Can someone explain to me?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
This is probably discussed out the a somewhere but I'd like to hear a direct answer. What makes Bubu not a high enough quality point guard to start for us? He is extremely quick and if you watch in warm ups he can sky and dunk. Is it the walk on label?

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
This is probably discussed out the a somewhere but I'd like to hear a direct answer. What makes Bubu not a high enough quality point guard to start for us? He is extremely quick and if you watch in warm ups he can sky and dunk. Is it the walk on label?

You can say that about any guard on the team right now.

H

HGPuck

The answer is the quality of the other four guards we have that get significant minutes and that all four of them can handle the ball and pass effectively. Bubu will continue to be a contributor just like he has been so far this season. And when he is in there he is not really playing an exclusive point guard. He is playing a combo guard that is similar to what the other four do as well, but Palo and Allen have handled most of the half court offense initiation the last couple games (and it has been an improvement).

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I would start him- we seem more active on offense with him on the court.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

He is a talented enough player to start, though we do have some good ones ahead of him. I like the way the offense runs with him in, and love the pressure he puts on the ball on defense.

I do think he is under-appreciated by some fans because he walked on (which is very silly).

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Love me some Bubu, I would mind if he started but it doesn't really matter as long as he at least gets 20-25 minutes.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
Love me some Bubu, I would mind if he started but it doesn't really matter as long as he at least gets 20-25 minutes.

Bubu brings that nrg to the team. a spark like mcgee. I think allen would be a good pg but he takes to many wild shots so for now that makes bubu a better pg. Although I wish he could get his ft to 85% like dg was last year. He missed a few to many down the stretch last night that let Ia get just a little to close.

+1 on the love though.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think Bubu still struggles with consistency, and if he plays a slow team like Iowa he looks great, but IMO he struggles a bit when a team can match his athletic ability.

Bubu makes better decisions than our other points. That is a simple fact. Allen has a lot of skill and athletic ability but he's not a great decision maker. Scotty is limited by his skill set. I agree that the offense just appears to flow better when Bubu is on the floor. He deserved his minutes yesterday and he's going to help the team the next few years.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
I think Bubu still struggles with consistency, and if he plays a slow team like Iowa he looks great, but IMO he struggles a bit when a team can match his athletic ability.

Bubu makes better decisions than our other points. That is a simple fact. Allen has a lot of skill and athletic ability but he's not a great decision maker. Scotty is limited by his skill set. I agree that the offense just appears to flow better when Bubu is on the floor. He deserved his minutes yesterday and he's going to help the team the next few years.

SC looked soooooo much better last night not in the point. I dont know if he can dunk but that white boy can at least float in the air. Aside from white he is the best slasher which is ridiculous.

Ejim Look better in the 4 spot than than a 2-3 spot.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Love Bubu but did you watch him on defense the last 7 minutes of the game last night? IMHO that is why he is not starting.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
He has a lot of experence starting infront of him and that is worth a lot. He has played well but at times he has issues finding a shooter. He also didnt handle Iowa's pressure very well. He is learning and will get better. He has made a huge jump from where he was last year. For some players starting on the bench and seeing the flow of the game is better for them. He also plays so hard when he is on the court, that playing a lot of mins may hurt his game. He really struggled in the last 5 mins of the game last night.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've been saying all season the offense runs better with Bubu in the game and I hope after tonight at the very least we are seeing him in the game more off the bench if not even consider him as our starting PG at some point. The team plays more energized when he is on the floor and he's the 1 guy on the team that seems to be able to dribble penetrate the defense and make something happen. On top of that he plays tough on-ball defense and when you pair McGee with him too those 2 guys are flying all over the floor on defense it seems like.

Time to give Bubu the credit he deserves, everyone keeps talking about how we need a PG, we have one in Palo!

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
I think he's a good backup, and getting better. He could turn into a starter at some point in his career. He's not a consistent enough scoring threat right now I don't think. He's also sometimes slow in running half court sets and getting the ball moving. To be sure, he's not the only one who has this problem. But you asked for reasons.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Bubu is pretty much the only player with the PG instinct. Allen, McGee, etc, are capable ball-handlers, but don't have the instinct.

Bubu is as Hoiberg put it "rock solid". He's not an all-conf. player, but he's not a liability either. Typically plays great defense (top 3 of our guards) is a solid ball handler and distributor, and scores enough to keep his defenders honest. He also makes good decisions about when to try to score - and is shooting at a high % because of it. Best part is, he plays HARD - don't have to worry about effort w/ him.

If he was slow on D at the end of the game, its probably because he's not used to playing 30 mins a game.

Last edited:

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
In the case that Naz Long or Sledge aren't yet ready to man the PG duties next year, Bubu will be a fantastic back-up to Korie Lucious next year.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
He has a lot of experence starting infront of him and that is worth a lot. He has played well but at times he has issues finding a shooter. He also didnt handle Iowa's pressure very well. He is learning and will get better. He has made a huge jump from where he was last year. For some players starting on the bench and seeing the flow of the game is better for them. He also plays so hard when he is on the court, that playing a lot of mins may hurt his game. He really struggled in the last 5 mins of the game last night.
??? He handled Iowa's pressure better than anyone else on our team. What point guard finds the open man every time? The more time he gets, the more film Hoiberg can review with him to improve his decision making.

I don't know if he has the mentality to be able to start for this team, but he should be considered for it. Not only are we better offensively when he's in there, but his on the ball pressure kicks up our defense a notch as well.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

If you want a direct answer ask Fred.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
I was sitting where I could see Bubu's mom. Him missing free throws down the stretch was killing her.