Big 12 Exploring Network

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Thought this was important enough to have a side thread....

In a regularly-scheduled meeting today at an undisclosed Dallas area location, the Big 12 Conference Board of Directors reaffirmed previous action to execute institutional grants of Tier 1 (over-the-air) and Tier 2 (cable) television rights to the Conference.

The Board also discussed a wide range of topics including NCAA legislation, the Bowl Championship Series, and exploration of a Conference dedicated TV network. Additionally, a strong desire for the University of Missouri to maintain its Big 12 affiliation was expressed. All 10 member institutions and TCU participated in the meeting.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
If it happens...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHZ_3FIiF2E&feature=related]Iowa vs. Iowa State Game - YouTube[/ame]

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
We need a B12-Texas network. It doesn't even have to include OU. It doesn't have to make much money (and won't because of the few TV sets in the midwest). But the perception and exposure of a network in today's age is getting critical.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The question is, how did those discussions go? Enough support for it, or one or two members bringing it up and it then getting shot down. Hoping because it was mentioned it means it has a chance of happening.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Let's see who has networks

B10- check
Pac12- check
SEC - once expansion is done, check
ACC- ?
Big East if they survive - currently in discussions

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Believe it when I see it. They talked about it 2007 too and here we are, in the middle of **** creek with 3 schools gone and a 4th ready to jump.

Totally agree.

However, why put that tidbit out there for the public if you didn't think it was likely you'd do it???

Riddle me that.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Believe it when I see it. They talked about it 2007 too and here we are, in the middle of **** creek with 3 schools gone and a 4th ready to jump.
And I think the Big 12 has seen the repercussions of not doing it in 2007. 3 schools have left and a 4th is teetering on the edge. More reason to do it now to build stability and make the big schools want to stay.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Totally agree.

However, why put that tidbit out there for the public if you didn't think it was likely you'd do it???

Riddle me that.

To help put a positive spin on a situation which has generated nothing but negative publicity. "See? We are all trying to get along! Big12 luvs cooperation! Yeeeaaahhh!!! Shinny things!!!"

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Let's see who has networks

B10- check
Pac12- check
SEC - once expansion is done, check
ACC- ?
Big East if they survive - currently in discussions

Mountain West has a network as well. Not a big money maker compared to the Big 10, but the simple fact they were able to do so means the major conferences should be doing it as well.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Do whatever it takes! Get a network NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Serious question. What are you expecting to see on this network? I think people picture the Big 10 network and I don't think that is what it would be.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
To help put a positive spin on a situation which has generated nothing but negative publicity. "See? We are all trying to get along! Big12 luvs cooperation! Yeeeaaahhh!!! Shinny things!!!"

Thing is, it COULD have been a cash cow. Except a lot of the best programming (UT and OU games) is already tied up (or being tied up) in Longhorn and Sooner networks.

We all should have listened to Kevin Weiberg when we had the chance...

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
The ACC does as well, as I've seen commercials that is shown on 13.3 in Des Moines

There are Networks and then there are "networks." For instance the SEC and Big 12 (and I'm guessing the ACC model right now too) have a network that runs from 11-2:30 on Saturdays. It's called ESPN owns the programming, needs to put it on a local channel, and calls it a "network."

Then there are Networks like the Big 10 network that runs 24/7 on cable as it's own channel. This is what the SEC is going to be starting along with the PAC.

There is a big difference, called cable subscription fees and advertising dollars from the 24/7 network.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron