Gameday Virgin

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
I need some advice as I haven't been to a game since graduating in 91. I bought an 11 dollar ticket and a $500 gas bill to drive from Virginia for this game at the last second and need to know:
- do I just drive up and pay for parking?
- will it most likely be in the lots across the street from the stadium, any chance to be closer?
- I don't want to mooch but didn't prepare well and don't have a cooler etc for tailgating. What do I need to bring vs what will be available, well to mooch?
- ended up in ankeny, what is the police presence expected on the way home? I don't want a Pinkel experience on the way home.
- Is there any other advice CF could give?

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
I need some advice as I haven't been to a game since graduating in 91. I bought an 11 dollar ticket and a $500 gas bill to drive from Virginia for this game at the last second and need to know:
Yes you can. I think the going rate is $20 a car near the stadium.

- will it most likely be in the lots across the street from the stadium, any chance to be closer??
There is some street parking that is kinda close but I wouldn't count on it if I was you. Street parking that is a farther walk would be doable.

- I don't want to mooch but didn't prepare well and don't have a cooler etc for tailgating. What do I need to bring vs what will be available, well to mooch??
Are you a chick? If not(or if ugly...just kidding...kinda) you may get lucky but I'm not the type to mooch so I have no advice for you on that.

- ended up in ankeny, what is the police presence expected on the way home? I don't want a Pinkel experience on the way home.?
Don't drink and drive! That said, as long as you aren't stupid you should be fine.

Get there early and be loud!

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
- will it most likely be in the lots across the street from the stadium, any chance to be closer?
- I don't want to mooch but didn't prepare well and don't have a cooler etc for tailgating. What do I need to bring vs what will be available, well to mooch?
- ended up in ankeny, what is the police presence expected on the way home? I don't want a Pinkel experience on the way home.

How about you don't drink and drive? If you want to kill yourself now, go ahead, but if you're going to put me and my family at risk, just stay home.

Reactions: cyclone13

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Ok, first off: don't drink and drive. Besides the fact that you could kill someone, it's just not worth it to lose your license/deal with the rest of the fallout so that you can be buzzed during the game.

That said, there will be cops out. I make the drive after every game I'd say that I encounter cops 75% of the time on the interstate and 95% of the time taking the back roads (it's like winning the lottery for the small towns).

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ok, first off: don't drink and drive. Besides the fact that you could kill someone, it's just not worth it to lose your license/deal with the rest of the fallout so that you can be buzzed during the game.

That said, there will be cops out. I make the drive after every game I'd say that I encounter cops 75% of the time on the interstate and 95% of the time taking the back roads (it's like winning the lottery for the small towns).

Not to mention, if you are swerving in and out of your lane, everyone with a cell phone might as well be a cop. If you want to enjoy the game with a buzz, bring a driver.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
- do I just drive up and pay for parking? YES
- will it most likely be in the lots across the street from the stadium, any chance to be closer? There are public lots along S 16th street. When you exit on to University (what Elwood is now called) you'll want to hang a right on 16th, and then an immediate right into the lots.
- I don't want to mooch but didn't prepare well and don't have a cooler etc for tailgating. What do I need to bring vs what will be available, well to mooch? Most people will share, but just bring some beer and food. Don't expect a hand out, and you'll probably get one.
- ended up in ankeny, what is the police presence expected on the way home? I don't want a Pinkel experience on the way home. Quit drinking before kick off and you should be fine after the game. If you're still drunk, bring a sleeping a bag and take a nap in your vehicle until you're able to drive back to Ankeny. You won't get pulled over randomly, but if the alcohol has effected you to the point you're breaking traffic laws, you'll get pulled over.
- Is there any other advice CF could give? Dangerous Curves, if you're single.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

Stop by the CyBeast in the NW Corner of D3 for some tailgating. We'll be there at 10AM this morning!

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Don't drive through Huxley on your way back to Ankeny. Take the interstate.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
Thanks for the info, and no we won't be taking risks with our anyone else's safety, just good to know what we are dealing with wether we have had one or more. Got a room this morning at end of 16th by the interstate so it is much more manageable.
Another question, can you carry around an open container or a cooler within the public lots and/or between them and the stadium lots?
Thanks for the help CF Nation.

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
Thanks for the info, and no we won't be taking risks with our anyone else's safety, just good to know what we are dealing with wether we have had one or more. Got a room this morning at end of 16th by the interstate so it is much more manageable.
Another question, can you carry around an open container or a cooler within the public lots and/or between them and the stadium lots?

good choice on the hotel change and yes you can carry around open containers and a cooler

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009

Open container? Just finish it and open another when you get the next lot! ;)

But a cooler is no problem.

I'm going to be cutting it close tonight, so I won't be able to tailgate, otherwise you'd be welcome.

If you don't get enough viable offers today, just make up a placard:

"Spent beer money on gas from Virginia for 1st game in 20 years. Can U spare an extra?"

I have no doubt you'll find a friend. I have to say, that I can't remember the last time I went to a game and wasn't offered fellowship at least once on my way through the lots.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Beware that the public lots near Hilton and Scheman are currently occupied by All-State Music Festival participants. They even have some of the grass spots taken. I assume that these will open up by game time, but they are pretty full right now and some tailgaters may be in for a surprise when they get there.