MLB: Zambrano a Royal?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I can't imagine why anybody would want that moron on their team. He's a proven clubhouse cancer and his best days are behind him.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If Theo and Co. can pull that off, they are already the greatest management group in Cubs history.

I don't care if they trade him for a $20 Best Buy gift card, it's a good deal.
Then we can have a CyBookie on which Royal he has his first altercation with, and an over/under on the date.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
From the article,

"Carlos Zambrano is actually a very pleasant, easy going, classy person off the field. Sometimes, as with all of us the competitiveness takes over and brings out qualities in us that we are not proud of."

How many times have Cubs fan been fed this line of BS and now the Royals are saying it? I really don't care how he is OFF the field. I care that he's a maniac ON the field.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I would consider buying a ticket to a Royals game if that would smooth this deal out. Since that would make me a significant part of their attendance, they should seriously consider my offer.

Of course, we almost went to see the Cubs play the Royals. That would really ice it. A game where Z pitched against the Cubs is a ticket I'd have to have.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
I would consider buying a ticket to a Royals game if that would smooth this deal out. Since that would make me a significant part of their attendance, they should seriously consider my offer.

Of course, we almost went to see the Cubs play the Royals. That would really ice it. A game where Z pitched against the Cubs is a ticket I'd have to have.

You guys would end up paying his salary anyway. When all the Cub fans flock to KC when they play in interleague (I know probley not next year) you guys make up for about a third of their yearly revenue from ticket sales. But at least you would get some enjoyment out of it this time.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
You guys would end up paying his salary anyway. When all the Cub fans flock to KC when they play in interleague (I know probley not next year) you guys make up for about a third of their yearly revenue from ticket sales. But at least you would get some enjoyment out of it this time.

No doubt we'd be on the hook for most or all of it. It's still a bargain.

If we could package Soriano. Maybe tell the Royals that he would be a great role model for their young DHs as they learn to play defense from that position.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Almost guaranteed he wins the Cy Young 3 or 4 times after he gets there.....THAT's what being a Cubs fan is all about.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
From the article,

"Carlos Zambrano is actually a very pleasant, easy going, classy person off the field. Sometimes, as with all of us the competitiveness takes over and brings out qualities in us that we are not proud of."

How many times have Cubs fan been fed this line of BS and now the Royals are saying it? I really don't care how he is OFF the field. I care that he's a maniac ON the field.
Did Zambrano write that himself?

The Royals need some form of veteran leadership (and probably more) and this, for obvious reasons, is not the answer.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
Almost guaranteed he wins the Cy Young 3 or 4 times after he gets there.....THAT's what being a Cubs fan is all about.

To be more accurate, Z will be a Cy Young winner after the Royals give up a top level prospect for him and then subsequently trade Z for a 38 year old veteran journeyman.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
To be more accurate, Z will be a Cy Young winner after the Royals give up a top level prospect for him and then subsequently trade Z for a 38 year old veteran journeyman.

I must have missed when Dayton Moore has made one of those deals... Care to enlighten me?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I'd take him if the Cubs pick up nearly all of his salary. We need at least one more good starting pitcher (even after the acquisition of Sanchez), and I would sooner we get a starter like Zambrano who is high risk/high reward for one year, then some innings eater with limited upside. Assuming the Cubs cover most of his salary, we wouldn't be out much if he falls apart, and if he regains his form he could be huge for our rotation.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
I must have missed when Dayton Moore has made one of those deals... Care to enlighten me?

Not an indictment of the DM, but simply an archetype of the past 20 years of the Royals business.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
I wouldn't mind him, but who would we get for him? He needs to be fixed mentally though. There's plenty of other pitchers out there who are better, maybe not pitching wise, but clubhouse wise. Like another person posted on here, we need veterans who will show this team how to play in the MLB. We have 38/40 players who are under the age of 30 so it would be nice to have a good role model. Again though, who would we trade him for? We have no pitching and I certainly wouldn't want to trade a position player for him.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
I wouldn't mind him, but who would we get for him? He needs to be fixed mentally though. There's plenty of other pitchers out there who are better, maybe not pitching wise, but clubhouse wise. Like another person posted on here, we need veterans who will show this team how to play in the MLB. We have 38/40 players who are under the age of 30 so it would be nice to have a good role model. Again though, who would we trade him for? We have no pitching and I certainly wouldn't want to trade a position player for him.

I am guessing it wouldn't necessary take like value to get Z given his contract. However, I am not sure that KC would be willing to take on that contract even if the trade cost were not that high.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
I hope the Cubs keep him. By trading him, the Cubs would have to eat most of the salary anyway. They might as well realize the benefit on the off chance that he puts together a decent year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron