NBA: Players Say No Deal

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
NBA lockout -- Players will not accept deal, will seek to disband, Billy Hunter says - ESPN

I highly doubt we have a NBA season this year after this. It is so sickening that the players can't see how much damage this is doing to their league. They already are the biggest overpaid babies of any professional sport and losing this season is going to kill all the momentum they gained from an exciting playoffs that got some of the NBA fans back in the fold. The players that are really getting hurt are the guys that make the minimum and are fighting to make a roster most years. Guys like Kobe and LeBron make more money in endorsements than they do playing the game but the lesser players that don't get the lucrative endorsements are the ones getting screwed over by their overpaid peers right now.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
NBA lockout -- Players will not accept deal, will seek to disband, Billy Hunter says - ESPN

I highly doubt we have a NBA season this year after this. It is so sickening that the owners can't see how much damage this is doing to their league.

As equally true of a statement. Are the players greedy and forcing a lot of teams into near-bankruptcy in the process? Yeah, but the owners are the ones that freely gave these players far more money than any of them are worth and now, after the fact, are asking the players to save them from themselves, existing contracts be damned. I feel no pity for anyone involved with the NBA, just like I felt no pity for anyone in the NFL. I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for any entity that can't figure out how to split billions of dollars without blowing up the league, so right now I'm cheering for the league to get blown up. Tell you what - I'm certainly not missing the NBA right now...

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Thank you Jesus.

The longer there is no NBA, the better off the world is.

Amen to that! Who cares if these idiots play basketball this year or not?

I hope the NBA goes away for several years in fact. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Thank you Jesus.

The longer there is no NBA, the better off the world is.

I used to love the NBA. The Jazz always trying to knock off the bulls. MJ vs Reggie Miller. I loved it. But I could give a **** less anymore. Never got back into baseball after their strike in the early 90's. And quickly losing interest in the NFL. Too much drama in pro sports. ESPN and the media are trying their hardest to ruin college sports also.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I read somewhere that the league is offering about $2 million extra on all salaries. If they can't agree with that kind of money being offered, they are all idiots who don't deserve a cent from the NBA or anywhere else. Let the league die.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I used to love the NBA. The Jazz always trying to knock off the bulls. MJ vs Reggie Miller. I loved it. But I could give a **** less anymore. Never got back into baseball after their strike in the early 90's. And quickly losing interest in the NFL. Too much drama in pro sports. ESPN and the media are trying their hardest to ruin college sports also.

This. The NBA used to be so much fun to watch. When I was growing up, you had the Lakers vs. Celtics in the 80's and then Jordan in the early to mid 90's, taking on the Pistons, Knicks, Jazz and Pacers...and a terrific Finals vs the Barkley led Suns.

Now it sucks. Sit out for the year guys, no one will miss you

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
When most people are worried about making ends meet......kind of hard to get concerned about a millionare vs. billionare p******* match. Plus, all the players who would normally opt out early are staying put which will make for some very exciting college hoops. A win-win if you ask me.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
This. The NBA used to be so much fun to watch. When I was growing up, you had the Lakers vs. Celtics in the 80's and then Jordan in the early to mid 90's, taking on the Pistons, Knicks, Jazz and Pacers...and a terrific Finals vs the Barkley led Suns.

Now it sucks. Sit out for the year guys, no one will miss you
I will because I like high quality basketball. Your opinion on it has more to do with you than it does with the NBA. Last season was pretty damn good.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Probably one of the biggest NBA fans on this board and even I say good riddance. While I do miss watching D-Rose school fools on the court the bigger picture is that most of the players in the NBA have way too big ego's and guess what, WE CAN LIVE WITHOUT YOU!

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
The culture has changed. The product on the floor is at an all-time high.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
As equally true of a statement. Are the players greedy and forcing a lot of teams into near-bankruptcy in the process? Yeah, but the owners are the ones that freely gave these players far more money than any of them are worth and now, after the fact, are asking the players to save them from themselves, existing contracts be damned. I feel no pity for anyone involved with the NBA, just like I felt no pity for anyone in the NFL. I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for any entity that can't figure out how to split billions of dollars without blowing up the league, so right now I'm cheering for the league to get blown up. Tell you what - I'm certainly not missing the NBA right now...

I understand this but based on the salary cap rules owners don't have much choice either when your star player gets offered a max contract elsewhere and your only option is either to resign him for the max (which a player can sign a bigger deal if he stays with his team) or lose him and all the season ticket sales ans sponsorship money you will lose when your star player leaves. It's a double edged sword, they don't have to give players the money but as long as some team can offer more under the CBA rules you are basically forced into it when another team ups your offer.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Another thing, NBA contracts are guaranteed where NFL contracts aren't. At least in the NFL if a player is not performing you can cut him and 100% of his salary does not count against your cap where in the NBA it does unless some team claims that contract off waivers which rarely happens.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
When most people are worried about making ends meet......kind of hard to get concerned about a millionare vs. billionare p******* match. Plus, all the players who would normally opt out early are staying put which will make for some very exciting college hoops. A win-win if you ask me.

I agree with this too. Harrison Barnes is probably not regretting coming back to UNC right now and I've always felt the NBA should up their draft requirements to where a player has to be 2 years removed from HS like the NFL. I think players not only mature but develop better playing the college game instead of sitting on the end of a NBA bench at age 18 or 19. Most of the stars in the NBA are at least mid to late 20's even early 30's with a wife and possibly kids and they really have no desire to hang out with someone fresh out of HS. I think that year or 2 of college really helps that kid mature as a person and at least somewhat prepares them for life in the NBA because at that level no one is treating you as a star until you prove you are one both on and off the court.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
NBA says it could void all existing contracts - CBSSports.com

The players will be sorry that they did not go 50-50.

LeBron may not win a championship.

I don't see that happening, would be complete chaos if everyone was a free agent plus would mean that all the star players could basically find a way to join up on certain teams and make their own "big 3" or more. Both the owners and players know that would not be a good situation, you'd probably have at least 10 top heavy teams and the bottom 10 teams in the league small market teams with not a single star player on the roster which would not be good for those owners financially having nothing to market.