Beating OSU is our best shot at a bowl game

tulsacyfan

Aug 31, 2007
I live in Tulsa and I bleed cardinal and gold but Oklahoma State is the only other Big 12 team that I honestly root for and follow. Like all ISU fans I am rooting for at least one win out of the last three games to become bowl eligible, but it is going to be a tough road. OU will not lose another game at home. The Tech game was just surreal and Stoops will not lose another at home, even without Broyles and Whaley. K State is a really good football team and they will be very tough in Manhattan. They played OSU down to the wire in Stillwater and Snyder is just a football wizard. BCS #2 rating or not, here is why I think OSU presents our best shot for a win and how/why we can beat them:

1. OSU's defense stinks. We can score on OSU - every team this year has scored on them and their D line is awful.

2. OSU's offense is unbelievable and we MUST slow the game down and win the time of possession and field position game. If we can limit their touches and grind out long scoring drives AND make them take a long time to score or get turnovers, we have a chance.

3. We cannot miss field goals. You will never beat OSU with field goals - we need touchdowns. We should not attempt ANYTHING over forty yards in this game and instead opt to pin them deep and let our defense stop them or at least make them take a long time to score.

4. Weather. We are FINALLY getting a southern team at home late in the season. It RARELY happens and this our chance. The last late season home game against a southern team that I remember was Texas in the late 90's. We all need to pray for snow - lots of it and a blizzard would be even better.

5. Two weeks to prepare. OSU will have a tough game this week against Tech. Tech has lost three straight home games and they haven't lost four straight home games in 21 years. OSU will win but it will not be an easy game.

6. OSU will be looking past us to bedlam. It is human nature and they will not take this game seriously. CPR can use this as a motivational tool.

7. Lastly, undefeated and #2 in the BCS or not OSU is still.....OSU. They ALWAYS blow it. Usually it is against OU, but they always manage to blow whatever they have going. Everyone here is talking about it, when is OSU going to blow it.

Call me crazy if you like, but I have followed OSU for fifteen years and we have a shot.

Reactions: Yes13

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I agree this is our best chance, but it's a long shot, a real long shot.

If we lose to OSU at home, get slaughtered at OU, I just don't see us getting back up for that last game at KSU.

But I have found with CPR once you start doubting he will kick you in the balls with an awesome W.

tulsacyfan

Aug 31, 2007

If we lose to OSU at home, get slaughtered at OU, I just don't see us getting back up for that last game at KSU.

But I have found with CPR once you start doubting he will kick you in the balls with an awesome W.

I agree - definitely a longshot. If we can get the weather to cooperate - the nastier the better - our chance to win increases substantially. OSU's passing game will really be hurt by cold, windy weather. Weeden has never played in truly cold, nasty weather at OSU, to my knowledge.

Apr 19, 2006
I live in Tulsa and I bleed cardinal and gold but Oklahoma State is the only other Big 12 team that I honestly root for and follow. Like all ISU fans I am rooting for at least one win out of the last three games to become bowl eligible, but it is going to be a tough road. OU will not lose another game at home. The Tech game was just surreal and Stoops will not lose another at home, even without Broyles and Whaley. K State is a really good football team and they will be very tough in Manhattan. They played OSU down to the wire in Stillwater and Snyder is just a football wizard. BCS #2 rating or not, here is why I think OSU presents our best shot for a win and how/why we can beat them:

1. OSU's defense stinks. We can score on OSU - every team this year has scored on them and their D line is awful.

2. OSU's offense is unbelievable and we MUST slow the game down and win the time of possession and field position game. If we can limit their touches and grind out long scoring drives AND make them take a long time to score or get turnovers, we have a chance.

3. We cannot miss field goals. You will never beat OSU with field goals - we need touchdowns. We should not attempt ANYTHING over forty yards in this game and instead opt to pin them deep and let our defense stop them or at least make them take a long time to score.

4. Weather. We are FINALLY getting a southern team at home late in the season. It RARELY happens and this our chance. The last late season home game against a southern team that I remember was Texas in the late 90's. We all need to pray for snow - lots of it and a blizzard would be even better.

5. Two weeks to prepare. OSU will have a tough game this week against Tech. Tech has lost three straight home games and they haven't lost four straight home games in 21 years. OSU will win but it will not be an easy game.

6. OSU will be looking past us to bedlam. It is human nature and they will not take this game seriously. CPR can use this as a motivational tool.

7. Lastly, undefeated and #2 in the BCS or not OSU is still.....OSU. They ALWAYS blow it. Usually it is against OU, but they always manage to blow whatever they have going. Everyone here is talking about it, when is OSU going to blow it.

Call me crazy if you like, but I have followed OSU for fifteen years and we have a shot.

Fo' Sho' :skeptical:

tulsacyfan

Aug 31, 2007
I watched osu play mizzou and their d line tore mizzou up.

True, just passing along what all the sports commentators down here are saying and that is that the D line is not good. The defense gives up a ton of points, but the offense is so good that they overcome it. KSU put 45 on them - not good.

For the sake of the Big 12 I would like to see OSU get into the championship game, but for the sake of ISU I am sure hoping we beat them.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009

Ouch. Those W's are awful pointy.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Based on pure talent of the depth chart, I'd say this game is right next to Oklahoma - tough t1ts. K-State is where our chance comes, IMO. The talent is comparable and I don't feel like we'll have to score in the forties to have a chance.

Reactions: QuickQuestion

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
i think K-State is still our best chance, dont give us more than a 10% chance, but still better than OSU

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I love that they have a game this week and it will be a short week for them. A little 20 degree weather will slow them down.

tulsacyfan

Aug 31, 2007
i think K-State is still our best chance, dont give us more than a 10% chance, but still better than OSU

I thought the same thing before I watched the game last Saturday night. KSU was one completed pass away from sending that thing into OT. KSU is getting better and better each week. That will not be an easy game.

What a brutal last three games - we will all look back to that Texas game at home as a missed opportunity.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I thought the same thing before I watched the game last Saturday night. KSU was one completed pass away from sending that thing into OT. KSU is getting better and better each week. That will not be an easy game.

What a brutal last three games - we will all look back to that Texas game at home as a missed opportunity.

Really because the week before the Okie State game they got the **** beat out of from Oklahoma...

K-States margin of victory in their wins is not scary... Okie State's is.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
There are a LOT of people not only cheering against us, but actually applying pressure to lay down. If OSU loses the Big 12 is not represented in the National Championship game. Being here in DFW near Big 12 offices and friends w/ a couple of local ESPN radio guys it is awesome to hear the concern over ISU in this game.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
There are a LOT of people not only cheering against us, but actually applying pressure to lay down. If OSU loses the Big 12 is not represented in the National Championship game. Being here in DFW near Big 12 offices and friends w/ a couple of local ESPN radio guys it is awesome to hear the concern over ISU in this game.

HA HA! Are they hearing sirens down there? Is it a CYCLONE WARNING!!!!!

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
60% chance of rain next Friday and temps should be in the upper 30's by kickoff.

I agree that OSU's defense is suspect....but KU's is KNOWN to be horrible and we mustered a whopping 3 points on them in the second half. To win this game it will take a lot of help from OSU in terms of miscues.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

youre-youre-crazy-man-frank-the-tank-demotivational-poster-1219152399.jpg