Human Organs For Sale?

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
U.S. federal law bans the sale of human organs. However with the demand for kidney transplants far outstripping the number of donors, some economists are urging the adoption of market-based innovations to increase supply. I have linked a paper authored by economists Gary S. Becker and Julio Elias, who argue that monetary incentives are the most efficient way to boost the number of organs available for transplant, and should be introduced.

Link:
http://home.uchicago.edu/~gbecker/MarketforLiveandCadavericOrganDonations_Becker_Elias.pdf

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
Organ donation is roughly analogous to college athletics. Everyone manages to make money in the process, except the one who is actually providing the "material". They are expected to sacrifice their body for "free" or are looked down upon, by those same people who are rolling in the dough.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Organ donation is roughly analogous to college athletics. Everyone manages to make money in the process, except the one who is actually providing the "material". They are expected to sacrifice their body for "free" or are looked down upon, by those same people who are rolling in the dough.
...But your dead, I don't think anyone is forcing you to give up a kidney while you're living or be an outcast. You should do it because it's the right thing to do, what kind of compensation would you propose for the dead?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Human Organ discussion in one thread and fast food burgers in another.

*sigh.

-keep

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
What can you lose....1 kidney, 1 lung, half liver, gallbladder, appendix. Am I missing one?

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
An excerpt from the linked article....

"Interestingly, in Iran payment to live donors of organs is legal, but the Iranian theocratic government outlaws the use of organs from cadevers for transplants because that is assumed to violate the Koran."

Personally, I found Table 5 to be interesting. Table 5 considers the most important arguments that have been advanced against payment for organs by comparing that system with issues raised by a volunteer army (see page 45).

iceclone

Nov 26, 2006
An excerpt from the linked article....

"Interestingly, in Iran payment to live donors of organs is legal, but the Iranian theocratic government outlaws the use of organs from cadevers for transplants because that is assumed to violate the Koran."

Personally, I found Table 5 to be interesting. Table 5 considers the most important arguments that have been advanced against payment for organs by comparing that system with issues raised by a volunteer army (see page 45).

Page 45 ????

This is completely unreasonable. At best you can expect us internet posters to click on the link and read the abstract. Getting to page 45 is just way out of line :wink:

[/soapbox]

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
About 5 years ago I signed up for a Liver Transplant. It was a free website you can log onto and sign it just in case you needed a new liver. You could also order a shirt with your rank and number on it to wear while you went out drinking. I'm wondering where I stand on the list, but alas I can't find the website anymore.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
About 5 years ago I signed up for a Liver Transplant. It was a free website you can log onto and sign it just in case you needed a new liver. You could also order a shirt with your rank and number on it to wear while you went out drinking. I'm wondering where I stand on the list, but alas I can't find the website anymore.

According to the paper the median waiting time for a liver transplant was 430 days during calendar year 2002. However a factor that should be considered when reviewing the aforementioned statistic is that 15% of the population that is waiting on a liver transplant dies while waiting.

The risk of a living liver donor dying as a result of a liver transplant is estimated at no more than .33%.

The average cost of a liver transplant in the US is $335,000. The estimated market price of a liver is $37,500.

The paper analyzes the morality issues connected with selling human organs (pages 25-28).

The paper concludes that permitting people to sell their organs would dramatically increase the supply of organs available for transplant while not not appreciably increasing the cost of transplant operations.

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
...But your dead, I don't think anyone is forcing you to give up a kidney while you're living or be an outcast. You should do it because it's the right thing to do, what kind of compensation would you propose for the dead?

Are you saying that dead people have no bills? Or, more precisely, the relatives and former dependents of dead people should just "play ball" with the doctors, hospital administrators and insurance companies that make money off the transplant?

Maybe you should suggest that the "right thing to do" would be for the people making a profit off the transplant should do it for free? I mean, it's "the right thing to do."