The WV lawsuits

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Sorry I am not a lawyer but what do these lawsuits back and forth between WV and the Big East mean for WV coming to the Big 12?

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
What does it mean ... it means that WV is going to have to pay more then $5 million to be in the Big 12 next year.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
Realistically, I don't think WV will be here next year (at least not at a $5 million payout to the Big East; more $ could grease the wheels).

IIRC, WV is suing partially based on TCU leaving. My question would be, was TCU actually considered part of the Big East, or was their membership scheduled to start on July 1, 2012? The answer to that question, for me, makes a difference. My guess would be that TCU was not a current member, thus no 27-month wait.

I don't know enough about WV's other reasons (financial and so on), and haven't read the BE countersuit yet to have an opinion (when have you read that here before).

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I would think that legally, if the Big East had a 27 month agreement, why should WV be able to break it?

Same for A&M/Mizzou with Big 12. If there was a 10 year agreement last summer, why should they be able to break it? The problem with the B12 agreement though was that each of the AD's took each other at their word instead of getting it in writing.

In the end, I think WV stays in Big East until 2014. If TV execs void the B12 contracts for only having 9 teams, then Mizzou/A&M/SEC gets sued up the wazzu for the differences...so I think Mizzou stays until 2014.

Who knows though.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I would think that legally, if the Big East had a 27 month agreement, why should WV be able to break it?

Same for A&M/Mizzou with Big 12. If there was a 10 year agreement last summer, why should they be able to break it? The problem with the B12 agreement though was that each of the AD's took each other at their word instead of getting it in writing.

In the end, I think WV stays in Big East until 2014. If TV execs void the B12 contracts for only having 9 teams, then Mizzou/A&M/SEC gets sued up the wazzu for the differences...so I think Mizzou stays until 2014.

Who knows though.

They should be able to break it because the conference is not viable anymore. How many football members are there anymore? 6 or 7?

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
The suit is simply a parting gift. Contracts are made to be broken. There is no such thing as an ironclad contract that keeps things as arranged, only one that implements fair compensation when someone seeks a change.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
They will be here. Almost all contracts can be breached. This is just over how much they are going to have to pay. Big East cannot force WV to play for two more years in the Big East.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
I think it may all hang on whether or not the Big East can attract more football schools, which they are clearly trying to do. But if they cannot do that, then I believe the football part of the Big East folds and the remaining schools go elsewhere (i.e., Rutgers follows UConn to the ACC). So in that case, that is, if the football part of the conference implodes, there may be no penalties on any of the schools going elsewhere. Just a possibility, I know.

laxtonto

Dec 16, 2010
Denton
I wonder if anyone can get "Exhibit A" from the BE v WVU lawsuit... It is the BE amended bylaws in all of their screwed up twisted beauty..

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Just wondering how Pitt and Syracuse can leave early and not WVU? The same rules apply to all. And that is WVU's case.

Also, Mizzou would be liable for damages to the Big 12 if the TV contracts are nullified by the Big 12 having less than 10 schools. SEC will not take Mizzou unless that is no longer a factor.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just wondering how Pitt and Syracuse can leave early and not WVU? The same rules apply to all. And that is WVU's case.

Also, Mizzou would be liable for damages to the Big 12 if the TV contracts are nullified by the Big 12 having less than 10 schools. SEC will not take Mizzou unless that is no longer a factor.

BE saying that they are holding on to Pitt and cuse also. ACC doesn't need them for tv contracts like we need WV, so they will just ride it out and see what happens to WV lawsuit, IMO.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Could WVU's case go something like this?

We didn't sign up for a conference where we play service academies, teams in Idaho, and fast tracking Villanova from FCS?

I'd think that's a pretty good case that they should at least get some sort of compromise from the Big East. It's not like they were the first team to bolt, they're what, the 7th team to leave in the past decade? They should get a loyalty reward in comparison to the other defectors.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011

Pitt and 'Cuse are sitting out the waiting period (2 years of lame duck status? That should be interesting.)

Something must have happened on the Big 12 TV contract front, based on this report:

SEC source: Missouri to be announced as league's 14th team early next week - NCAA Football - Sporting News

If true, either 1) WVU reached a deal with the Big E, 2) Big 12 has agreed not to sue Missouri; or 3) TV contracts will stay intact regardless of when WVU moves.

That would (hopefully) conclude this round of conference roulette.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Pitt and 'Cuse are sitting out the waiting period (2 years of lame duck status? That should be interesting.)

Something must have happened on the Big 12 TV contract front, based on this report:

SEC source: Missouri to be announced as league's 14th team early next week - NCAA Football - Sporting News

If true, either 1) WVU reached a deal with the Big E, 2) Big 12 has agreed not to sue Missouri; or 3) TV contracts will stay intact regardless of when WVU moves.

Perhaps Mizzou has agreed to pay $28 million or so in exit fees and penalties. You stated earlier that exit fees were not an issue.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Yeah, a league of Uconn, Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, South Florida, Navy, Air Force, Central Florida, Houston, Boise State and South Florida still has an AQ bid.

Oh and Louisville is publicly trying everything it can to get in the Big 12.

Oh and UCONN and Rutgers are publicly trying to get into the ACC.

Oh and BSU/AFA aren't concrete committed to Big East yet.

Oh and Big East is considering Temple and Villanova as future teams.

Army wasn't interested, if I remember correctly.

This thing is unfortunately still far from over and Missouri played a monumental part in the whole thing, specifically dragging it out in a way that might have elongated the whole process by a year or more.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Yeah, a league of Uconn, Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, South Florida, Navy, Air Force, Central Florida, Houston, Boise State and South Florida still has an AQ bid.

Oh and Louisville is publicly trying everything it can to get in the Big 12.

Oh and UCONN and Rutgers are publicly trying to get into the ACC.

Oh and BSU/AFA aren't concrete committed to Big East yet.

Oh and Big East is considering Temple and Villanova as future teams.

Army wasn't interested, if I remember correctly.

This thing is unfortunately still far from over and Missouri played a monumental part in the whole thing, specifically dragging it out in a way that might have elongated the whole process by a year or more.

Agreed...

As far as I know, no OFFICIAL invites have been sent out from thr BE. I wouldn't expect any to go out until the WVU matter is settled. That way the BE can claim damages.

The Big 12 NEEDS a team for the 2012 schedule, and for the life of me, i can't understand why BYU isn't already in.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron