What is everyone gonna do in NYC

CyDaMan

Nov 12, 2011
Ok, I understand everyone will go to the game but we are flying out on the 25th and coming back the 31st. We looked in to going to David Letterman, but have to jump through to many loop holes to get tickets. We also looked into going to a play(go ahead give me ****) but they are all sold out. Its a given to see the Statue of Liberty and MSG, but does anyone have anyother ideas on stuff to do that can really make the expirence that much better? Open for ideas...thanks!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I am excited to hear if anyone has any ideas. I want to see the Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Plaza. Central Park, Broadway, Times Square. I think a Circle Line boat tour would be good. Would like to see Ground Zero and the Empire State building. Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

I am very curious about what people have planned for new years eve. I will be traveling with 3 other people ranging in age from 27 to 62. So we aren't going to do a bar. And we have no desire to wait 8 hours on Times Square. And would prefer not to break the bank. That's going to be tough. There is a New York Philharmonic Concert at Lincoln Center. It appears there might be tickets available still at fairly reasonable prices. That sounds like fun and unique to me. Also there is some church 'concert of peace'. Sounds less fun, but still unique. Chuck Berry is at the BB King Restuarant as well.

BTYamsac

Aug 21, 2011
First on your list has to be "Ground Zero". This is hallowed ground that could be a once in a lifetime chance. My daughter is going there next year. I'd hit the Statue of Liberty and the New York Stock Exchange if you can.
What about hitting Madison Square Garden? Some of the greatest EVER sporting events have been performed there. You will already be in Yankee Stadium. (Even though it's "the" fake Yankee Stadium. If you could hit a Broadway show. That would be awsome.
If you could leave the older folks at the hotel, I sure would hit Times Square for New Years Eve. New York City is the mecca of life. Live it to the fullest my friend!

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Looked into Ground Zero and you have to reserve passes. Our passes are on the 31st at 6:30. That day looked like the only available. Don't know if that's tours or just to go in. It was also free, but can give a donation. Also probably going to Central Park on route to the Yankee Stadium.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Looked into Ground Zero and you have to reserve passes. Our passes are on the 31st at 6:30. That day looked like the only available. Don't know if that's tours or just to go in. It was also free, but can give a donation. Also probably going to Central Park on route to the Yankee Stadium.

We are planning on going to the 9/11 Memorial and unfortunately all of the reservations to the museum were gone during our trip. Still going, just won't get into the "tour".

Never been to NYC before but we are also planning on Central Park, FAO Schwarz, Time's Square, MSG(No basketball or hockey scheduled), Top of the Rock and skating, Empire State Building, Staten Island Ferry, Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Brooklyn Bridge, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Wall St., and Battery Park. Are we crazy thinking we can do all of this??? Going to be busy that's for sure. Would really like to do the Circle Cruise all the way around the island but don't know if we can afford 3 hours for it. Anyone say if it's a MUST???

hoelsch44

Oct 28, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If anyone is into rock/blues rock/jam style music, Gov't Mule is doing shows both the 30th at 8pm (maybe could make that still?) and on the 31st at 9pm. It's at the Beacon Theatre (just a few miles from Yankee stadium) and their NYE concerts are always a big deal, lots of guests, covers, etc. Often even released as albums.

Don't think I can get it all together to make it out there, but seeing both ISU and the Mule in one trip would be 2 of my favorite things besides the all other NYC items

dugans79

Nov 28, 2011
TKTS - Discount Broadway Tickets Booth

At the link is information about how to get half price tickets to Broadway shows. Looks like you can get them online now, but one of the locations is South Street Seaport, kind of touristy, but on lower Manhattan near the Brooklyn Bridge, some here may want to check out (use Google).

Never went on it but I've heard the Circle Line tour is great, and there is a great view from the top of the Empire State Building in midtown.

MSG I'm not sure I get the attraction, though I saw a Knicks game there once.

Some things are obvious, like Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Central Park.

