Public Displays of Affection

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
What limits should there be on public displays of affection?

What limits should there be on displays of affection within a school system?

In some schools hugging, holding hands, and giving high fives is not allowed.

Link:
Where Students Can't Hug - Yahoo! News

Big12Fan

Nov 24, 2006
Davenport
In a school system, hugging one another as a greeting shouldn't be banned. I would like to see adults in charge able to use their judgement to determine when a PDA is inappropriate.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
In a school system, hugging one another as a greeting shouldn't be banned. I would like to see adults in charge able to use their judgement to determine when a PDA is inappropriate.

Are you freakin serious? Cannot hug someone in high school? I thought the point of HS was to teach these kids the skills they need to make it through life. I am not sure what banning hugging is doing to help that except raising the contempt level in students towards authority. And on that topic, where do these school admins get off? They seem to live to try enforce their viewpoints on kids now anyway.

I am going to go crazy once my kids get into the public school system if people try to enforce this crap on them.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

I would have to agree with this. Hugging is not a big deal. Making out in the hallway is a different story.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I am going to go crazy once my kids get into the public school system if people try to enforce this crap on them.

Me too. If my kids get into trouble for high fiving or hugging a girl in the hallway, Im going to tell the official to stick it. I want my kids to have the same freedoms as I did. I knew the difference between right and wrong and what was acceptable behavior and what isnt. These people are creating a sterile world. Someday we are going to be like that movie Gattaca.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Me too. If my kids get into trouble for high fiving or hugging a girl in the hallway, Im going to tell the official to stick it. I want my kids to have the same freedoms as I did. I knew the difference between right and wrong and what was acceptable behavior and what isnt. These people are creating a sterile world. Someday we are going to be like that movie Gattaca.

You have that exactly right. I am just waiting for the day my kids get suspended because I tell their teacher/principal off.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Why are us American's so prude?

Probably the same crowd of corn cob up their butt conservatives that are trying to ban gay marriage. You cannot just let people be happy, you gotta horn in on their good time because your own life is so utterly without anything of importance in it.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Probably the same crowd of corn cob up their butt conservatives that are trying to ban gay marriage. You cannot just let people be happy, you gotta horn in on their good time because your own life is so utterly without anything of importance in it.

Isn't it funny that the "corn cob up their butt conservatives" trying to ban gay marriage are apparently the ones who enjoy having the corn cob up their butt? See: Larry "Wide Stance" Craig and Ted "It Was Only a Massage" Haggart.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Isn't it funny that the "corn cob up their butt conservatives" trying to ban gay marriage are apparently the ones who enjoy having the corn cob up their butt? See: Larry "Wide Stance" Craig and Ted "It Was Only a Massage" Haggart.

The ones that are most against it are the ones that are trying to hide something.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
As an educator I understand both sides. The educator side is afraid that we won't know/ can't tell when a hug is more than a hug and someone will get offended and the next thing you know we have a lawsuit (or threat of one) on our hands. Parents of kids these days are very diverse and you never know what you are going to get. On the other hand I also see the side of me that knows I have much more to worry about with a students education than that of who they are hugging.

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
Hey, I'm one of your "corn cob up the butt" conservatives you speak of, and I'm all FOR public displays of affection, at least between my wife and I.

We LIVE to gross out teenagers. (plus we wub each other sooooooo much!)

Seriously, stupid, zero tolerance rules are put in place by stupid, unable to reason or control kids employees/administrators of school systems, because they are incompetent idiots.

Competent people are able to maintain an organized school environment.

iceclone

Nov 26, 2006
Hey, I'm one of your "corn cob up the butt" conservatives you speak of, and I'm all FOR public displays of affection, at least between my wife and I.

Herbie, just because you write for a living and should know better: "Between my wife and me." Sorry, hypercorrection just bugs me.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Are you freakin serious? Cannot hug someone in high school? I thought the point of HS was to teach these kids the skills they need to make it through life. I am not sure what banning hugging is doing to help that except raising the contempt level in students towards authority. And on that topic, where do these school admins get off? They seem to live to try enforce their viewpoints on kids now anyway.

I'm guessing you read that post wrong. It seems as if you both agree on the central point. Just trying to right a wrong there:wink:

View attachment 944

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
Herbie, just because you write for a living and should know better: "Between my wife and me." Sorry, hypercorrection just bugs me.

That, is a change. At least from Newell-Providence 5th grade Miss Holst. (All the 5th grade boys thought she was awesome, too!)

Well, I write for a military audience. It makes my semi-literacy appear to be F. Scott Fitzgerald-esque. :wink: