2012 Defense

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneCurt

Mar 18, 2010
Some on this board have stated that for the defense to improve next year, they will need to improve their effort against the run. While conference stats would support such a contention, I'm wondering if Wally Burnham's strategy is to give up a little against the run in order to better defend against the pass.

In conference games only, ISU ranked 7th in rushing defense this year (204 yds/game), but the Clones ranked a more respectable 5th in scoring defense - aided by their pass defense (3rd in the conference).

While it is incumbent on ISU to work on all facets of the defense this spring, maybe the stats are a bit misleading.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
ISU has been bringing in a lot of good prospects for the DL. You will start seeing more and more of those players next year and in the future. The defense is only going to get better.

Reactions: cyfanatic

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Our linebackers will help us stop the run. What worries me is breaking in new corners.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
With guys like Irving and Pompy coming to the DL, we are in good shape. A great DL can mask the weaknesses of a defense, and well we don't have any weakness at LB. We have talent and great coaching at DB, I'm not worried one bit.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We saw a lot of time from the guys who will be playing in the defensive backfield this year.

Reeves, Broomfield, Washington have all played a ton, and I think we'll see a lot of Givens, Watson, Lynn and maybe Brackens next year. Wouldn't mind seeing us pick up a lock-down JUCO guy though.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Part of that difference in stats is that with all of the 4-5 WR sets that we see, LB's have to drop back in pass coverage more often so they are not always able to concentrate on stopping the run. That leaves our D-line with a lot of that responsibility, which was improving throughout the year, but were gouged at times early in the season.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Some on this board have stated that for the defense to improve next year, they will need to improve their effort against the run. While conference stats would support such a contention, I'm wondering if Wally Burnham's strategy is to give up a little against the run in order to better defend against the pass.

In conference games only, ISU ranked 7th in rushing defense this year (204 yds/game), but the Clones ranked a more respectable 5th in scoring defense - aided by their pass defense (3rd in the conference).

While it is incumbent on ISU to work on all facets of the defense this spring, maybe the stats are a bit misleading.
Very good view, I really agree, that Burnham does work a bend not break type defense and in the offensive climate that we are up against this is a very good plan for the most part, in this situation if the DL improves skill-wise, the overall rating of against the run will come around, I truly see with the recruits coming in(Hayes, Aka, Pompcey, and Irving) and the valuable experice that was received this year from, Nelson, Jenson, Woods, Laing, Simon, I believe next year we may be upgrading here, put an offseason of McKnight under a guy like Irving and it will work wonders.....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I'm wondering if Wally Burnham's strategy is to give up a little against the run in order to better defend against the pass.

Wally did that against Baylor and Mizzou...got it handed to him on the ground. Scrapped that idea and played straight up for the most part against OSU and let his defensive backs do their job.

Of course, come to think of it OSU didnt bother to run that night. But had they it would have been into the teeth of a 7 man front and not 5 like Baylor/Mizzou.

Last edited:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We have a lot of solid talent in the ranks on defense. Our defense WILL be better in 2012 that it was this year, and i think it was pretty darn good this year.

Defensive line will be better. McD has really played well down the stretch and we will get Maggitt back (I think rhoads believed Maggitt was going to be a solid player this year)

Knott-Klein-Porter + Solid Depth
Morgan/Broomfield

At defensive back, we lose 2 great DBs. We gain a year in experience. I think LJ learned a ton by being a 4 year starter. Hopefully he has taught the young guys well. I don't think we have anything to worry about in the defensive backfield.

Top 5 defense in the big 12 next year. Count on it. Top 3 if our offense plays well.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We have a lot of solid talent in the ranks on defense. Our defense WILL be better in 2012 that it was this year, and i think it was pretty darn good this year.

Defensive line will be better. McD has really played well down the stretch and we will get Maggitt back (I think rhoads believed Maggitt was going to be a solid player this year)

Knott-Klein-Porter + Solid Depth
Morgan/Broomfield

At defensive back, we lose 2 great DBs. We gain a year in experience. I think LJ learned a ton by being a 4 year starter. Hopefully he has taught the young guys well. I don't think we have anything to worry about in the defensive backfield.

Top 5 defense in the big 12 next year. Count on it. Top 3 if our offense plays well.

Put me in this ship.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think the secondary will be the biggest question but a handful of young guys did see some time this year, that experience should help. The LB group will be as good as anyone in the conference, could be the best we've had at ISU. The Dline has some holes to fill but for the most part the coaching staff got more out of them then most of us probably thought, no reason to think that won't continue.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
(Not totally sure at what point it occurs, but) T J Mutcherson is going to see the field and be an impact player in 2012. IMHO.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
pass rush has been the worst part of our defense for the last few years. we will have an amazing group of LBs next year and they will be even better if the d-line can step up the pass rush. with all these new guys we have coming in, i think we will be fine. so many options, i'm sure at least 1 or 2 of these guys will earn PT next year. plus we get maggitt healthy. depending on what the depth chart looks like, this could be the biggest d-line we have had in years!