There is a lot of history there, like Wall Street, which isn't very long, used to actually be a wall for protection, Alexander Hamilton is buried near one end at an old church, George Washington was sworn in on Wall Street as president at the old Federal hall. PBS did a multi-show documentary on NYC history that is probably axailable in the library, produced by Rick Burns (Ken Burns' brother).

I won't be there but just putting some ideas out there.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We are planning on going to the 9/11 Memorial and unfortunately all of the reservations to the museum were gone during our trip. Still going, just won't get into the "tour".

Never been to NYC before but we are also planning on Central Park, FAO Schwarz, Time's Square, MSG(No basketball or hockey scheduled), Top of the Rock and skating, Empire State Building, Staten Island Ferry, Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Brooklyn Bridge, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Wall St., and Battery Park. Are we crazy thinking we can do all of this??? Going to be busy that's for sure. Would really like to do the Circle Cruise all the way around the island but don't know if we can afford 3 hours for it. Anyone say if it's a MUST???

Check out the church near Ground Zero that survived and was used as a resting place for emergency workers 24/7.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If anyone is into rock/blues rock/jam style music, Gov't Mule is doing shows both the 30th at 8pm (maybe could make that still?) and on the 31st at 9pm. It's at the Beacon Theatre (just a few miles from Yankee stadium) and their NYE concerts are always a big deal, lots of guests, covers, etc. Often even released as albums.

Don't think I can get it all together to make it out there, but seeing both ISU and the Mule in one trip would be 2 of my favorite things besides the all other NYC items

T E R R A B L U E S in Greenwich Village for great blues. Played until 3:30am the last time I went (on a Thursday night!).

The Blue Note for great jazz.

RUNYYFan

Dec 5, 2011
Dayton, NJ
www.marckollar.com
First on your list has to be "Ground Zero". This is hallowed ground that could be a once in a lifetime chance. My daughter is going there next year. I'd hit the Statue of Liberty and the New York Stock Exchange if you can.
What about hitting Madison Square Garden? Some of the greatest EVER sporting events have been performed there. You will already be in Yankee Stadium. (Even though it's "the" fake Yankee Stadium. If you could hit a Broadway show. That would be awsome.
If you could leave the older folks at the hotel, I sure would hit Times Square for New Years Eve. New York City is the mecca of life. Live it to the fullest my friend!

Just a couple of thoughts...

The Statue of Liberty is always a great location. If you can get over to Liberty State Park here on the Jersey side of the Hudson you will get some tremendous views of the Manhattan skyline, especially the on-going build of the Freedom Tower. Also, you can get some great views of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

MSG has just undergone a massive renovation. As such the "All Access Tour" is currently closed. I'd suggest checking out this site for more information.

For Broadway shows, you may want to check out the TKTS Discount Booths for less expensive tickets. However, keep in mind the tickets sold are for the performance on the day you buy the ticket(s).

Depending on your interests, you may also want to check out the Museum of Natural History, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Rockefeller Christmas Tree will still be up. You may also want to take a walk through St. Patrick's Cathedral. Of course there is always the Empire State Building.

As for Yankee Stadium, if you want to see Monument Park, it is usually open up to a half hour before the start of the game. The vantage point to the field can be quite unique because of how close you are to the end zone. For Yankees fans and those who love history, I would definitely recommend the Yankees Museum which is located inside the Stadium by Gate 6. I do not know if it will be open during the game, but I believe it will be open prior to the game.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just a couple of thoughts...

The Statue of Liberty is always a great location. If you can get over to Liberty State Park here on the Jersey side of the Hudson you will get some tremendous views of the Manhattan skyline, especially the on-going build of the Freedom Tower. Also, you can get some great views of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

MSG has just undergone a massive renovation. As such the "All Access Tour" is currently closed. I'd suggest checking out this site for more information.

For Broadway shows, you may want to check out the TKTS Discount Booths for less expensive tickets. However, keep in mind the tickets sold are for the performance on the day you buy the ticket(s).

