Big 12 MBB and WBB tournaments to split up

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Awful decision. Having both events in the same place was a large part of the fun.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Thanks a lot Mizzou you POS school.

No, thanks a lot to the idiots that think we need to pull out of KC because missouri left. KU and KSU both have shorter drives than MU to the sprint center (check it on google maps) and KC remains the closest option for ISU (and im guessing would be the best option for WVU as well)

We dont need to pull out of KC because we lost Mizzou any more than we need to pull out of Houston\Dallas because we lost A&M.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Agreed that this is a terrible decision. Just flat out awful.

Also interested in the quote about the future of the men's tourney at Sprint Center. The article says that it isn't up to the league. Umm, if the Big 12 doesn't get to decide where they play their tourney, who does?

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
This has less to do with KC/Mizzou and more to do with the southern women's coaches. They felt it was unfair to be in KC every year. And as odd as it sounds, they argue the majority of fans don't go to both tournaments. Which is true to an extent for every school BUT Iowa State.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
It was to be in KC every year (at least for the forseeable future) as a tradeoff for having the Big 12 Football Championship in Dallas. Of course that was short-lived.

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010
Although I would love to have the tournaments in Kansas City I don't blame the Big 12 from moving the tournament out of Kansas City, MISSOURI. If the arena was on the Kansas side of the state it wouldn't be an issue. There are a lot of tax dollars that are spent in the host City/STATE that moving it to a STATE that supports the conference is not a bad decision.

I do think that both tournaments need to be together after 2014.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I would like to see one of the Bball tournaments in Louisville - I wonder how the Big 12 could accomplish that...

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
"...a combination of using an outdated facility, poor attendance and a lack of local media coverage compared to the men's tournament." Out dated facility - true, but, if they are going to stagger the tournaments, the women's tournament could be held in the Sprint Center, the same facility as the men. As for media coverage, I can't say. KC always seemed to get behind the Clones. OKC got a boost when the WBB tournament was held there because Paris was at OU and they played in the championship round. You're going to sell seats and get more local media when you have a local team playing well.

Conference alignment issues become real when you factor in tournaments where travel disparities hit home. You can probably get to OKC from Morgantown, but, it ain't cheap. Factor in that the next week, half of our teams usually head off to NCAA and that's a big hit on the fan budget. Some north-south rotation should be a reasonable endpoint.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
Although I would love to have the tournaments in Kansas City I don't blame the Big 12 from moving the tournament out of Kansas City, MISSOURI. If the arena was on the Kansas side of the state it wouldn't be an issue. There are a lot of tax dollars that are spent in the host City/STATE that moving it to a STATE that supports the conference is not a bad decision.

I do think that both tournaments need to be together after 2014.

That's silly...alarson is right. Why spite your own fans (by making them travel further) just because a public university in the same state decided to leave the conference? It's not (just) Kansas City's decision.

If you want to punish Missouri, adopt the old Norm Stewart strategy: While traveling to road games in Lawrence, Norm used to insist that the team stay in in a hotel in KCMO, eat before they left the hotel, and fill up the team bus with gas before they crossed the border. All so that they "wouldn't spend one dime" supporting the state of Kansas.

If you feel that strongly, go to the tourneys, but stay on the KS side of the border.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
That's silly...alarson is right. Why spite your own fans (by making them travel further) just because a public university in the same state decided to leave the conference? It's not (just) Kansas City's decision.

If you want to punish Missouri, adopt the old Norm Stewart strategy: While traveling to road games in Lawrence, Norm used to insist that the team stay in in a hotel in KCMO, eat before they left the hotel, and fill up the team bus with gas before they crossed the border. All so that they "wouldn't spend one dime" supporting the state of Kansas.

If you feel that strongly, go to the tourneys, but stay on the KS side of the border.

and the advertisement dollars? or the rent for the facility that the games are played in? Nope. Move the whole thing out of MO. If KC wants to get mad about it, they can call up MU and ask that the SEC move their conf. tourney there.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
and the advertisement dollars? or the rent for the facility that the games are played in? Nope. Move the whole thing out of MO. If KC wants to get mad about it, they can call up MU and ask that the SEC move their conf. tourney there.

When did KC ever support the move to the SEC? As far as i can remember KC officials were all telling Mizzou they shouldnt leave. Its not like the city of kansas city has any power over the missouri board of curators.

****, maybe we should kick KU out of the conference since everyone flying in there will have to spend money flying into the KC airport in missouri (omg!)

Last edited:

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010

I don't personally care if it is in Missouri I would still go to the tournament, but the article itself says the tournaments could be moved out of Missouri because it is an SEC state now and I would understand that decision.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
No, thanks a lot to the idiots that think we need to pull out of KC because missouri left. KU and KSU both have shorter drives than MU to the sprint center (check it on google maps) and KC remains the closest option for ISU (and im guessing would be the best option for WVU as well)

We dont need to pull out of KC because we lost Mizzou any more than we need to pull out of Houston\Dallas because we lost A&M.

Maybe not for that reason, but rather perhaps because the women's tourney attendance has been struggling in KC for the past few years. See attendance figures in the article below...

Ranking the potential host cities for the Big 12 basketball tournaments | NewsOK.com

Something happened in KC between 2004 and 2005. OKC has better numbers. If the tourney can pull significantly better numbers in OKC than in KC, than the move is a no brainer.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Something happened in KC between 2004 and 2005. OKC has better numbers. If the tourney can pull significantly better numbers in OKC than in KC, than the move is a no brainer.

It has to do with who's good in any particular year. For the most part, 3 of the top 4 seeds have been southern teams lately.

No coincidence that the most highly-attended championship game was #2 Oklahoma against #5 Iowa State in Oklahoma City.

Top 4 seeds
2004 (KC) - UT, KSU, CU, Tech
2005 (KC) - BU, UT, KSU, Tech (ISU 5th)
2006 (DAL) - OU, BU, A&M, MU
2007 (OKC) - A&M, OU, BU, NU (ISU 5th)
2008 (KC) - KSU, BU, OSU, A&M
2009 (OKC) - OU, BU, ISU, A&M
2010 (KC) - NU, ISU, OU, A&M
2011 (KC) - BU, A&M, OU, KSU (ISU 5th)