team.

Maybe, but the kid can shoot and would help us in droughts. I know he had a big night, but the kid has a nice stroke.

dglade

May 13, 2006
Waukee
There is no doubt he is talented and he plays very well on the offensive side of the ball most of the time. I was one of the few that thought DG was a very good player. He also hustled more from day one then White has.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Think about this. Despite what's his name going off for 9 threes, the defense still held Lipscomb to about 38% shooting for the game. Without a career night from Burgason it would most likely would have been even lower. That is a pretty good defensive performance.

Reactions: CycloneErik

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
The turnovers in bringing the ball up the court continue for him. Six turnovers last night.

One thing for sure is Railey has not had much court time yet. That may tell you what Fred is thinking.

Sure. The turnovers are there. But like Fred pointed out in his press conference, Royce could have neared 15 assists last night had his teammates finished all of the easy looks that he gave them. Dude is an AMAZING passer. He gets a little too cute once in a while, but hopefully he learns from that.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Think about this. Despite what's his name going off for 9 threes, the defense still held Lipscomb to about 38% shooting for the game. Without a career night from Burgason it would most likely would have been even lower. That is a pretty good defensive performance.

That's a really good point. Could have been their biggest loss of the year if the kid had average night.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe, but the kid can shoot and would help us in droughts. I know he had a big night, but the kid has a nice stroke.
This year Burgason three point shooting percentage is excellent. He would not be sitting as much this year. He is hitting threes about as well as Tyrus mcGee. Last night he did well on assists and rebounds also. He had a great game.

Last edited:

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Sure. The turnovers are there. But like Fred pointed out in his press conference, Royce could have neared 15 assists last night had his teammates finished all of the easy looks that he gave them. Dude is an AMAZING passer. He gets a little too cute once in a while, but hopefully he learns from that.

Agree - remember games in the Tinsley-era when teammates couldn't catch his pass to the chest for the life of them? It was soo fast and unexpected, it would bounce off their chest or hit them in the knuckles. To some extent, it's what you have to live with from a "great passer". The team should become more accustomed to them, however.

C

CyBer

Wrong.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
. . . Yeah he turns it over but you have to remember this is his first year of college basketball. . . .
He was with Minn. for most of a year (but didn't play in games). He was practicing all last year with ISU. This is only-in-the-most-technical-sense his "first" year of college basketball. Big difference between Royce's "first" year and an 18 year old fresh from ego-expanding high school/AAU.

There are plenty of great reasons to defend White (plays like a point, great passes sometimes unexpected and lead to turnovers, bringing the ball up the court a lot, assist/turnover ratio, wouldn't it be great if he actually got a quad double someday 'cause he's got that kind of all-around skills). Inexperience is not a good excuse to use for him.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
You can always that though. In order to stop certain things on defense, your willing to give up others.

Help Support Us

Become a patron