Depending on your interests, you may also want to check out the Museum of Natural History, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Rockefeller Christmas Tree will still be up. You may also want to take a walk through St. Patrick's Cathedral. Of course there is always the Empire State Building.

As for Yankee Stadium, if you want to see Monument Park, it is usually open up to a half hour before the start of the game. The vantage point to the field can be quite unique because of how close you are to the end zone. For Yankees fans and those who love history, I would definitely recommend the Yankees Museum which is located inside the Stadium by Gate 6. I do not know if it will be open during the game, but I believe it will be open prior to the game.

How about the New York Public Library? It is wonderful.

RUJohnny99

Dec 5, 2011
Manalapan, NJ
We also looked into going to a play(go ahead give me ****) but they are all sold out.

Most shows set aside tickets for same day performances. There's a TKTS booth at Times Square where you can buy them half price. Although the line looks long, it tends to move quickly. You can usually get shows that have been running a long time (Lion King, Rock of Ages, Chicago, Wicked).

Walking down Fifth Avenue is also nice. All the fancy stores have their windows decked out for Christmas. Don't forget FAO Schwartz (worlds largest toy store, with the giant piano from Big). Also, if you get a chance, go to Chinatown (Canal Street) & buy some fake stuff or bootleg DVDs. If you're adventurous, go to a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown with the ducks hanging in the window & order off a menu with no English in it.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
If you want to see the statue of liberty without taking the expensive tour boat, just take the staten island ferry (it's free) to and back from Staten island.

As for lettermen, when my brother was visiting we got offered tickets by someone from the show while we were walking around TKTS in time square. It was a good time.

KnightSweats

Dec 5, 2011
NJ
I live 45 minutes from the City, and other than the Rutgers/Army game, I haven't been there in a couple of years. There are some great ideas here. If you go to any of the museums (especially the Museum of Natural History), be prepared to leave with the feeling that you would need a year to see it all. Also, if you do go there, check out the IMAX theatre or the Planetarium show.

The Planetarium really should not be missed if you can only choose one. Word to the wise: Buy tickets to the Planetarium show immediately when you get to the museum. The shows sell out quickly!!

(The giant sphere IS the Planetarium's theatre!!!)

hayden_planetarium-01.jpg

Last edited:

CoachKM

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
Some things are obvious, like Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Central Park.

There is a lot of history there, like Wall Street, which isn't very long, used to actually be a wall for protection, Alexander Hamilton is buried near one end at an old church, George Washington was sworn in on Wall Street as president at the old Federal hall. PBS did a multi-show documentary on NYC history that is probably axailable in the library, produced by Rick Burns (Ken Burns' brother).

I won't be there but just putting some ideas out there.[/QUOTE]

The one time I visited NYC, a few summers ago, Wall Street was maybe my favorite part....many fantastic churches with historical graveyards and architecture are usually open to walk through. Pretty neat to see graves of Revolutionary War era Patriots.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
My one trip to NYC in 2006. I did get tickets to Letterman and it was great. I don't think they tape during the holidays, though you should check it out to be sure. They tape around 4:30 on T, W, and Th and two shows are taped on Monday, early taping is shown Monday night, later taping (around 6:00) is held and shown on Friday. I was in class until 5:00 so fortunately was able to make the 2nd taping on Monday, then when I got home later in the week I was able to record it. I'm a big Beatles fan so being in the same theater as their Ed Sullivan Show appearances was cool to me.

Circle line tour was worth it. Ground Zero, Wall Street.

Went to Chinatown and had the Duck. Did NOT like. Duck is greasy.

Also had to check out the Dakota apartments where J&Y lived pictured on several of their record covers and Strawberry Fields in Central Park. Not to mention the Plaza Hotel (I think it is no longer a hotel, was told it was converted to condos.)

I also walked through the Ritz hotel lobby and Grand Central Station.

Just walking around NYC you see SO MANY sights you recognize from TV and movies it sorta blows your mind.