Any Teachers Out There?

timappelgate

Apr 9, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I just switched my major to History Education and I am pumped! Can any of you tell me your favorite or least favorite parts about teaching?

SciClone

Mar 30, 2006
Marion, IA
I just switched my major to History Education and I am pumped! Can any of you tell me your favorite or least favorite parts about teaching?

Best Parts - being an influential part of your students' lives, helping them earn college credit, seeing the lightbulb go on when you help a struggling student understand something complex

Worst Parts - paperwork and adapting to the continually changing government regulations as politicians ideas change about what the best educational practices are

BSTNST8

Jul 15, 2011
Best Parts - being an influential part of your students' lives, helping them earn college credit, seeing the lightbulb go on when you help a struggling student understand something complex

Worst Parts - paperwork and adapting to the continually changing government regulations as politicians ideas change about what the best educational practices are

I agree. It wasn't the hours or the students that concerned me the most, it was the lack of support from the administration and the parents and the mounds of paperwork that come from the state and federal government. It is always something new and with it comes extra work. Wouldn't be so bad if it had relevance to the classroom but many times its busy work to justify what you are doing and to show off to the visitors from the state department when they come around for their visits.

The summer off is okay, but with school getting out later and starting earlier it makes it hard for some to get a job during the summer to supplement income. Unless you have two bread winners in the family, it will be necessary.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Building politics and pettiness. You're confined to a single room for the majority of your day and you're on 100% of the time you have kids. It's considerably more taxing than most people realize.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
working with students = awesome
working with parents = insanity

the students still make it worth it all

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009

This is why I would never teach anything lower than college. If the students *****, you can tell them to grow up because they're in college now. If the parents *****, you can tell them to get ****ed because their kids are adults now.

Reactions: ISUKyro

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
The continual paperwork you have to fill out, dealing with administrators and the ever changing ideas of the government, unmotivated students and their unmotivated parents are just a few of the drawbacks. Helping students grow and learn, making a difference in a student's life, having time off for summer and doing some coaching are the positives I enjoy.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006

Hardest subject to get a job in...You might try getting a special ed endorsement as well so you can get a foot in the door.

CloneFan03

Mar 18, 2008
Cedar Falls, IA
Agree with many of the posts, especially about the involvement of the government. Best thing that could happen is to close the Dept of Education and let schools go back to teaching kids instead of worrying about complying with the requirements and paperwork put in place by some suit that has never been a teacher or who hasn't been in a classroom in 20 years.

Take what you learn in your Edu classes with a grain of salt as well. Things sound great on paper, but the only way you are going to really learn how to be an effective teacher is to get in a school and see what it's really like.

SciClone

Mar 30, 2006
Marion, IA

In my situation, I have to disagree. There is outstanding parental support at the school where I teach. Having parents on your side really helps students get back in line when they start to stray.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
In my situation, I have to disagree. There is outstanding parental support at the school where I teach. Having parents on your side really helps students get back in line when they start to stray.

Don't get me wrong I have a few great parents. But I have about 15% or so that make the job very very difficult.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
The best is getting your kids excited about learning and being an influential part of their lives.

The worst are... Dealing with parents, ineffective administrators, lazy kids, and a low national perception of teachers.

A rewarding profession if you are willing to put in the thought, time, and effort. Some get into it because they percieve it is easy. Just like any job, it is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Reactions: iahawkhunter

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010

Favorite: watching the kids mature/grow up and think critically/examine things as they progress.

Least favorite: Bureaucracy and all of the **** being slung all the time. Also, inconsistencies in the schools.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
This is why I would never teach anything lower than college. If the students *****, you can tell them to grow up because they're in college now. If the parents *****, you can tell them to get ****ed because their kids are adults now.
This.

I've only taught in college. My biggest advantage is that I have practical experience in my field, which allows me to relate the subject at an appropriate level with my students.

Help Support Us

Become a patron