BCS proposes radical changes

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Unless it results in a playoff system, it will still be a bad system. The ideas being described (outside of the brief mention of a playoff option) all seem to be worse than what we have now in my opinion.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Unless it results in a playoff system, it will still be a bad system. The ideas being described (outside of the brief mention of a playoff option) all seem to be worse than what we have now in my opinion.

Screw a playoff. If there was a playoff system in place then tonights ISU/OSU game wouldn't matter because OSU could lose and still make the playoffs and win a NC. As it stands now if they don't win tonight they are out of the NC picture. The current system makes every game count!!!!

Jan 30, 2011
This seems like a way to squeeze out the small schools. The other bowls will want marquee matchups, which more often than not is the big schools. It won't matter if ISU wins the big 12, Texas or Oklahoma will always get picked before us. They get rid of the Non-AQ bid, and the Big East Bid, this will mostly benefit the Big Ten and SEC.

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
Screw a playoff. If there was a playoff system in place then tonights ISU/OSU game wouldn't matter because OSU could lose and still make the playoffs and win a NC. As it stands now if they don't win tonight they are out of the NC picture. The current system makes every game count!!!!

Never really thought about it like that. But, If Okie St loses a game, you have Oregon, Okie St, Bama all with one loss. A computer system will pick the most "deserving" team.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
How many other sports do you know that tell half of their participants that no matter how well you do you will never even get a chance to be #1. Great system!

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
NCAA football postseason is the worst system EVER! The only sport that does not determine a true champion.

They are the only sport which has a champion of the entire season, not just a post season tournament. They are the only sport in which the champion can claim they were the best team that season.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames

They could be playing for a 1st round bye...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Do you think OSU is a lock for top 4 if we beat them? They aren't, if the loss comes to ISU instead of Oklahoma they are likely out.

4 out of 120 or 8 out of 120 means every game still matters. Even 16 out of 120 means every game matters.

It's not the NBA where 16 out of 30 make the playoffs.

32 playoff teams out of 120 would be the playoff format where you start to get a few games that really don't matter other than seeding.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
How many other sports do you know that tell half of their participants that no matter how well you do you will never even get a chance to be #1. Great system!

This is non-sense. Boise State, TCU and Utah (previously) have all been on the cusp of making the NC game. Are non-BCS teams ever going to leap an undefeated team from a BCS league.....No. But if Boise State had gone undefeated and Okie State, Standford, Oregon, Bama, etc all had one loss, there is a very good chance that they could have made the game.

Would this year's Boise State team be able to make it through a 16 or 32 team playoff? I seriously doubt it.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I don't care about who's National Champion, because honestly, I don't ever see ISU being in position to be the NC. So I like the idea of us being able to get to a bowl game. This system we have now, is the only way Iowa State ever gets to play post season ball. If they could do it like the BBall tournament, then maybe I'm Ok with it, but still probably not. I'm a big traditionalist when it comes to college sports and I like the idea of schools being able to play for a Bowl game. It opens the door and exposure for more teams that just are never going to get a shot at the NC.

Think it's hard to recruit to Ames right now, wait until going to a Bowl game is never an option.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The BCS has provided some absolutely great title games since its creation. I would rather have this system than a system like the NCAA tournament where Butler and Uconn, a .500 conference team, can end up playing for the title.

I'm all for a plus one scenario but nothing beyond that.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Boise, Utah, and TCU have all gone undefeated before. No NC! Not even a shot. There was tons of talk this year that if Boise was the lone undefeated that they still would have been passed over for the NC game. It is just a horrible horrible system!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is non-sense. Boise State, TCU and Utah (previously) have all been on the cusp of making the NC game. Are non-BCS teams ever going to leap an undefeated team from a BCS league.....No. But if Boise State had gone undefeated and Okie State, Standford, Oregon, Bama, etc all had one loss, there is a very good chance that they could have made the game.

Would this year's Boise State team be able to make it through a 16 or 32 team playoff? I seriously doubt it.

Utah had the second most dominant statistical season in college football history and didn't get in, I think they were only 4th, then won their BCS game by 20+ if I remember correctly.

Half of the FBS teams have no realistic shot at a NC.

Open it to at least a 4 or 8 team playoff to give them a chance. Even a team with a weak schedule like Houston (BSU's schedule is more like a BCS school), if they were to win 3 playoff games against top ten teams, they're the true champ.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
So why do the "mid major" schools even compete in the FBS? What is point?

To make enough money to support the rest of their athletic departments. Do you think schools like Western Kentucky really try to move up with hopes of winning a national title?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So why do the "mid major" schools even compete in the FBS? What is point?

Some of them just seem to want to compete in their conference and think it's best for their fans and overall athletic department.

A handful of them really are trying to compete for a National Championship in spite of a system rigged against them. A few of the teams that were truly striving for that have now moved into BCS conferences, but I have no doubt others will surface again as long as we have the "in and out" system we do now.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
this change pretty much guarantees the SEC that other "BCS" spot they wanted and further locks out the non BCS conference members (BSU, etc). It would be a money grab, like everything else.